650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Custom Work: Chop, Bob, Cafe and Flattracker - Streettracker > > Did you say Bob? No I said Bobber! > > I guess it's time to start a thread, no turning back now

I guess it's time to start a thread, no turning back now
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
    Forum Index -> Did you say Bob? No I said Bobber!
XSDAD

PostPosted: November 17, 2008, 12:45 pm    Post subject: I guess it's time to start a thread, no turning back now

It's begun. I just got this bike in August 2008, for $100 off my brother. It's a 1983 650 xs, it had been sitting for a few years. New battery, spark plugs, tune up, oil change, break pads and other little things were needed to get it on the road again. I also had to by-pass the sidestand switch and unplug the master cyclinder bleedhole (breaks still aren't working yet, but a bit more tinkering should do it). Nothing serious. I didn't take any before pictures, so nothing to post as far as pics yet... maybe I should have, but it was just pretty much just stock anyways. Oh yeah, bought the #4 starter gear too, haven't installed it yet.

First "customization" I did was put on the clubman bars from Mike's XS... I love them. I wasn't sure what direction I would take the bike, as far as which style, until just recently, when I came accross an old military case for 50 cal shells.

I've decided to take that case and put it on the back of the bike to house the battery and electrical. I'll be doing a rat bobber.

I want to keep the frame mostly stock, cut off the rear loop and that's about it, because I live in Winnipeg and our roads are brutal, so for the sake of my ass I want to keep the rear shocks. I'm going to go with a solo seat of some kind, not decided on which yet.

I'm toying with the thought of jockey shift, we'll see.

I started to strip the bike yesterday, now that winter's here. I took the battery and battery tray out, disconnected the wiring. Took off the seat and fenders (front and back). I also took off the airboxes that were connected to the carbs, I'll be installing the K & N looking filters from Mike's XS when they arrive.

This leads me to my first question, of many to come:
1. What are the two hoses for, that connect to those boxes underneath? It started getting dark in my unlit shop so I couldn't investigate much.

I'll likely be keeping the stock tank, at least for now. I'll be taking pictures later.

Warning: I don't know anything about bikes or electrical or mechanical or anything and this is my first build... your help will be greatly appreciated and necessary.

Cheers,
XSDAD

Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: November 17, 2008, 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: I guess it's time to start a thread, no turning back now

The party has begun, look out!

They'd be the breather hoses I'd imagine, try reading this:

650rider.com/index.php...pic&t=5009

And you've probably already read this one:

650rider.com/index.php...pic&t=5483

XSDAD

PostPosted: November 17, 2008, 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: I guess it's time to start a thread, no turning back now

thanks yamaman, I hadn't read either yet. If I'm reading it correctly, I just need to instal a valve in the breather line?

The second link you pointed me to does clear one thing up for me... my bike has been having a hard time in 1st and 5th gear, probly the carb adjustments, I was originally thinking it was the tranny.

Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: November 17, 2008, 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: I guess it's time to start a thread, no turning back now

You could just run a breather filter, like a mini K&N type. As mines a race bike, I have to run mine into a catch tank (a old plastic 1 litre oil bottle). In 3 seasons racing, I've still got the same bottle there, never had to empty it!

The one way valve is to add vacuum to the crank case, kind of sucks any oil leaks back in so to speak!

XSDAD

PostPosted: November 17, 2008, 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: I guess it's time to start a thread, no turning back now

Oh, ok. I get it now, so I would just take off the t-spitter and put a little breather filter at the end instead... Am i getting this right? So I could cut or extend the hose to place this filter anywhere I want on the bike...
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: November 17, 2008, 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: I guess it's time to start a thread, no turning back now

Wink Yep, your getting it!
Just make sure you dont end up spraying oil all over the rear tyre!

XSDAD

PostPosted: November 17, 2008, 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: I guess it's time to start a thread, no turning back now

spraying oil all over the back tire? I would NEVER do that... again.
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: November 17, 2008, 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: I guess it's time to start a thread, no turning back now

if it spray enough oil to coat the rear tire you've got big trouble, I route mine to be aimed at the chain
XSDAD

PostPosted: November 17, 2008, 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: I guess it's time to start a thread, no turning back now

naw, the oil on the tire was from a starter seal... all fixed now. Made for an interesting highway trip at the time though.

