650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Custom Work: Chop, Bob, Cafe and Flattracker - Streettracker > > Did you say Bob? No I said Bobber! > > Right Hand Jockey Shift (Voodoo Child)

Right Hand Jockey Shift (Voodoo Child)
    Forum Index -> Did you say Bob? No I said Bobber!
yamaha_dave

PostPosted: April 9, 2009, 11:05 pm    Post subject: Right Hand Jockey Shift (Voodoo Child)

Hey guys... A few of you have asked for up-close pics of the shifting rig. It's just a piece of pipe welded to angle iron with a basin wrench used as the main shaft.

If I had it to do all over again, I would just use a large hinge from Lowe's (less rattle) and weld the shift rods on both sides.

Here's the pics...

Notice the red-neck (I can say that... I'm from Texas! Wink ) tie-rod ends made by welding a nut inside an eye bolt.

The tie-rod is just a piece of 3/8 all-thread I bent to shape.

I bolted the whole assembly (including my electrical housing oil can) to the two tubes originally located on the frame.

Just a piece of 3/8 rod welded into the head of the basin wrench. Plus a $12 shifter head I downloaded from Ebay!

I plan to cut the shaft a little and position a compression spring between the end of the outer shaft and the head on the basin wrench. This should prevent a bunch of annoying rattle...
Photo Gallery
Retiredgentleman
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: April 9, 2009, 11:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Right Hand Jockey Shift (Voodoo Child)

Nice job Dave, great photos.
Photo Gallery
yamaha_dave

PostPosted: April 10, 2009, 11:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Right Hand Jockey Shift (Voodoo Child)

Retiredgentleman wrote:
Nice job Dave, great photos.

Thank you! I'm hoping the compression spring will prevent any rattling. I'll certainly update the post once I take her on the first run. Hopefully- Sunday!!!
Photo Gallery
scotts

PostPosted: April 11, 2009, 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: Right Hand Jockey Shift (Voodoo Child)

Very cool, but how does the right hand shifting work? Are you going to reach across your lap or is the throttle going to be moved to the other side or ???
Photo Gallery
yamaha_dave

PostPosted: April 11, 2009, 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: Right Hand Jockey Shift (Voodoo Child)

scotts wrote:
Very cool, but how does the right hand shifting work? Are you going to reach across your lap or is the throttle going to be moved to the other side or ???

I was planning to reach across the bars with my right hand- hold the clutch in- reach across my lap with my left hand- and shift...

Very Happy

Just Joking!!!

Don't you usually let off the throttle when you shift? It will take a little longer but... Simply reach down with your right hand and shift while you're holding in the clutch with the left. It just takes a micro second! I didn't want the clutch on the shifter because in an emergency stop, I prefer to have both hands on the bars.

Hope this helps...
Photo Gallery
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: April 11, 2009, 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Right Hand Jockey Shift (Voodoo Child)

yamaha_dave wrote:
I was planning to reach across the bars with my right hand- hold the clutch in- reach across my lap with my left hand- and shift.....

that's called Motocross

jimmythetrucker

PostPosted: April 11, 2009, 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Right Hand Jockey Shift (Voodoo Child)

Yeah. And you're supposed to stand on your head and wiggle your feet in the air while you do it.

When you've misjudged that curve by about twenty miles an hour, when you're deep into it and realize you're gonna go over the high side if you don't change gears, you'll remember this thread when you let go the bars with your right hand and reach to make the shift.
yamaha_dave

PostPosted: April 11, 2009, 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Right Hand Jockey Shift (Voodoo Child)

jimmythetrucker wrote:
Yeah. And you're supposed to stand on your head and wiggle your feet in the air while you do it.

When you've misjudged that curve by about twenty miles an hour, when you're deep into it and realize you're gonna go over the high side if you don't change gears, you'll remember this thread when you let go the bars with your right hand and reach to make the shift.

Been there... Done that... In wheelchair for three months! Won't be doing that again!!!

This one is a Starbucks and back only cruiser! Wink
Photo Gallery
xsjohn

PostPosted: April 11, 2009, 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Right Hand Jockey Shift (Voodoo Child)

Definately better to be too slow into the cruve than too fast.......been there myself.......and it hurts.......

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
acetek

PostPosted: April 11, 2009, 10:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Right Hand Jockey Shift (Voodoo Child)

Whats that headlight off of ???"Hodaka "had something similar
yamaha_dave

PostPosted: April 11, 2009, 10:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Right Hand Jockey Shift (Voodoo Child)

acetek wrote:
Whats that headlight off of ???"Hodaka "had something similar

I purchased this headlight from American Legends.

It's a Delta 88 with halogen bulb included for around $140. Pretty good deal!

Click on the link above and scroll down to page 5.

These guys were great.
Photo Gallery
acetek

PostPosted: April 11, 2009, 11:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Right Hand Jockey Shift (Voodoo Child)

Thanks Dave that headlight is a cool find............. Like your bike be carefull shiftin.............
bryant

PostPosted: April 12, 2009, 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: Right Hand Jockey Shift (Voodoo Child)

I can vouch for the guys at American Legends being awesome to deal with. They've built some pretty rad bikes too.

Forum Index -> Did you say Bob? No I said Bobber! All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1