650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Electrical > > Stator and Rotor

Stator and Rotor
Go to page 1, 2  Next
    Forum Index -> Electrical
islanddave

PostPosted: August 15, 2009, 3:24 pm    Post subject: Stator and Rotor

Well............I just can't seem to catch a break!! I redid my wiring ordered a new voltage regulator and rectifier and in haste I did not fully seat the stator before tightening the screws that secure it. As a result the rotor came into contact with the stator gouging the inside of the stator assembly and the outside of the rotor when I started it up. Not charging at all despite the fact that the resistance for the rotor and the stator are within spec even after this mishap. Not getting full voltage at the positive brush actually it fluctuates from 3 volts to 10 volts.....sounds like a broken wire feeding the power to the brush. This Sparx system is sounding better and better all the time, especially given the fact that new rotors don't exist anywhere!!!!

Anybody want to buy a barely used reg/rect?

Dave
islanddave

PostPosted: August 15, 2009, 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Stator and Rotor

I am going to drive around with a bunch of big deep cycle batteries in my back pack and ride with no charging system whatsoever!!!!!!! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Dave
pumps
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

Location: Kansas City, Missouri, U.S.A.- 1977 XS650 "D" Standard

PostPosted: August 15, 2009, 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Stator and Rotor

You know mike has new rotors?
www.mikesxs.net/produc...l#products

Also there are places that will rewind the rotors.
customrewind.com/

My Bikes
Photo Gallery
islanddave

PostPosted: August 15, 2009, 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Stator and Rotor

Mikes is out of stock on rotors........and my stator is damaged so i think that even a rewind is out of the question.

Dave
gordo
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: August 15, 2009, 10:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Stator and Rotor

Dave, there was a post sometime back about rewinding the rotor yourself. Not a real hard job, just go to your local rewind shop & purchase the wire for the rotor.
I believe the length needed is 320 feet.
If you can't find it here, try the 650 garage. Smile

islanddave

PostPosted: August 16, 2009, 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: Stator and Rotor

Well both the rotor and the stator are physically damaged......don't know if that is responsible for the sytem not charging or not common sense would indicate so..however both read within spec. I am going to jump wire power to the positive brush from the regulator/rectifier to see if that helps. I think that there is a broken connection somewhere between the stator and the reg/rect.

I will let ya know.

Thanks Dave
islanddave

PostPosted: August 16, 2009, 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Stator and Rotor

OK.................heres the deal!!!!

When I test for voltage at the positive brush I get about .11 volts...........when I remove the stator from the bike, and the bushes are not touching the rotor I get almost full battery voltage.

What's up with that everybody............my specs for both the stator and and rotor are within spec still even after the rotor and stator where physically
damaged. On the stator the part that surrounds the rotor got gouged in one
area and so did the rotor.

Is the rotor grounding out?

Thanks Dave

Still might be selling that nearly brand new voltage reg/rect if the rest of my system is screwed cause then I will just get a Sparx and be done with all of this crap!!!!
xsleo

PostPosted: August 16, 2009, 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Stator and Rotor

If you rotor is grounding you will get a low ohm reading between the slip rings and ground. If the reading is very high as in many megaohms to infinity. then it's ok, the same with the stator.

'75 XS650B with a 79 dual disc front end, rear disk brake, Chrysler reg, Radio Shack rect, LED tail/ brake and turn signals.
Photo Gallery
islanddave

PostPosted: August 16, 2009, 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Stator and Rotor

my rotor is at 5 ohms and I get infinity from slip ring to rotor body and the stator is .8 ohms and I get infinity from each white wire to ground

Dave
xsleo

PostPosted: August 16, 2009, 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Stator and Rotor

That is very good. I think the voltage drop with the stator on, with brushes contacting the rotor is from the current draw from the rotor. I maybe wrong on that.
With everything installed, do you have battery voltage at the brown wire after the main switch? If you do then checking the voltage at the brushes, the brown wire, at the brown wire into the regulator. You should get battery voltage at all these places.
The regulator needs battery voltage at brown wire. This is how the regulator knows if the battery is low.
There are splices in the brown wire in the harness that connect to the brushes and regulator. These could be a problem.
Running a fused wire from the battery to the brown wire on both the brush and the regulator will bypass the wiring harness.
If the regulator is working then you should get a charge. If it is then the brown wire in the harness needs fixing.
The splices are just a metal tube crimped on the wires. After many years of vibration they can get loose. Soldering the splices will should fix them.

