650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Fuel > > stock jetting for aftermarket exhaust??

stock jetting for aftermarket exhaust??
    Forum Index -> Fuel
benztech

PostPosted: September 9, 2009, 9:22 pm    Post subject: stock jetting for aftermarket exhaust??

My 75' came with a kerker 2-1 exhaust. I'm not running the megaphone as it fell off on the highway about a month ago. Sad So basically I have just pipes and nothing else. (I run the stock airboxes with new filters from mikesxs)

I got the PAMCO, new advance springs, timing is set and valves are in spec.

here is my issue. I get a 2500rpm dead spot. bike will sputter till about 3k and then she'll pull out of it. the bike will start first kick, idle all day, but I get that dang dead spot and I feel a lack of power going WOT. I also getting backfires going WOT and letting off the throttle. following the carb guide, everything is stock in the carbs and set to factory. I bought an NOS carb rebuld kit and it came with a float guage and I set the floats correctly.

i'm assuming I need more fuel, but when I pull the plugs they look rich. any info would be great.

FYI, I have lambda gauge and i'm tempted to rig that sucker to my bike.
schtipp

PostPosted: September 18, 2009, 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: stock jetting for aftermarket exhaust??

try moving the c-clip one slot leaner on the needles
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: September 18, 2009, 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: stock jetting for aftermarket exhaust??

Was it running well before your exhaust dissapeared?

Some set ups are just untuneable, fix you exhaust first!

woodman

PostPosted: September 29, 2009, 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: stock jetting for aftermarket exhaust??

leaner ?
gordo
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: September 29, 2009, 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: stock jetting for aftermarket exhaust??

woodman, try bringing the needle up a notch. The stock pilot jet work's through the whole rpm range, but on the transfer stage(about 2000-2500rpm) is when the diaphragm's start to lift. And above like5000, your running on all three, pilot,slides full open, main jet. I would try one notch richer first. If it gets better, go one more. And vise- versa. But as yamaman stated, you should get a muffler,for your own ear's sake.
woodman

PostPosted: October 8, 2009, 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: stock jetting for aftermarket exhaust??

Schtipp said to make it leaner, raising the needle is richer {lowering the clip}, raising the clip, is leaner {lowering the needle}, I agree with you

Forum Index -> Fuel All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1