650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > General Conversation > > I'm just saying... you know > > Consolidation Thread - All the good modifications

Consolidation Thread - All the good modifications
Go to page 1, 2  Next
    Forum Index -> I'm just saying... you know
Snake

PostPosted: January 27, 2009, 5:46 am    Post subject: Consolidation Thread - All the good modifications

So what are the basic modifications that everyone should do or at least take a look at, to make their bike run better, without having to search through all the topics on this site....especially if your new and some of the older threads have the really interesting stuff...
Snake

PostPosted: January 27, 2009, 6:08 am    Post subject: Re: Consolidation Thread - All the good modifications

stole xsjohns mods list for starters...

oil cooler (top end)
Intake valve oiler
dimpled pistons for oil retention on skirts
balanced pistons
rings..edges smoothed
8-1 compression + (cam retarded 2 degrees)
taller gearing 18/29
corrected carbs R/L needles
clutch rod dimpled (for allignment and better clutch)
carb piviot bent for quick throttle
recently carb barbs joined
vacuum petcock converted to manual petcock
louvers from point covers both sides (air draws throught cam hole)
6V diode for daytime running lights
new 15K clutch
opened alternator cover
built own spin on oil filter into clutch cover
set side clearance on oil pump to .002 thou
bent buckhorns to good bars
cleanbed all electrical connections
retarded timing (not really needed with 8-1 CR
new mikes headlight
46 pilot jets
back to stock mainjets with 8-1 cr
no porting

Barbara

PostPosted: January 27, 2009, 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Consolidation Thread - All the good modifications

My only "absolute" was to go to bronze swing-arm bushings, and that's because of the sidecar. And I didn't like the stock handlebars, so I have a set of 3" rise 'bars that I like.

Now, if I had any money, the list would be longer..... Laughing

Gemini the BSA
Baby B. the BSA
Big John the BSA
The unnamed Triumph T-140
and the 1979 XS650....with "potential"
illie the 1980 airhead BMW
Photo Gallery
650skull
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: January 27, 2009, 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Consolidation Thread - All the good modifications

Upgrade swing arm bushing, steering head bearings, new oil in the forks and progressive springs and after i found this had happened to my original shocks i would replace the original ones (Necessity, 30 years old) Shocked

p1090856.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  10.51 KB
 Viewed:  299 Time(s)

p1090856.jpg

p1090858.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  11.03 KB
 Viewed:  261 Time(s)

p1090858.jpg

p1090862.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  14.38 KB
 Viewed:  218 Time(s)

p1090862.jpg

Photo Gallery
Retiredgentleman
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: January 27, 2009, 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Consolidation Thread - All the good modifications

My list of "must" do:
On Special's, change to the standard type handlebars.
On 1970 to 1979, replace stock ignition coils with high output single coil.
If you're not mechanically inclined, replace points with Pamco ignition.
If you keep the points, replace phillips screws with allen heads.
Replace carb float bowl screws with allen head screws.
Make sure tank is rust free, and install inline fuel filters.
Change fork oil to at least 30 or 40 grade.
Clean up all electrical connectors.

Try to reduce the electrical load as much as possible, such as a 40 watt low beam and a reduced wattage Daytime Running Light.
Install a voltmeter, analog or digital.
Photo Gallery
BigGeorge

PostPosted: January 27, 2009, 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Consolidation Thread - All the good modifications

Replace those damn brittle glass fuse holders and glass fuses with modern auto type spade fuses and waterproof holders...........BG

PostPosted: January 27, 2009, 10:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Consolidation Thread - All the good modifications

Hi Guys,

I forgot two things: I have Triumph shocks on my bike, and I have xsJohns slide needles---and they work!

Good stuff....