'75 XS650B with a 79 dual disc front end, rear disk brake, Chrysler reg, Radio Shack rect, LED tail/ brake and turn signals.
Photo Gallery
islanddave

PostPosted: August 16, 2009, 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Stator and Rotor

Well this is what my reg/rect has running from it:

Red wire.....to battery with a 20 amp fuse
Blue wire....to any 12 volt switched line (this wire senses voltage)
Orange wire to the positive brush in the stator
Green wire that goes to ground
Three yellow wires that go to the three white from the stator

I have full voltage at the red wire,blue wire and orange wire(but only at the orange wire when the brushes are not in contact with the rotor)

Just don't know!!!!! Very Happy Smile Sad Surprised Shocked Confused Cool Laughing Mad Razz Embarassed Crying or Very sad Evil or Very Mad Twisted Evil Rolling Eyes Wink Exclamation Question Idea Arrow Mr. Green Rolling Eyes
locoleon

PostPosted: August 16, 2009, 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Stator and Rotor

islanddave wrote:

Anybody want to buy a barely used reg/rect?

Dave

How much do you want for the reg/rect?
Is it the Mikes XS one?
I do have a spare stator and Rotor that I pulled from my 75 xs 650 if you want to trade. Im in Toronto.

Cheers
NOel
416 888 3030
islanddave

PostPosted: August 17, 2009, 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: Stator and Rotor

Well........if I trade the reg/rect in order to get the stator and rotor then I would have to buy another voltGE reg/rect LOL

PM ME AND WE WILL DISCUSS HOW MUCH YOU WANT FOR BOTH THOSE ITEMS..............ARE YOU THE FELLA FROM "DO THE TON"..IF SO NICE WEB SITE AND NICE PROJECT BIKE!

DAVE
locoleon

PostPosted: August 17, 2009, 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: Stator and Rotor

islanddave wrote:
Well........if I trade the reg/rect in order to get the stator and rotor then I would have to buy another voltGE reg/rect LOL

PM ME AND WE WILL DISCUSS HOW MUCH YOU WANT FOR BOTH THOSE ITEMS..............ARE YOU THE FELLA FROM "DO THE TON"..IF SO NICE WEB SITE AND NICE PROJECT BIKE!

DAVE

yep.. that would be me...
Im glad you like the site..
PM sent.
Joseph

PostPosted: August 17, 2009, 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: Stator and Rotor

What does that mean "do the ton"?
Photo Gallery
pumps
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

Location: Kansas City, Missouri, U.S.A.- 1977 XS650 "D" Standard

PostPosted: August 17, 2009, 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: Stator and Rotor

Go 100 mph.

My Bikes
Photo Gallery
xsleo

PostPosted: August 17, 2009, 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: Stator and Rotor

Lets see if we can translate your reg/rect to Yamaha.
Yours---------------------------------Yamaha
Red wire - battery with fuse = Red to battery with fuse
Blue wire - 12 volts after switch = Brown - 12 volt after switch
Orange wire - Positive brush =
Green wire - ground = black - ground
3 yellow wires = 3 white
I didn't put in a Yamaha wire on your orange wire. Yamaha is wired a bit differently.
Red - battery
Black - ground
Green - negative brush
Brown - 12 volts after switch
3 whites - stator
positive brush - 12 volts after switch
I am assuming that you wired your reg/rect by the directions that came with it. Mike's sells a reg/rect for the 79 and earlier and one for 80 and after. Coming from Japan or China the directions may be wrong. This may apply to other suppliers.
On an 80 and later both brushes are floating, one not grounded. On the 79 and earlier one brush is grounded. This is why on Pamcopete's conversions the early models need the 3 nylon screws.
I'm not sure what year your bike is or just what reg/rect you have. If your bike is a later model or has the 3 nylon screw mod I might try hooking 12 volts after the switch to the other brush, the one that doesn't have the orange wire hooked to, one brush orange the other hooked to 12 volts.
I don't know if you know how the regulator works. It turns the voltage to the rotor on and off. The early models, the regulator controlled the voltage before the brushes, one brush hot one ground. On the later models the regulator controls the voltage after the brushes, one hot the other to the regulator for ground.
aybe someone that's more experienced on this can chime in and help.

