650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Electrical > > help around starter removal

help around starter removal
    Forum Index -> Electrical
ABSINTHE

PostPosted: November 14, 2008, 4:40 am    Post subject: help around starter removal

heya I just pluged my starter motor hole in my engine I wanted to know under the r hand side cover there is a starter solenoid and a piece that looks like a regulator (I just wonder is it a relay for the starter ) anyhow I just wanted to know what that regulator looking brass unit does because if it is for the starter or anything to do with the starter ill remove the whole lot thanx a lot in advance
VLADO

t_dsc00041.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  13.24 KB
 Viewed:  128 Time(s)

t_dsc00041.jpg

t_dsc00040.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  10 KB
 Viewed:  136 Time(s)

t_dsc00040.jpg

650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: November 14, 2008, 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: help around starter removal

yes safety relay, keeps the starter from engaging while motor is running,
Retiredgentleman
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: November 14, 2008, 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: help around starter removal

On later years the safety relay also turns on the headlight. What year is the bike?
Photo Gallery
ABSINTHE

PostPosted: November 14, 2008, 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: help around starter removal

80 special but it also has a unit caled alternative lighting device under the seat just behind the battery I think that is for the headlight ? am I corect B I was just looking at the wire diagram and there are some wires going to the headlight from the safety relay but the reserve lighting unit has the same wire going to it. so if anyone has omited this relay without problem Id love to know about it maybie it kills the headlight power when starter motor is engaged ?
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: November 15, 2008, 2:12 am    Post subject: Re: help around starter removal

Even with the starter motor removed, you still want the safety relay to be working, because that's what turns on the headlight.The only reason you would remove the safety relay, would be if you plan to install a "Lights" switch on the handlebars. Power flows from the headlight fuse to the safety relay, from the safety relay to the Reserve Lighting device and from there to the dimmer switch and headlight.
Photo Gallery
weekendrider
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: November 15, 2008, 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: help around starter removal

ABSINTHE wrote:
80 special but it also has a unit caled alternative lighting device under the seat just behind the battery I think that is for the headlight ? am I corect B I was just looking at the wire diagram and there are some wires going to the headlight from the safety relay but the reserve lighting unit has the same wire going to it. so if anyone has omited this relay without problem Id love to know about it maybie it kills the headlight power when starter motor is engaged ?
I'm going to assume your asking about eliminating the reserve lighting unit. Yes it can be done. You will just have to flip to the high beam yourself if your dim light fails. You jumper the blue/yellow to the blue/black. I've used the old plug from the reserve lighting unit to hold the jumper wire. The bullet couplings are the same and iho makes for a clean finished product. You have to remove the old wires from the plug. I formed a small piece of sheet metal around needle nose plier tips to slide into the coupling to release the locking tabs. Removed one coupler from a wire and soldered it to another short piece to make my jumper. Plugged the empty sockets with silicone and plugged it back in. So far the bike runs so maybe I didn't screw it up too bad. Remember if you fill the pin ends of the coupling it won't mate up.

11-02-08_0808.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  42.03 KB
 Viewed:  122 Time(s)

11-02-08_0808.jpg

11-02-08_0807.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  36.96 KB
 Viewed:  127 Time(s)

11-02-08_0807.jpg

PostPosted: November 15, 2008, 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: help around starter removal

oh ok thanx yeah I can already turn the lights off all the way I use honda vfr switches which let me turn off the light completly.
So to sum it all up I could basicaly remove the safety relay and the reserve lighting unit and plug it all together with the relays omited I use two small halogen lights for the front, I have it set up low beam one light hi beam both this is the switch i use

dsc03765r.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  43.29 KB
 Viewed:  127 Time(s)

dsc03765r.jpg

650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: November 17, 2008, 12:05 am    Post subject: Re: help around starter removal

Yes, with no starter motor and using a "Lights" switch, you can wire directly from the headlight fuse (red/yellow) to the "Lights" switch, with the lights switch feeding your headlights.
Photo Gallery
ABSINTHE

PostPosted: November 17, 2008, 6:12 am    Post subject: Re: help around starter removal

I have been waiting to hear that thanx a lot thats what I am straight onto tomorow thanx a lot guys I realy do apreciate it

Forum Index -> Electrical All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1