650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > High Performance Modifications > > Top End Work > > SS Valves - Friend or Foe?

SS Valves - Friend or Foe?
    Forum Index -> Top End Work
dwyatt

PostPosted: May 31, 2009, 1:49 am    Post subject: SS Valves - Friend or Foe?

I am about to put new valves in a head just ported by 650Performance and need advice on the stainless steel vs. standard valves now on the market. I've been given recommendations by a strong source for the SS valves, but also heard they may be too soft for aggressive cam lobes. I will be adding a Megacycle cam, either 40 or 50, to this mix and it will be very aggressive. Anyone have hands-on experience here?

Also, how about bronze vs. standard valve guides? Same issues.
Photo Gallery
jimmythetrucker

PostPosted: May 31, 2009, 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: SS Valves - Friend or Foe?

I'd communicate with Megacycle on that. They know what they're doing, right? If they couldn't tell me the answer, I wouldn't buy their cam.
dwyatt

PostPosted: June 2, 2009, 3:41 am    Post subject: Re: SS Valves - Friend or Foe?

Good idea, I need to chat them up about the differences in cam performance anyway so I can decide which way to go.
Photo Gallery
5twins

PostPosted: June 7, 2009, 9:37 pm    Post subject: Re: SS Valves - Friend or Foe?

I would sign on at the 650 Garage and then send a PM to Grizld1. He really knows his stuff. And don't listen to jimmy at all. His 650 doesn't even run and probably never will. He knows less about these bikes than the Pope and Obama put together.
dwyatt

PostPosted: June 7, 2009, 9:43 pm    Post subject: Re: SS Valves - Friend or Foe?

Been on 650Garage for 3 years, same post there with no replys. Doesn't seem to be a lot of experiece on this.
Photo Gallery
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: June 7, 2009, 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: SS Valves - Friend or Foe?

5twins wrote:
He knows less about these bikes than the Pope and Obama put together.
Yeah but if the Pope told you something you'd HAVE TO BELIEVE it, he's infallible right?

Forum Index -> Top End Work All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1