650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Engine > > timing -problem getting right side to align...

timing -problem getting right side to align...
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
    Forum Index -> Engine
Snake

PostPosted: January 20, 2009, 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: timing -problem getting right side to align...

now i have no spark on the right side, arrggghhhh.....left firing ok.....must have cooked something else. i suspect the condensor...
jpowell

PostPosted: January 20, 2009, 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: timing -problem getting right side to align...

Check and make sure the points are actually closing. then get a meter and check for 12V on the point when open, 0V when closed. If you replaced that wiring I'd suspect a bad crimp.
Retiredgentleman
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: January 20, 2009, 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: timing -problem getting right side to align...

Make sure there is no oil or grease on the points. How old are your ignition coil(s) and spark plug leads?
Photo Gallery
Snake

PostPosted: January 20, 2009, 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: timing -problem getting right side to align...

thanks, i will check the crimps :(, the coils are new, the leads are old...the condensor is unknown.....but i have a new one. the battery is down, but i was jumping it from a car battery so plenty of juice.
Snake

PostPosted: January 23, 2009, 12:36 am    Post subject: Re: timing -problem getting right side to align...

ok....still not sure what it was, but i re crimped the crimps, re set the points gap and away she went....i had intermitant spark on the right, but took it for a good blast (the Kiwi way) and that seems to have come right, i re did the timing when i got back and whilst not perfect, it is idling very well. as a note, something i think we all know but....the battery has to be fully chargfed for these beasts to run properly. thanks all again for the pointers
Jake68
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: January 23, 2009, 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: timing -problem getting right side to align...

The Electronic Ignition suggestion is a good one.

I've been through this scenario on many bikes. I love old bikes.

But points ignition is always a compromise between what you can get and what it should be.

All the later bikes have it, because points are rubbish at staying timed. They have moving parts when none are needed. The advance curve being mechanical can never be perfect.

Fitting electronic igntion, so long as you no other unwarrented complications, will improve your start up, your fuel economy and the life of your engine components...

Compare this with the price of other spares, and addons, its about the best value there is.

imho..though it should be fully electronic.
Photo Gallery
Snake

PostPosted: January 24, 2009, 5:04 am    Post subject: Re: timing -problem getting right side to align...

i know, i am almost swayed to ECI....now the bloody thing won't idle...the right side only sparks above 2000 rpm.....battery 10V.......hmmmmmm....must check water level......i ran the bike at 120kmh for a 30km run to a mates place and back......now very rough...i have started again at the cam chain...as there was some serious rattling going on, and it shuddered at low speed/high gear.....arr the joys....ps.....becuase it "rattled" the missus now thinks it's to unsafe to ride...so she won't come anymore.....so at least one positive today....:)
xsjohn

PostPosted: January 24, 2009, 5:12 am    Post subject: Re: timing -problem getting right side to align...

Spanked it did you ......120Km.....what is that 75-80 miles an hour........what gear ratio are you running.....don't tell me....too much compression for all those un-needed rpms I found with trimed throttle.....need lots of power and throttle for racing but not for cruising ......works for a while but not the long run......clank......god I hate it when that happens......always expensive and time consuming if you don't need it or making some money at it...........been working on that theory for a while and finally may have something........

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
650skull
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: January 24, 2009, 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: timing -problem getting right side to align...

Start doing an electrical system check, Rotor, stator, battery, condenser and coils. get the coils and condensers properly tested, if not new coils at least..........Evan if you have done some motor damage, go through the electrics and get it sorted........They hate low speed high gear at the best of times and if you weren't getting spark to one pot below 2000 revs it would be clunking and shuddering to sh*t, if your chain isn't properly tensioned that would also add to the grinding and clunking................and even with 17 and 34 it will cruise like that no dramas on a 30k run
John 120kph is 75mph
Photo Gallery
Retiredgentleman
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: January 24, 2009, 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: timing -problem getting right side to align...

Snake;
As 650skull said, you need to check out the electrical system. If you measured only 10 volts at the battery, then your charging system is not working (or your battery has a dead cell). Your bike will never run right with low battery voltage.

Start with a few simple checks. Are the brushes greater than 7 mm (0.276"). Clean the alternator slip rings, so they are bright and shiney. At idle you should 13 volts (13.5 is better) at the battery. At 2500 RPM should be greater than 14 volts (14.5 is better).