Gemini the BSA
Baby B. the BSA
Big John the BSA
The unnamed Triumph T-140
and the 1979 XS650....with "potential"
illie the 1980 airhead BMW
Photo Gallery
gantzcb
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: January 28, 2009, 3:31 am    Post subject: Re: Consolidation Thread - All the good modifications

My must do's, have done's, so far on a 1979F
It's all about the basics. How far do you want to ride before you have to push it or call for a tow?
I'm a newbee/FNG, and if I've learned anything, refer to this site before each project/step. I also use, am I allowed to say, 650 Garage. You can never have too much information.
Start a note book.
Solid state Voltage regulator, early 70's AMC - suppose to stop the bulb blowing routine - mine's in wired, working fine with the old rectifier.
New alternator brushes, clean stator rings, flush windings - took me two cans of CRC electromotive.
Rebuild the carbs, petcocks, clean the tank by electrolysis if needed.
Rebuild the master cylinder & Caliper - make it stop, before you make it go!
Steering head bearings, rebuild forks - there some funky 30 year old sparkly stuff in there.
Tires - no dry rot allowed
Bake your small rattle can spayed parts in an old oven on low - 200 degrees. i use the same oven I bake the Thanksgiving Turkey.
And all of the above listings

Snake

PostPosted: January 28, 2009, 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: Consolidation Thread - All the good modifications

the mods i will be doing are next are

1. Clutch rod dimpled (for allignment and better clutch)
2. Vaccum barbs joined (for better idle)
3. Breather pipe one way valve. stops leaks...

xsjohn

PostPosted: January 28, 2009, 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: Consolidation Thread - All the good modifications

gantzcb.........Yea the women just don't seem to get it when their oven is full of motorcycle parts.......we're cooking .... Cool

Snake......Really hoping the dimpled rods is the fix for everyones clutch...can't hurt anything if not....sure fixed mine and I was tickled that it was that easy...neutral is finally there...should save the seal and bushing too....be sure to spin them in a drill and use the pointed dremmel ...both parts too...dimples have to be symmetrical......mine were a bit wider that the ones RG showed....I should have photographed them..........center of the dimple should be just ever so slightly deeper than the ball circumference ....so the ball can't move sideways once pressure is put on it...forcing the rod to automatically center without any wobble and bind....feels like a real clutch........slick.........

Here is a rendition of how I did mine......rods aren't allowed to move sideways or wobble as soon as pressure is put on the clutch lever.....

If this works out for other people ....can mail them to me and I will do it and send back.......

Still selling balanced carb needles too.........

xsjohn

xsjohn\'s push rod mod.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  51.36 KB
 Viewed:  298 Time(s)

xsjohn\'s push rod mod.jpg

Photo Gallery
jimmythetrucker

PostPosted: January 28, 2009, 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Consolidation Thread - All the good modifications

About that 'carb piviot bent for quick throttle' suggestion -- I think (surely someone will correct me if I'm wrong) 3M sells a 'racing throttle' that will do the trick. A quarter-turn from idle to wide open is my personal idea of a good time, and I'm not sure you can get there by bending things.
xsjohn

PostPosted: January 28, 2009, 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Consolidation Thread - All the good modifications

Jimmy.....Can get to 1/4 throttle and even more......but if not heated red it can break...(then a weld would be required)....good to re-align cable holder so it points the cable to the new pivot radius..... ...does save switch and all too.......

xsjohn

quick throttle.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  151.5 KB
 Viewed:  307 Time(s)

quick throttle.jpg

Photo Gallery
Snake

PostPosted: January 29, 2009, 5:52 am    Post subject: Re: Consolidation Thread - All the good modifications

thanks xsjohn.....i will have a go at the rods in a week or so, since i greased and oiled all the clutch parts a couple of months ago, it has worked HEAPS better....but still hard to find neutral, like everyone else i have become an expert at the RNS .....rolling neutral shift...and yeah i know, i took the carbs apart again and finally cleaned everything...and took photos of all the parts etc so i know exactly what i have.....will be in touch about the needles...when i get the rest of the replacement parts...joining the vacuum barbs has fixed my idle problems...great idea.
Snake

