650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Drive > > chain tightening

chain tightening
Go to page 1, 2  Next
    Forum Index -> Drive
Jeffery

PostPosted: June 23, 2009, 12:00 am    Post subject: chain tightening

I am having trouble getting my chain adjusted. Every time I go to adjust the chain adjusters the front of the rear wheel gets cocked to the right hitting the stabilizer arm. I took the wheel off to inspect things closer. I noticed that the long sleeve that sets inside the wheel, between the bearings, has lost the little ring that once was attached to it. I think the ring just helps center the sleeve so you can slide the rear axle bolt through easier. I am not sure how that ring was once attached (maybe spot welded) but could that be what is preventing the chain and wheel alighnment problem? The ring is just setting loosely aroung the sleeve now. Can wheel bearings be removed and reused or are they damaged by removal?
Jeffery
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: June 23, 2009, 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: chain tightening

even measurements from center of the swingarm bolt to the center of the axle on both sides is how to adjust the chain,
if your trying to use those worthless marks on the swingarm it will never be right,
axle nut tight?
the only other thing would be bad bearings, any loosness in the wheel?
the center tube wouldn't cause your problem

pamcopete
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: June 23, 2009, 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: chain tightening

Well, for super accurate rear wheel / chain adjustment, I use a laser level held to each side of the tire to produce a laser line on each side of the front tire. Mark and measure the distance from those lines to the front tire sidewall. Adjust the rear wheel chain sdjusters to obtain equal distance from each laser line to the sides of the front tire. The lines should also be parallel to the front tire. If not, then the frame or swing arm is twisted.

Not only does this method ensure that the chain is adjusted, but it takes into consideration any irregularities in the frame and front wheel geometry for true front to rear wheel tracking. (no crabing) Also minimizes the tendancy for the rear wheel to go sideways if you lock it up with the brakes.

PostPosted: June 23, 2009, 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: chain tightening

Thanks, I'm going to have to look this over a little closer today. The wheel has new spokes and new bearings, seals. It seems like the brake stabilizer is causing it to pull to one side. As I tighten the left chain adjuster the right one ends up further back then the left one even though I haven't adjusted it yet. This pulls the front of the tire into the brake rod.
Jeffery
pamcopete
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: June 23, 2009, 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: chain tightening

jeffery,

You probably know this, but you have to loosen the bolt holding the brake stabilizer rod to the brake when you adjust the chain. You should also loosen the brake adjusting rod as well.

PostPosted: June 23, 2009, 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: chain tightening

Does it mention that in any manual? It does make sense and I was playing around with it this afternoon and realized it does center when those two are loose but I didn't remember seeing that in the manual.
Jeffery
xsleo

PostPosted: June 24, 2009, 4:16 am    Post subject: Re: chain tightening

I might suggest that when you get the chain set right, if you have a drum brake on the rear, that when you tighten the axle nut you hold the brake pedal down. This expands the pads out to press evenly on the drum to center the drum around the pads. This will help the brake work better, both pads will hit the drum at the same time.

'75 XS650B with a 79 dual disc front end, rear disk brake, Chrysler reg, Radio Shack rect, LED tail/ brake and turn signals.
Photo Gallery
nudude53

PostPosted: June 24, 2009, 4:23 am    Post subject: Re: chain tightening

That is some excellent advice Leo.
xsleo

PostPosted: June 24, 2009, 4:44 am    Post subject: Re: chain tightening

When I heard it the first time I didn't think it would matter, until I tried it. If the drum is off center the brakes work, but not as strong. I did it just to see and it made a noticeable difference. The brake felt stronger and the bike stopped quicker. Less grabby.