Remove one brush, and measure the resistance from slip ring to slip ring................should be around 5 ohms.
Photo Gallery
Snake

PostPosted: January 24, 2009, 10:57 pm    Post subject: Re: timing -problem getting right side to align...

ok. update. here are some photos of the ATU...this is what happens when you live a long way from replacement parts....i filed / ground the welds flat, and the lock nut was stripped, so i repaired the thread. unsure what the locating slot play will cause? i made sure the locknut was real tight.

2. i checked the condensors...and....maybe due to the fact i have the spark fairly good now and it is running heaps better.i.e firing properly and therfore running faster and with more vibration..but....the earth lead bolts had come loose.

3.i soldered the new crimps on the contact leads. RG my voltage at the battery on 2000rpm is 13.3.

so, right side timing has moved closer with my clean up of the ATU, right side sparking correctly now due to repair to earth/crimps...

more parts to get....but yet again i shall just keep adding to the list so i can try and order most of them at the same time to save on post...

Snake

PostPosted: January 24, 2009, 11:03 pm    Post subject: Re: timing -problem getting right side to align...

PS...i have a 33T rear...and at 85kmh it was ticking over at 3400rpm, two up with approx 160kg sitting on board...(95+65)
Retiredgentleman
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: January 24, 2009, 11:48 pm    Post subject: Re: timing -problem getting right side to align...

The ATU gap being worn larger than normal could be a problem. The camshaft has a pin on the right end that fits into that gap. The ATU then drives the weights, the advancer shaft, and the cam that operates the points. With that gap being wider, it appears that it could retard the timing of when the points open to fire the plugs.
Photo Gallery
Snake

PostPosted: January 24, 2009, 11:56 pm    Post subject: Re: timing -problem getting right side to align...

RG, yeah thats what i thought, the timing advanced when i put the plate back in making sure it lined up to the original edge of the gap...
Retiredgentleman
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: January 25, 2009, 12:09 am    Post subject: Re: timing -problem getting right side to align...

Here's a pic of what the ATU gap should look like.
Photo Gallery
Snake

PostPosted: January 25, 2009, 1:58 am    Post subject: Re: timing -problem getting right side to align...

still not a perfect fit, and the design suggests it cannot be, so maybe as long as the locknut is tight, i may be ok.

just took bike for a run, i have a tapping noise when power off??....i was thinking i had screwed the cam chain tensioner in to far, i have loosened it off now, will test later when the heat dies down..

kojak

PostPosted: September 9, 2009, 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: timing -problem getting right side to align...

ok, having similar issues except my timing is too advanced and i have to retard point plate to the end of the slots(rotating anti-clockwise). seems to me a stretched chain would do the opposite. slot and hole are just about vertical maybe a tad rearward, so cam timing should be good...my head gasket is 1.5mm from mikesxs, and my manual calls for 1.2mm, but that doesnt seem like enough. i'm thinking of shimming out with thicker copper washers on the front chain rail mount to effectively shorten the chain and thus retard the timing...shorter points arms might work too. i've checked everything i can think of...what am i missing? help! 79 with top end from earlier i think '76...cam chain 20k on it i think, but arent they not supposed to wear that badly unless oil starvation? seems like a new chain would make my problem worse....all pins, keys, weights, etc. have been checked. thanks in advance
xsleo

PostPosted: September 10, 2009, 2:14 am    Post subject: Re: timing -problem getting right side to align...

With your timing marks at TDC and your pin for the points cam isn't straight up. It could be your cam chain is off by one tooth on the cam sporcket. This would be why your points plate is at the end of the slot. Before I put in a new chain, I had the same problem. The chain was so worn it jumped time on me once, I was fooling with the chain adjuster, I had it apart to replace the damper on the plunger and the chain slipped a tooth or two on the crank. It ran very badly until I figured it out.

'75 XS650B with a 79 dual disc front end, rear disk brake, Chrysler reg, Radio Shack rect, LED tail/ brake and turn signals.
Photo Gallery
kojak

PostPosted: September 10, 2009, 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: timing -problem getting right side to align...

the pins are pretty much straight up, definately not a tooth off at least. i have about .600" of distance from lock nut to tip of chain adjuster.
xs1961
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: September 11, 2009, 3:04 am    Post subject: Re: timing -problem getting right side to align...

..This is why I have a box fit to bursting with old sets of points/plates/springs/weights/rods...Its Boyer on all mine until the kids have grown up ,left home and I have more time to waste messing with antique contact-breaker ignitions no matter how good as they are fully set-up ! Twisted Evil
gradually losing intrest... God help me...
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> Engine All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3