PostPosted: January 29, 2009, 5:54 am    Post subject: Re: Consolidation Thread - All the good modifications

gantzcb.....i got caught melting lead for fishing sinkers a few weeks ago....apparently it makes the kitchen smell..........
gantzcb
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: January 29, 2009, 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: Consolidation Thread - All the good modifications

Snake...Metlting Lead? Fishing sinkers? Making muskett balls? I build a Heath kit engine analyzer, used the kitchen table for a work space, sniffed lead fumes for a couple of months, ain't affected me yet, ...affected me yet, ... affected me yet
xsjohn

PostPosted: January 29, 2009, 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: Consolidation Thread - All the good modifications

Should have been around when I dried my gun powder in the microwave....first 15 seconds went ok........not the second 15 seconds though...........
Photo Gallery
Snake

PostPosted: January 30, 2009, 5:55 am    Post subject: Re: Consolidation Thread - All the good modifications

well, like most of us at one time or another...i had the bike stored in the dining room...over winter while i rewired it....that went down well.......
xs1961
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: January 30, 2009, 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: Consolidation Thread - All the good modifications

You lucky sod , none of that lark since I shacked up with the new missus ..ruddy cow... Evil or Very Mad
gradually losing intrest... God help me...
Photo Gallery
xsjohn

PostPosted: January 30, 2009, 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: Consolidation Thread - All the good modifications

Yea.....that's where my problem began years ago......I always thought a motorcycle was more attractive than a couch laced with doilies....but add the woman to that couch and .............another catch 22.......2 fun rides then....... Laughing

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
mlcarter815

PostPosted: January 30, 2009, 10:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Consolidation Thread - All the good modifications

John, could you go into more detail with that clutch mod? I am currently running the long rod right now, but I still have my short rods in a box somewhere. If you could get me the exact specs of the modification, I have an uncle who works for a tool and dye company who could drill them out for me to the nearest 1/100 of an inch.

Also, could you explain why that works better than the long rod? And won't putting those dimples in shorten up the length of the assembly?
xsjohn

PostPosted: January 30, 2009, 10:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Consolidation Thread - All the good modifications

Use the long rod........just go by the picture............drill and dremmel is all you need...both spinning....just kind secure the side of the ball just a bit......so it won't move sideways is what I did....hope it helps...won't loose much adjustment and can be taken up on the screw and nut on the push lever assembly.......snug down and back off a 1/2 a turn or so.....grease ....rendition may be a bit deeper than needed...

Supose a lathe and a sharp centered drill would do it...?...the end of rod is hardened.......and the short rod refers to the one inside the push lever assembly..(worm Gear)

I put both pictures in one place below.....

xsjohn

push rod mod.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  65.24 KB
 Viewed:  290 Time(s)

push rod mod.jpg

indent end of clutch rod.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  182.64 KB
 Viewed:  307 Time(s)

indent end of clutch rod.jpg

Photo Gallery
scotts

PostPosted: January 31, 2009, 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: Consolidation Thread - All the good modifications

It's a simple mod, but I like to run a plug for the battery charger off the battery. I let it stick out (just barely) behind one of the side covers. I can tuck it up in there if needed.
Good way to extend battery life, especially over the Winter months.
Photo Gallery
cpotts454

PostPosted: January 31, 2009, 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: Consolidation Thread - All the good modifications

I assume that the oven you are using to bake isnt a gas oven? Thats all I've got and I am afraid of the chemical vapor might cause a fire.
Photo Gallery
gantzcb
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: February 2, 2009, 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: Consolidation Thread - All the good modifications

Cookin with Gas. I let the parts dry a while in the air. Turn on three exhaust fans - two in the kitchen, one in the bathroom. If I forget to turn on the fans, sometimes the smoke alarm comes on...

Forum Index -> I'm just saying... you know All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2