650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Engine > > quick question: 3bond on head gasket?

quick question: 3bond on head gasket?
    Forum Index -> Engine
urbandork

PostPosted: May 14, 2009, 12:54 pm    Post subject: quick question: 3bond on head gasket?

I got one of those basket to case gaskets from mikes that does not need the sealant but what about the head gasket.

should i still use 3 bond for the head gasket?

I know the motors a picky and chronic oil leakers is there a method to the sealant madness both on the head gasket (top only bottom only both?) and is there any tricks for the sealant between the head and the rocker box/valve cover.

well im stepping out to get some stuff to clean the surface and then ima start putting her back together.
xsjohn

PostPosted: May 14, 2009, 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: quick question: 3bond on head gasket?

bonding head gaskets is something I don't do and have never had a leak.........need to torque 2 or 3 times after assembly and it has run a while ..........torque till it doesn't change......I go to 35 with antiseize ....the book says 25 ...........don't go to 40 ........guess most people use 30......

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
Retiredgentleman
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 14, 2009, 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: quick question: 3bond on head gasket?

I recently completed a top end re-build. I used 3 bond 1104 on both sides of my head gasket. Ran a very small bead around the centre camchain tunnel area and around the 4 outer studs that are exposed to oil.
Everyone is going to have a different opinion, but I wanted a little extra insurance that oil would not migrate across the head gasket. If oil leaks across the head gasket it makes a real mess in the head and pistons, and oil consumption goes way up.

I also used 3 bond 1104 between the head and the rocker cover. Just make sure you have cleaned off all previous sealant, and I use lacquer thinner for the last cleaning just before applying the 1104.

I used 30 ft-lbs for the large 10 mm studs, 14 ft-lbs for the 8 mm bolts, and 7 ft-lbs for the single 6 mm at the back centre.I also put a little oil on the threads during assembly.

After assembly,sit overnight, re-torqued the next day. Ran bike for 150 kms, then re-torque; ran bike for 125 kms then re-torque, finally ran bike for 165 kms and re-torque. At the last re-torque, the dome nuts don't move anymore.

Engine is not using any oil, so I must have done something right.
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> Engine All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1