650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Engine > > clutch pushrod oil seal

clutch pushrod oil seal
    Forum Index -> Engine
brookiedc

PostPosted: January 3, 2009, 11:16 am    Post subject: clutch pushrod oil seal

Hey!

So I've done the typical method of replacement, which is doing it twice, doing it wrong, and finding big oil puddles under my bike.

I know I have to chamfer the edge of the oil seal seat - I didn't do that, and it was tearing up the lip of the seal (twice). And I know I should add a little gasket sealant after I start to put it in (so it doesn't get into the parts that want to be slippery). Would it be a bad idea to put a little gasket sealant into the groove (where the lip sits), before I drive the seal in? And I've been driving it in so that the front is flush with the adjacent side. Do I want to drive it in all the way? I feel like oil build-up behind this would add pressure and increase the likelihood of a leak - am I wrong?

I HAVE replaced the bushing. Wow, that old one was worn. Now my pushrod slides in and out like a ... oh, never mind. Wink

Sadly, I must report that I have been dreaming about working on my bike. What's wrong with me? Why can't I be dreaming about women, or at the very least riding my bike? Oh well.

Thanks!

Brook
Photo Gallery
jimmythetrucker

PostPosted: January 3, 2009, 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: clutch pushrod oil seal

The oil that seal is supposed to stop is not under pump pressure. It's just splash and sling off the moving parts in the crankcase.

You think you're nuts for dreaming about working on your bike? I jumped out of bed in the middle of the night a few days ago, having woke up in a panic because I had a research paper due and I hadn't started on it yet -- I ran around in circles all in a tizzy until I realized that I finished graduate school 15 years ago. . . .
Retiredgentleman
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: January 3, 2009, 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: clutch pushrod oil seal

It seems to help if you put the seal in the freezer overnight before installing. I just put Three-bond 1104 around the edge of the seal before pushing it in. It should push in using your thumbs, and it should be approximately flush with the aluminum casing.
Photo Gallery
xsjohn

PostPosted: January 3, 2009, 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: clutch pushrod oil seal

Push rod and trans bearing on that side is pressure fed........

The long push rod and the small rod in the push lever assembly can be turned in a drill and and with a dremmel putting a small indent in the center of both rods.......keeps the long rod alligned on the ball with the short rod in the push lever assembly and even improves the clutch...........rod won't wobble and eat out the bushing and seal ........

Another good tip just blown off no doubt........

xsjohn
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> Engine All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1