650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Engine > > timing -problem getting right side to align...

timing -problem getting right side to align...
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
    Forum Index -> Engine
Snake

PostPosted: January 17, 2009, 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: timing -problem getting right side to align...

xsjohn. thanks, i will check the cam adjustment again
Photo Gallery
Snake

PostPosted: January 17, 2009, 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: timing -problem getting right side to align...

the ECI comment keeps coming up...and yes if the bike had come with it, wonderful...but i didn't. the fact people dismiss points as rubbish reminds me of working with our modern young people.....if the battery on their drill/screw driver runs out they sit and wait for it to charge up...until i remind them...there was a time we used a manual screw driver...imagine that!!.....and it actually used to work and we got the job done...
xsjohn

PostPosted: January 17, 2009, 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: timing -problem getting right side to align...

That picture would suggest a new chain.......small rod should move in and out just a bit with the engine running...engine at operating temperature....can turn the adjuster in and feel when it gets too tight...engine running.....the rod will start to stove up...then back it out a bit.....1/3 of a turn or so.....everyone has their own way of doing it but that's how I do mine.......and make sure the engine is warmed to operating temp....if not the chain will get too tight as the engine swells.....

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
Snake

PostPosted: January 17, 2009, 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: timing -problem getting right side to align...

sorry john, just so i get this, the adjustment is with the small hex headed "nut" that the rod comes through, i need to loosen the main bolt on the picture?, and rotate the barrell until the rod is level with the end of the hex nut?
xsjohn

PostPosted: January 17, 2009, 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: timing -problem getting right side to align...

Everyone has a problem understand this at first......rod flush is just a reference point........get engine to operating temperature....then remove the acorn nut and loosen the big nut a bit.....with a rag turn the adjuster (the thredded portion with the 10MM nut afixed to it) in till the inner rod stops boggeling in and out and then come out a 1/3 of a turn or so...preliminary flush settings can be too tight so backing it out may be necessary..that is fine tuning the cam chain adjustment.....if you just level the rod it may not be just right.............should be checked in the same way periodically....1000 miles or so .....

Chain too loose and as the cam passes over the lobes it snatches the chain causing it to wear guicker along with the guides.......too tight and it will eat the guides...

xsjohn

Last edited by xsjohn on January 17, 2009, 5:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Photo Gallery
Snake

PostPosted: January 17, 2009, 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: timing -problem getting right side to align...

fantastic, thanks xsjohn. like most problems, when i had trouble with my right side timing, i wondered why, the only thing that had changed recently was my adjustment of the cam chain, i did it cold, and probably too much....so hopefully if i get that right, then i will get a bit longer out of the chain, and get my timing right
xsjohn

PostPosted: January 17, 2009, 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: timing -problem getting right side to align...

Would need to start with getting the chain right.....the next time you start it you could check to see if the chain is too tight....no rod movement...if it's tight cold it's gonna get tighter warm....always adjust it when the engine is hot.......that's where it will ride when you are riding....burnt fingers for sure sometimes......

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
Snake

PostPosted: January 17, 2009, 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: timing -problem getting right side to align...

ok, i will need to get the correct spanners to do that, bit hot n tight for the adjustable...
Snake

PostPosted: January 18, 2009, 1:15 am    Post subject: Re: timing -problem getting right side to align...

!^@%@$@^!*!.....damn LH points fix sscrew has stripped....after adjusting the cam chain with the motor hot, i got the right side to within a few mil of the F mark, then went to work on the left....damn screw stripped after i decided to check the gap again..........AND......now io have taken the plate out...i find the RH backing plate was already filed away...meaning ...cam chain...is worse then first thought......
650skull
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: January 18, 2009, 1:21 am    Post subject: Re: timing -problem getting right side to align...

F*****g PO's
Photo Gallery
Snake

PostPosted: January 18, 2009, 1:23 am    Post subject: Re: timing -problem getting right side to align...

hey skull, did you see those parts on trademe?
650skull
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: January 18, 2009, 5:13 am    Post subject: Re: timing -problem getting right side to align...

