650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > General Conversation > > I'm just saying... you know > > Battery box, ad infinitum....

Battery box, ad infinitum....
    Forum Index -> I'm just saying... you know
Barbara

PostPosted: August 3, 2008, 12:35 am    Post subject: Battery box, ad infinitum....

Hi Guys,

Well, I found it! All of my dancing around with batteries, new wires, cleaning switches--and I found it. One of the wires (the red one -- the "battery" lead) from a very old, nasty, cracked and corroded rectifier was *very* loose and finally broke.

Good news, huh? Except I'm wondering how in the world does one get the battery box out of the frame? Please don't tell me that I have to remove the rear tire and wheel...I've already taken the front section out of the rear fender, and all the misc. parts---I want to remove the battery box to clean it up and paint it before putting everything back, along with a new rectifier. If I have to, I can wire-brush and clean up the thing as it sits: half out of the frame, then do the other side, but I'd love to actually bend the rules and do it right, if it's possible. The silly thing wasn't born inside the frame box, it must have slid in somehow.....either that or its secretly British after all.... Wink

Any ideas? Idea

Thanks, Guys!

Gemini the BSA
Baby B. the BSA
Big John the BSA
The unnamed Triumph T-140
and the 1979 XS650....with "potential"
illie the 1980 airhead BMW
Photo Gallery
killtrip

PostPosted: August 3, 2008, 1:57 am    Post subject: Re: Battery box, ad infinitum....

I couldnt find a way to get the battery box out... if anyone knows how, I'd be very interested as well
weekendrider
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: August 3, 2008, 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: Battery box, ad infinitum....

Look at the schematic. Wouldn't it come out fom the top?

PostPosted: August 3, 2008, 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: Battery box, ad infinitum....

Congrats, you've discovered the "Rubix Cube" on the XS650 Smile It will come out if you fool with it enough, through the top I think but don't hold me to that, but the easiest way is rear wheel and plastic inner fender removal.
kenb

PostPosted: August 3, 2008, 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: Battery box, ad infinitum....

After much experimentation, mine came out through the left side. I didn't want to go through all the hassle of pulling the back wheel out, so I just kept at it for a while until things lined up just right and it finally slipped through. Since the whole operation consisted of nothing but random twisting, rotating and general manipulation, I can't really offer you any specific tips to follow to make it easier. Replacing it was just as confusing a process as removing it was, exept that I had the benefit of knowing that it was actually possible by that time.

I guess I'm trying to say that I know it's possible to remove it through the side, but I don't really have a clue as to how I did it, and I'm not looking forward to doing it again!

Ken

home.cogeco.ca/~kenb2/index.html
Photo Gallery
tweedy64

PostPosted: August 3, 2008, 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery box, ad infinitum....

must have been built proper then if its british barb. The guys are right it will come out just persevere n wiggle it lol. cheers tweedy
Photo Gallery
Barbara

PostPosted: August 3, 2008, 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery box, ad infinitum....

Hi Guys,

Well! I tried and I tried, and I gave up and carefully rotated the thing in place so I could wire-brush it and paint it, to at least stop the rusting. Then I sat back and looked at it.

Oh.

The tops of the battery box are cut away on the left and right sides---if you rotate the box 90 degrees clockwise, and tip it back down and to the left, those cutaways allow you to easily lift the thing right out of the frame. Took about four seconds, and was I happy?

Naw, I just felt stupid..... Rolling Eyes

But I can't keep a secret, so I had to share....and I *do* have a freshly painted battery box now....that's worth something, I guess....

(Gee--I hope it will go back in the same way it came out.....) Laughing

Gemini the BSA
Baby B. the BSA
Big John the BSA
The unnamed Triumph T-140
and the 1979 XS650....with "potential"
illie the 1980 airhead BMW
Photo Gallery
Retiredgentleman
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: August 3, 2008, 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery box, ad infinitum....

Congratulations to anyone that can figure out how to get that bleep,bleep battery box out of the frame! I tried to get mine out last year and just gave up in disgust. Boy do I feel dumb now!
Photo Gallery
kenb

PostPosted: August 3, 2008, 11:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery box, ad infinitum....

Barbara wrote:
....and I *do* have a freshly painted battery box now....that's worth something, I guess....

(Gee--I hope it will go back in the same way it came out.....) Laughing

I do recall that it was a really tight fit, so I hope you didn't apply that coat of paint too thick or it won't fit back in there!

Ken

home.cogeco.ca/~kenb2/index.html
Photo Gallery
GaugedFreak

PostPosted: August 4, 2008, 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: Battery box, ad infinitum....

Out the back with the tire and inner fender removed was the only way I could get it out. I tried and tried to get it out from the side and it just wasn't working.

Forum Index -> I'm just saying... you know All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1