650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > The Vault > > The Vault > > Wheels, Tyres, Sprockets, Gears, RPM-MPH

Wheels, Tyres, Sprockets, Gears, RPM-MPH
    Forum Index -> The Vault
650skull
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: June 12, 2009, 7:34 am    Post subject: Wheels, Tyres, Sprockets, Gears, RPM-MPH

Spreadsheet: RPM vs MPH Standard, and Mikes O/D Gear. by pamcopete www.amckayltd.com/xs650revs.xls
Here is a link explaining "how to" use the spreadsheet properly and some discussion xs650temp.proboards.co...read=11068

Conversion Chart- Motorcycle Tyre Sizes. Link is non US Web Page Name

Last edited by 650skull on August 24, 2009, 2:36 pm; edited 6 times in total
Photo Gallery
650skull
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: June 14, 2009, 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Sprockets, Gears. RPM-MPH

Q; I'm in the market for a new chain and will do the sprockets too. Looking for some suggestions for a cost effective set. I'm also considering re-gearing to make around town/back road riding more fun. I try to stay off the highway but do take short blasts of 65mph to get across the state.

Cooltouch; The stock XS sprocket ratio (17:34 or 2:1) is well-suited for quick jaunts around town and tooling through the twisters. Where it tends to get complaints is when folks are wanting to cruise at freeway speeds without the engine being so buzzy. If this buzziness doesn't bother you, and you seldom ride faster than 65 mph, you're probably better off just staying with the stock ratio.
ikesXS offers a larger 18t front sprocket, as well as non-stock rear sprockets ranging from 30 to 33 teeth (for a lower ratio), plus 36 and 38 teeth (for higher ratios, which should be great for climbing walls). Even though he offers the 18t front sprocket, he doesn't recommend it, since you have to lose the chain guard thingy that keeps the chain from jumping off the front sprocket. Check out his selections here:Web Page Name

xsjohn;
Mikes gear is like 1 in 24.........would be like removing 1 1/2 teeth from the back if that were possible.........not much to say the least.....and people forget that when geared high the lower gears come into play and are quite effective.........for me the motorcycle was useless geared stock.....lately with a 140 sized tire the taller 18/29 gears are finally right.....and 4th shines around town now....basically my 5th is like stock 4th..or maybe even a bit more.....couldn't imagine driving across the state in 4th on mine or even why...
For you heavier guys or riding double my gearing would be a nuisance....and I wouldn't want it any higher even for myself......just wish you guys could slide down the express just once on mine though.......it would pull you too.....

Q; k all these numbers are getting me really lost and confused!!! please explain some one!!!! i weigh about 160-170lb and i do ride over 65 . . . a lot! most of the ridden i do is highway like to work no back or across tx but i do like twisty's and i don't wanna lose any thing there so i'm kinda at loss!! what should i do?

xsjohn; 18/30 and the twisty's will still be there in 3rd and 4th.......and it will still rev to high on the highway......mikes 5th might fix that later for you..............always a catch 22 with these......
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> The Vault All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Check out the new Honda CB750 Forum at CB750.com! A site dedicated to the great Honda SOHC and DOHC CB750.

Check out the new Yamaha XS400 Forum at XS400.com!

Yamaha xs650

xs650, xs, 650, forum, links, chopper, custom, yamaha, parts, forum, info, information, bb, bulletin board, XS650
650Rider, Free Unrestricted xs650 forum, Personal photo albums, Post images in Forum, News columns, Daily blog, Links, Event calendar, Information for Yamaha XS650

Interactive software released under GNU GPL, Code Credits, Privacy Policy