'75 XS650B with a 79 dual disc front end, rear disk brake, Chrysler reg, Radio Shack rect, LED tail/ brake and turn signals.
Photo Gallery
Jeffery

PostPosted: June 24, 2009, 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: chain tightening

Great info. Thanks to everyone. Best manual is this forum.
Jeffery
JeffM

PostPosted: June 24, 2009, 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: chain tightening

Great info re the laser and the brake... Thanks 5twins and Leo!!
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: June 24, 2009, 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: chain tightening

xsleo wrote:
if you have a drum brake on the rear, that when you tighten the axle nut you hold the brake pedal down. This expands the pads out to press evenly on the drum to center the drum around the pads. both pads will hit the drum at the same time.
another bit of info that is so old you would think every one knows it, yes it's the proper way to set a drum brake, centers the shoes to the axle/drum..... good call leo (p.s. note to self upgrade xsleo to XS guru rank)

nudude53

PostPosted: June 25, 2009, 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: chain tightening

Yep, adjusted my chain yesterday after I installed the Pamco. Had my brother step on the brake while I tightened and torqued the axle. It sure did make a big difference in the brakes. I just put new shoes in it about 3 months ago and they seemed weak to me, been using the front brake more than I should have to. I guess they just weren't squared up with the drum. DUH!!! Rolling Eyes

Thanks again Leo. Old dogs CAN learn new tricks.

xsjohn

PostPosted: June 25, 2009, 6:29 am    Post subject: Re: chain tightening

You poor guys with drum brakes..... Laughing .....you can also increase the length of the rear brake arm for more brake.........on the ole RT1 I used to add an inch to the length....slice and add and re-weld and paint...........

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
nudude53

PostPosted: June 25, 2009, 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: chain tightening

Nag nag nag!!!
xsjohn

PostPosted: June 25, 2009, 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: chain tightening

Guess I better check my estrogen level............. been feeling bitchy lately ...... hope that dang joan isn't lurking again..... Laughing

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
nudude53

PostPosted: June 25, 2009, 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: chain tightening

She must be, now she wants me to put a turkey platter on my rear wheel.
xjwmx

PostPosted: June 25, 2009, 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: chain tightening

I'd as soon have a weak rear brake as a strong one. If you use both brakes together, a weak rear will still lock up (not a good thing), as the weight gets thrown forward. When I use the rear brake alone for low speed turning, I might have to press a little harder than I would with a strong brake, but that's all.
Photo Gallery
Jeffery

PostPosted: June 25, 2009, 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: chain tightening

Speaking of brakes. Has anyone seen the bike that Scottfree built. The bike can be seen on Tigman the welders site. One of the coolest lookin 650's I've ever seen. He had built a chopper that operated both front and rear brakes via the front lever. Has anyone done this before? I can see the safety issue. Moto Guzzi had something similiar a few years back but they had both a foot brake lever and handlebar lever that applied both brakes. I suppose you could control or vary the pressure to each but wouldn't know how to go about setting it up.
Jeffery
650skull
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: June 25, 2009, 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: chain tightening

Don't you just love it when someone tells you about something cool to look at, then have to search the web in the hope it is on there Laughing Post the links
Photo Gallery
Jeffery

PostPosted: June 25, 2009, 11:59 pm    Post subject: Re: chain tightening

Google Tigman then go to frames click on XS 650. Then click on 4th picture straight down. I want a bike just like that. That 40 degree rake looks good. I think the headlight came from Jammer. For greater detail of his build go to 650 motorcylces website and do a search on the name Scott Ferrera.
Jeffery

Last edited by Jeffery on June 26, 2009, 12:30 am; edited 1 time in total
nudude53

PostPosted: June 26, 2009, 12:09 am    Post subject: Re: chain tightening

Jeffery wrote:
I want a bike just like that.

Why?

xsjohn

PostPosted: June 26, 2009, 12:23 am    Post subject: Re: chain tightening

I want a bike just like the one I have............. Laughing

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
Jeffery

PostPosted: June 26, 2009, 12:32 am    Post subject: Re: chain tightening

Cause I likes it. I have a tracker, cafe bike and a chopper like that would make it all complete at least for now.
Jeffery

Forum Index -> Drive All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2