Yea, Thanks, he answered some of my questions waiting for the rest.
Photo Gallery
xsjohn

PostPosted: January 18, 2009, 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: timing -problem getting right side to align...

Skull..If you can't find a chain down there you could always raise the head..... Laughing

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: January 18, 2009, 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: timing -problem getting right side to align...

Snake wrote:
damn LH points fix sscrew has stripped......

take a small pointed pin punch and do a series of hit around that stripped hole (upsetting the metal to deform it) then you can re-tap it to size

Snake

PostPosted: January 18, 2009, 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: timing -problem getting right side to align...

thanks jayel, I’ll give it a go. i want to keep riding until winter, when i will take the motor down...and take a look. does using a thicker head gasket to lower compression have an effect on the cam chain?
jimmer
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: January 18, 2009, 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: timing -problem getting right side to align...

Is the screw stripped? (as you said) ... or is the hole stripped? Either way it won't hold unless you get it set and use locltite on the thread. Kinda picky ... but punching the hole and deforming metal around the hole will maybe make one thread hold. Thats not much. Maybe I'm missing something ... which is very likely.
650skull
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: January 18, 2009, 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: timing -problem getting right side to align...

John, i think you have me confused..............................................With Snake...............
a guy goes into the doctors,
Doctor: Would you like the good new first or the bad news.
Patient: I would like the bad news first.
Doctor: You have cancer and have 3 months to live.
Patient: WHAT, 3 months, what's the good news
Doctor: You have altzheimers (check spelling) disease and you won't remember this conversation after you walk out the door

Last edited by 650skull on January 18, 2009, 7:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Photo Gallery
xsjohn

PostPosted: January 18, 2009, 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: timing -problem getting right side to align...

How could I possibly confuse anyone....... Laughing
Photo Gallery
jpowell

PostPosted: January 18, 2009, 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: timing -problem getting right side to align...

I think I'm a little confused... By the looks of the tensioner, and what I think John was saying Thats a new chain. But retarded, meaning firing after the F mark, that does point at a stretched chain
pamcopete
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: January 18, 2009, 9:56 pm    Post subject: Re: timing -problem getting right side to align...

snake, jpowell et al

I think if it was me, before I tore the engine down for a suspected stretched chain, I would remove the advance rod and the advance unit and inspect the three locating pins and their associated holes for any indication of wear that could cause the problem.

I would also inspect the weights and their associated pins and springs and tabs for wear as well.

I might even go so far as to replace all these parts, along with the points cam and points, because if the chain is in fact stretched, then these parts are probably worn out as well. If the chain is not unduly stretched, then changing these parts will probably fix the problem.

650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: January 19, 2009, 12:02 am    Post subject: Re: timing -problem getting right side to align...

Snake wrote:
does using a thicker head gasket to lower compression have an effect on the cam chain?
not really spaces the sprocket up a little higher but nothing the tensioner should be able to handle but since you would have to remove the head to replace or add a gasket it would make more sense to replace the chain while you've got it open,

jpowell

PostPosted: January 19, 2009, 12:07 am    Post subject: Re: timing -problem getting right side to align...

jayel, it does change the timing a bit. you're moving the cam away from the crank so it will ofset the cam a bit. xsjohn has done the math and I'm sure can tell you by how much.
xsjohn

PostPosted: January 19, 2009, 12:18 am    Post subject: Re: timing -problem getting right side to align...

A new chain won't go on with an extra gasket......and the cam "has" to be retarded 2 degrees (.020 thou within the chainwheel) or it won't run right....puts it back to stock cam timing....not hard but has to be done.....bottom line on that matter for sure.....but once you get it all together as above it really does fun quite nice........bit less power (say 2 horses or so) but really sweet.......and pulls right off from 1800 like it should....

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
Snake

PostPosted: January 19, 2009, 5:19 am    Post subject: Re: timing -problem getting right side to align...

thanks guys, i have the points back in, all clean and nice, the wires were worn so i replaced them....and.....she no start.....but it's dark and late now...so will have to wait until tomorrow....thanks again for all the advice
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> Engine All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3