Photo Gallery
islanddave

PostPosted: August 17, 2009, 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Stator and Rotor

This reg/rect is from Mikes and it is the one for 1979 and older bikes. My bike is a 1978 is one brush is hot while the other is grounded.
xsleo

PostPosted: August 17, 2009, 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Stator and Rotor

Do you still have the stock regulator and rectifier? Do they work ? If so you can try putting them back on to check things out.
I did the Pamcopete mods to my 75, the stock parts are still good, just wanted something a little better, by better I mean more reliable and less expensive, and can get parts most anywhere.
Have you tried contacting Mike's about it yet? He may know what the problem might be.

Photo Gallery
islanddave

PostPosted: August 17, 2009, 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Stator and Rotor

No the old parts are long gone...........I am pretty sure the stator is at fault with all of that damage even though it still measures within spec......don't think that Mike's would be any help Gonna try running a ground back to the battery from the reg/rect instead of just goin to the frame don't think that will matter much though.

Dave
xsleo

PostPosted: August 17, 2009, 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Stator and Rotor

It's not a bad idea. grounds can be very problematic.
When I rewired mine I ran grounds from everything right back to the battery. As well as grounds in the frame.

Photo Gallery
locoleon

PostPosted: August 17, 2009, 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Stator and Rotor

islanddave wrote:
No the old parts are long gone...........I am pretty sure the stator is at fault with all of that damage even though it still measures within spec......don't think that Mike's would be any help Gonna try running a ground back to the battery from the reg/rect instead of just goin to the frame don't think that will matter much though.

Dave

Well, I also have a 3 stock rectifiers + 2 stock regulators....

I had charging problems with my bike and couldnt figure it out until I realized that the aftermarket regualtor was not grounded properly... Evil or Very Mad by then I bought a spare rotor, spare stator + spare rect/reg.
islanddave

PostPosted: August 19, 2009, 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Stator and Rotor

Surprise.....surprise..............I made a mistake!!

I re-tested my stator and rotor and both resistance values went down after the rotor came into contact with the stator. The rotor is now at 4.9ohms down from 5 and the stator is at .4 down from .8 ohms. So it is no wonder that it is not charging! Had a kind offer of a stator and a rotor from another member but I think that maybe instead of spending $150 on a 34 year old stator and rotor the money should be put towards a new Sparx system. I am tired of fixing (and destroying) my charging system.....an old stator and rotor will fail again before a new one will. So swallow hard shell out the money and lessons well learned!

Thanks

Dave
locoleon

PostPosted: August 19, 2009, 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Stator and Rotor

islanddave wrote:
Surprise.....surprise..............I made a mistake!!

I re-tested my stator and rotor and both resistance values went down after the rotor came into contact with the stator. The rotor is now at 4.9ohms down from 5 and the stator is at .4 down from .8 ohms. So it is no wonder that it is not charging! Had a kind offer of a stator and a rotor from another member but I think that maybe instead of spending $150 on a 34 year old stator and rotor the money should be put towards a new Sparx system. I am tired of fixing (and destroying) my charging system.....an old stator and rotor will fail again before a new one will. So swallow hard shell out the money and lessons well learned!

Thanks

Dave

good call... especially if you plan on keeping the bike for a long time yet!!
A new SPARX system will be well worth the money over the long-term.

Also, get your hands on a voltmeter gauge!.. Its awesome!

Forum Index -> Electrical All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2