650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Welcome > > Introduce yourself to the community here > > New to this blog. Hi everyone from Illinois.

New to this blog. Hi everyone from Illinois.
    Forum Index -> Introduce yourself to the community here
musicman58

PostPosted: July 20, 2009, 12:01 am    Post subject: New to this blog. Hi everyone from Illinois.

I just registered and have been enjoying the posts. I recently bought a 1972 XS2 with 16K miles and all original. Awesome find. I will post pics later. I am currently sorting things out and going through the systems. Nasty front brakes, can't find a master cyl rebuild kit....arrrgh. Lately I have been trying to clean and adjust the points. I think that I want to go electronic here....what experience has everyone had? Any points purists out there? Anyway, I will have more posts and pictures as I get used to the procedures. Thanks.
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: July 20, 2009, 1:52 am    Post subject: Re: New to this blog. Hi everyone from Illinois.

Welcome musicman58,
Look in the Vault that has a lot of links to posts that will help out the beginners. The pamco is the way to go if you go electric and he will bend over backwards to sort any problems. Look under "Ignition" in the Vault for points.

Get a workshop manual, or you can download one through the vault, Manual - Parts List.

You may have a lot of trouble finding the master cylinder rebuild kits. Might have to get a non genuine one from Mikes XS if you don't mind non genuine.

Yea and post pics, pics and more pics Smile
Photo Gallery
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: July 20, 2009, 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: New to this blog. Hi everyone from Illinois.

musicman58 wrote:
I just registered and have been enjoying the posts. I recently bought a 1972 XS2 with 16K miles and all original. Awesome find. I will post pics later. I am currently sorting things out and going through the systems. Nasty front brakes, can't find a master cyl rebuild kit....arrrgh. Lately I have been trying to clean and adjust the points. I think that I want to go electronic here....what experience has everyone had? Any points purists out there? Anyway, I will have more posts and pictures as I get used to the procedures. Thanks.
the points system actully works quite well if you're familiar with points systems biggest problems seem to be the advance mechanism, (now availible from mikes) but if you want the least maintance I'd definatly go with the Pamco, master cylinder kits for the old brake run about $80 if you can find them (maybe tuckerrocky, dealers only) so unless your doing a restore a new MC is easier to do, any hoot welcome to the group

worthless_thread_wo_pics.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  41.63 KB
 Viewed:  159 Time(s)

worthless_thread_wo_pics.gif

pumps
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

Location: Kansas City, Missouri, U.S.A.- 1977 XS650 "D" Standard

PostPosted: July 20, 2009, 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: New to this blog. Hi everyone from Illinois.

jayel lolol

My Bikes
Photo Gallery
TwistedLeather

PostPosted: July 22, 2009, 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: New to this blog. Hi everyone from Illinois.

I'm having similar difficulties with Master Cylinder rebuild kits for my '74 TX, If you have the same master cylinder, find someone selling a rebuild kit for any 16mm bore master cylinder, use your existing piston and just use the rubber bits from the new kit. It will save a bundle I promise.

Butch.

650skull
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: July 22, 2009, 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: New to this blog. Hi everyone from Illinois.

TwistedLeather wrote:
I'm having similar difficulties with Master Cylinder rebuild kits for my '74 TX, If you have the same master cylinder, find someone selling a rebuild kit for any 16mm bore master cylinder, use your existing piston and just use the rubber bits from the new kit. It will save a bundle I promise.

Butch.

I'm a bit confused Confused ..........Are you still having difficulties finding the kit or have you done this fix yourself. ..........if you have what is the kit you used Question
I am looking for one for my 74TX
Photo Gallery
pamcopete
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: July 22, 2009, 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: New to this blog. Hi everyone from Illinois.

Well, I'm always amazed by members who will spend all year rebuilding their bike, spending hundreds if not thousands of dollars on the performance and apearance of the bike, but when it comes time to put the bike on the road, they try to save money on the brakes!

The brakes on most of our bikes are as old as the bikes themselves, like 30 years old. Brake fluid attracts water, so the Master Cylinder, brake lines and calipers are, like, totaly corroded and filled with rust particles that can make for a short day.

IMHO, the only brake component that can be rebuilt is the caliper because it is possible to completly disassemble it, clean it and replace the parts that are toast. The master cylinder and brake lines should be replaced with new.

Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: July 22, 2009, 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: New to this blog. Hi everyone from Illinois.

Pamcopete, is right. Brakes should never be scrimped on. They are your life

TwistedLeather, your statement is ambiguous. You say you are having difficulties finding a fix, then suggesting a cheep fix without any details........... Witch is it Question
Photo Gallery
TwistedLeather

PostPosted: July 22, 2009, 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: New to this blog. Hi everyone from Illinois.

Sorry about the confusion folks. I should have said I WAS having trouble with the master cylinder ...etc. I picked up a generic master cylinder rebuild kit from a local shop that didn't have a lable on it, but the piston had the same diameter as mine...paid like 5 bucks for it. The pressure and volume cups were identical to my TX but the piston was a different length so I used my old piston, spring, and clip then used their rubber bits...even the dust cover fit. I understand that occasionally the barrels of the MC will be pitted and not good for rebuilding, but in my situation, there was no corrosion in the bore or on the spring so I figure they are good to go. I WILL say that if someone offered a round reservoir M/C with a screw on top new, I'd be all over it. Unfortunately, I'm not aware of anything like that, so I'm doing what I can to use what I have.

B.

musicman58

PostPosted: July 29, 2009, 11:20 pm    Post subject: Re: New to this blog. Hi everyone from Illinois.

Thanks for all of the replies everyone! I think that I will go with the Pamco unit, but am hesitant to replace the original master cylinder with the after-market one from Mikes. I have everything disassembled and cleaned, so will look for rebuild parts. This bike is too nice not to do it right. Curious why everyone has a rebuild kit for the newer bikes, but not the 72??

PostPosted: July 30, 2009, 6:06 am    Post subject: Re: New to this blog. Hi everyone from Illinois.

Master Cylinder parts for the 72-76 models have been non-existant for decades. The only possibilty for a rebuild kit is new OLD stock from Speed & Sport in Pa. (see our web links). If they have it expect to pay
about $85.00/kit. There are No interchanges. The guy using the parts from another kit is lucky as there are NO interchanges ( I checked all 85 OEM kits available from a large distributor and none match). We intend to have All of the early Calipers and master cylinders reproduced but it will have to wait a while as this will cost a good $100,000.00.
In the meantime pamco Pete's advice is the best as sailing thru a stop into something solid is not good nor is advising others that you just measure up and use parts from any old parts that have the same diameter.

Mike @ Mikes XS

Forum Index -> Introduce yourself to the community here All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1