PostPosted: November 18, 2008, 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: I guess it's time to start a thread, no turning back now

Here we go... question # 2:
Harley Springer forks... what do I need to do to be able to put these on my '83 650 xs? I got a lead on a set, with rim, for 300$.

PostPosted: November 19, 2008, 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: I guess it's time to start a thread, no turning back now

Any advice on where to find the breather filter that would fit this hose? Mike's XS does not seem to have one. Is it pretty generic?

PostPosted: November 19, 2008, 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: I guess it's time to start a thread, no turning back now

XSDAD wrote:
Here we go... question # 2:
Harley Springer forks... what do I need to do to be able to put these on my '83 650 xs? I got a lead on a set, with rim, for 300$.
contact ardcore choppers, the guy on here goes by the name sure. hes got a kit to make springers work. i have no idea of what it is though.
justin

PostPosted: November 19, 2008, 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: I guess it's time to start a thread, no turning back now

XSDAD wrote:
Any advice on where to find the breather filter that would fit this hose? Mike's XS does not seem to have one. Is it pretty generic?
they have ones that fit at most of the auto stores. its usually by the stainless braided hose covers and accesories. i fitted a power brake booster made by the HELP brand stuff. worked wonders on a small leak i had. go over to 650 garage and search that part, i know the part # is there somewhere. maybe 8099 and 8098. or somthing like that.
XSDAD

PostPosted: November 19, 2008, 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: I guess it's time to start a thread, no turning back now

great, thanks justin.

PostPosted: December 9, 2008, 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: I guess it's time to start a thread, no turning back now

finally got some pictures... the teardown has started...

This is the shell box that started the it all... possible battery box...

The headlights you see here are from a 1937 Fargo 1/2ton truck, I want to mount one on the front fender, maybe add one as break light.

the glove is just to reduce glare... or is it?

y gas mask... love it, would go over the original headlight, lights shinning out the eyes.

I flipped the fender arround so that it's longer in the front, 2 inches, so that the headlight is further up.

PostPosted: December 9, 2008, 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: I guess it's time to start a thread, no turning back now

My eyes! My freakin' eyes!
I think I'm going blind because I can't believe what I'm seeing.
But then, we all are a little eccentric, eh?
Surely will be one of a kind. Don't do anything illegal while riding it.

XSDAD

PostPosted: December 9, 2008, 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: I guess it's time to start a thread, no turning back now

thanks nj1639, that's exactly the reaction I was looking for. Laughing

PostPosted: December 9, 2008, 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: I guess it's time to start a thread, no turning back now

Laughing I was going to imply something about a lysergic past or adhd nightmares.

Nice find you got there and really nice price.
That's the year and color that mine was originally.

scotts

PostPosted: December 9, 2008, 10:27 pm    Post subject: Re: I guess it's time to start a thread, no turning back now

If you decide to not use that tank, I know someone who may be interested in it. He has a cherry bike in the same color that has a dented tank. (Not me, but a friend...)
Photo Gallery
XSDAD

PostPosted: December 10, 2008, 12:13 am    Post subject: Re: I guess it's time to start a thread, no turning back now

the tank has a dent, although small, as well... But if I'm gonna get rid of anything I'll always post it on this site first.
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: December 10, 2008, 1:09 am    Post subject: Re: I guess it's time to start a thread, no turning back now

maybe put the mask on the dash, with a small tacho & speedo for eyes!
Your gunna need to brace up that fender to hang on to that mobile sun!
...................going to be an interesting machine!!!!!!!!!!!

XSDAD

PostPosted: December 10, 2008, 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: I guess it's time to start a thread, no turning back now

I thought of putting it on the dash, but was worried the hose would get in the way of steering.

I considered putting my mobile sun where the current headlight is, but I'd have to extend every wire in the headlight bezel twice (before and after connectors)... and there's lots in there. So it would be a major P.I.A.

If I did that I would add a sissy bar to the back and put the mask at the top with brakelights out the eyes (with a DOT approved brakelight at the bottom).

I do feel sorry for anyone wandering the streets on halucinigents though.

PostPosted: December 11, 2008, 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: I guess it's time to start a thread, no turning back now

Here's an easy question for you guys, what's this piece, behind the passenger peg...

PostPosted: December 11, 2008, 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: I guess it's time to start a thread, no turning back now

That is the rear brake light switch.
'02 Suzuki VZ800
'78 Honda CM185T
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> Did you say Bob? No I said Bobber! All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4