650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > General Conversation > > I'm just saying... you know > > XS650s are like drugs..

XS650s are like drugs..
    Forum Index -> I'm just saying... you know
GaugedFreak

PostPosted: August 3, 2008, 8:39 pm    Post subject: XS650s are like drugs..

I bought another XS650 today. My boss had an '81 XS650 Special that they hadn't ridden in over 3 years. I asked her if they wanted to sell it. At first her husband said no, but I kept telling her I'd buy it if they ever changed their mind. She told me this week that her husband finally said he'd sell it, even though he didn't really want to. They'd owned the bike since '91. He bought it with around 5K miles on it, they had a neighbor some work to the carbs, new clutch, and a bunch of other stuff. He put 14K miles on it then it has been sitting in the garage since their youngest sons birth. It's a really clean bike, and when she told me $400 I didn't have to think twice about it. It needs a few things, and freshen up the fuel, battery, oil and a few other things. I want to keep this one near stock maybe some Cafe style parts but I'm not sure. I hate the seat and need to figure something out with that, unfortunately I haven't found any nice seats that would fit an 81 special. Crying or Very sad

Well, here it is. This is what it looked like when I got it home. I hate the stock bars, and the bag and tassel thingys are ridiculous so they had to go.

I threw those dirtbike bars I had on it and trashed the tassels and bag.

The left side turn signal was missing. He said it tipped over on fresh asphalt and broke the turn signal. He mounted another down on the Chain guard for some reason. Luckily I have several of them from my other bike, so I replaced it. Just have to wire it up now.

Just over 19K miles.
nj1639

PostPosted: August 3, 2008, 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: XS650s are like drugs..

NICE. Good deals are still to be had it seems.
Luck of the Irish?

Barbara

PostPosted: August 4, 2008, 12:14 am    Post subject: Re: XS650s are like drugs..

Nice bike!

For $400.00, I know where you can double your money really quickly, if you don't mind delivering it to my house...... Laughing

Seriously, it looks like a great deal to me. Congratulations!

Gemini the BSA
Baby B. the BSA
Big John the BSA
The unnamed Triumph T-140
and the 1979 XS650....with "potential"
illie the 1980 airhead BMW
Photo Gallery
tweedy64

PostPosted: August 4, 2008, 2:22 am    Post subject: Re: XS650s are like drugs..

dont changing the bars make all the difference. Looks like you had a good deal mate have fun. cheers tweedy
Photo Gallery
GaugedFreak

PostPosted: August 4, 2008, 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: XS650s are like drugs..

Yes, it's amazing what a different set of bars do to both look and feel of the bike. Now I just have to do something about that mushy front end and seat and I'll be in great shape.

Barbara, thanks for the offer but no way! lol I'm dying to get this thing running so that I can ride it.

NJ, its the luck of something. I'm not sure how much Irish I am, but I'll take what I can get. lol
daveincsa

PostPosted: August 10, 2008, 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: XS650s are like drugs..

Hi, I just got a 1979 XS that has the same kind of handle bars as this bike had. Can someone recommend me what handle bars from MikesXS site would be similar to the new ones he put on?

Last edited by daveincsa on November 16, 2008, 2:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
penn71911

PostPosted: August 10, 2008, 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: XS650s are like drugs..

They are listed as Dirttrack/Streettrack bars on mikesxs, #25-1087.

'82 XS650 - Daily rider
'77 Honda CB750 - Recently adopted
'70 Yamaha CS3 - Saved from the junk pile...
Photo Gallery
daveincsa

PostPosted: August 10, 2008, 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: XS650s are like drugs..

Thanks!

y wife isn't going to like MikesXS. I see a number of purchases in my future!!
rsylvstr

PostPosted: August 10, 2008, 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: XS650s are like drugs..

daveincsa wrote:
Thanks!

haha, tell her she has great company in NY....my wife thought my addictionto Ford Truck Enthusiasts was bad...this is worse. I've been into bikes all my life and have been away from them too long!
daveincsa

PostPosted: August 11, 2008, 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: XS650s are like drugs..

rsylvstr wrote:
daveincsa wrote:
Thanks!

haha, tell her she has great company in NY....my wife thought my addictionto Ford Truck Enthusiasts was bad...this is worse. I've been into bikes all my life and have been away from them too long!

Well, first it was guitars and amps. I've probably had about 12 different guitars throughout our 19 years of marriage. I'm very settled in that area.

Then it became surplus firearms and hunting. I've kinda settled down with that stuff but I'm looking for a cheap deer rifle for the upcoming season.

Forum Index -> I'm just saying... you know All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1