650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Custom Work: Chop, Bob, Cafe and Flattracker - Streettracker > > Did you say Bob? No I said Bobber! > > lowering stock front end? how can i do this?

lowering stock front end? how can i do this?
    Forum Index -> Did you say Bob? No I said Bobber!
jerseykat1

PostPosted: May 17, 2009, 11:06 pm    Post subject: lowering stock front end? how can i do this?

Well just as the subject says. How do i lower my front end? 82 xs650.
bluebikerblan

PostPosted: May 18, 2009, 6:35 am    Post subject: Re: lowering stock front end? how can i do this?

Really just a matter of loosening the clamp bolts which cinch on the fork tubes. (both upper and lower clamps on the triple trees). The fork tubes will then slide up or down through the triple tree clamps. Stock handlebar risers will limit the amount the fork tube can protrude through the upper triple tree to about an 1 1/2". Actually that's quite a bit of lowering.....note of caution.....make sure that the bike still leans to the left on the side stand and doesn't tip over to the right.
Please don't ask me why I mention this! BOL Blue

PostPosted: May 18, 2009, 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: lowering stock front end? how can i do this?

I have heard that this can effect handling adversely - such as introducing headshake - if it's overdone. That's the reason I have not attempted it yet. This has been discussed before, but maybe it's worth reinvigorating.

TC
Photo Gallery
xsjohn

PostPosted: May 18, 2009, 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: lowering stock front end? how can i do this?

Too low on the front....on the down hill fast sweeping turns is where I noticed a very concerning wobble......like at 60.....and that is when you don't want it to happen........the front angle changes anyway on down hills........don't base a change on looks.....your ass is worth something and no one wants to see it................

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
jerseykat1

PostPosted: May 18, 2009, 10:36 pm    Post subject: Re: lowering stock front end? how can i do this?

would lowering the rear and the front eliminate this wobble?
west24

PostPosted: May 20, 2009, 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: lowering stock front end? how can i do this?

Not an expert, but i would think so... I would like to lower mine too, sliding the tubes only do so much with drag bars. I read somewhere on here about I think cutting the springs an equal amount and then adding a spacer either above or below the dampening rod. I tied to find the thread but without any luck...
ABSINTHE

PostPosted: May 20, 2009, 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: lowering stock front end? how can i do this?

mine are pushed about an inch through the clamps havent had any problems yet mine is a 80 special I think they look like they have loonger fork legs anyhow I havent expirienced any adverse changes

PostPosted: May 20, 2009, 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: lowering stock front end? how can i do this?

IN BENZIN VERITAS??
yamaman
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: May 20, 2009, 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: lowering stock front end? how can i do this?

West24, I hope you don't find that thread! Sounds like a really crap idea to me! Twisted Evil

Why does it get al wobbly when lowered?
Because the forks are at an angle, when you move the forks up through the triple trees, you reduce the trail, in effect reducing the wheelbase! Thats not a major drama, we reduce our wheelbases all the time, under brakes or when the front end is loaded.

There comes a time when this has an effect, this is the wobbles!
This is why sportsbikes run a steering damper.

A bit of front end shake isn't so bad, once your used to it, have a look at a GP bike, they have a million different settings for their front ends. They set them up for each track, and if they need more cornering ability, they reduce the trail, and when they exit the corner the front shakes its head. They could cure that by extending the trail, but it wouldn't corner as well, so it's a matter of compromise!

Would lowering the back counter this?
Yes to some degree, though not fully.
Lowering the rear loads the rear shocks up a bit more, therefore reducing the load on the front. So the front wont dive as much as it would otherwise!

I suggest, if you want to bring the forks up through the triples, you bring them up 1/4" at a time and test ride in your hardest zone! If you get it down to the point where your uncomfortable and it's shaking, either fit a steering damper and go some more, or just drop them back down 1/4"

Always check your work, a friend of mine lowered his front end quite drasticly, thinking that was the go, it rode fine till he pulled hard on the brakes and the front wheel hit his radiator Shocked

I run a cable tie on one fork staunchion so I know the maximum my forks compress. After doing mods like this, it pays to compress to this line & check clearances around the wheel. If I go any further on mine, I'll hit the brake splitter junction!

Hope some of this helps, cheers

west24

PostPosted: May 20, 2009, 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: lowering stock front end? how can i do this?

Wanted to read into it more beforehand, prior to even considering it. Leaning more toward the possibility of risers. Tubes hit my handlebars at a little over half inch not enough if I run the 11.5 rear shocks from Mikes. Thanks again for all the input

Forum Index -> Did you say Bob? No I said Bobber! All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1