650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > General Conversation > > I'm just saying... you know > > Going on first out of state ride...what to bring?

Going on first out of state ride...what to bring?
    Forum Index -> I'm just saying... you know
hal0tw0
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: July 29, 2008, 11:53 am    Post subject: Going on first out of state ride...what to bring?

Im taking my first real long trip (3-5 hrs) to North Carolina with about 6-8 coworkers, mostly harley guys/gals but I feel pretty confident in the bike with the distance. Im thinking of a list of stuff Ill carry in my backpack for spares. From your experiance, what else is needed in addition to the factory tool kit.

Extra points
A couple feet of 14g wire
ultimeter
Fuses
Elec tape
Clutch cable

Anthing else? am I being paranoid? I never thought twice to hop on the R1 and go wherever. But this is another story.

Thanks

weekendrider
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: July 29, 2008, 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Going on first out of state ride...what to bring?

A cell phone. I take 6-700 mile trips pretty regular. Before I leave the air pressure, drive chain, cam chain, and valves are checked/adjusted along with a oil change. And make sure someone will be available if they get a call.

PostPosted: July 29, 2008, 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Going on first out of state ride...what to bring?

I see you thought to throw in some spare breaker points -- better throw in a set of new spark plugs, too. If the points burn up, you're like to foul a plug in the process. WHEN points burn up, they burn for a reason, and the reason is often a shorted condenser. . . . Funny thing, too, I've always found it good practice to carry a few granola bars. They come in handy sometimes when you're sittin' along the road waitin' for your buddy to show up with the spares -- or waitin' while your buddy fixes HIS machine.

Last edited by jimmythetrucker on July 29, 2008, 2:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
tweedy64

PostPosted: July 29, 2008, 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Going on first out of state ride...what to bring?

me n my buddys all used to ride triumphs and we were called the verge gang for obvious reasons lol. cheers tweedy
Photo Gallery
jimmythetrucker

PostPosted: July 29, 2008, 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Going on first out of state ride...what to bring?

tweedy64 wrote:
me n my buddys all used to ride triumphs and we were called the verge gang for obvious reasons lol. cheers tweedy

If I rode a Triumph, I'd carry a rosary, some incense, and probably a pint flask full of Irish holy water. Triumphs often require divine intervention.
tweedy64

PostPosted: July 29, 2008, 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Going on first out of state ride...what to bring?

hence i ride an xs now lmao. cheers tweedy
Photo Gallery
Barbara

PostPosted: July 29, 2008, 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Going on first out of state ride...what to bring?

Hi,

Spare master link, and chain lube. Sun-screen, and bottled water if you have room.

And if you have a lucky charm, I'd carry that, too! (I have a piece of the barbed wire fence the Yam and I went through in 1980---it's my amulet..)

I just got back from a 553 mile trip down to Oregon on the XS and sidecar, and it's wonderful! You just can't beat an XS650 for an all-around bike!

Have fun!

Gemini the BSA
Baby B. the BSA
Big John the BSA
The unnamed Triumph T-140
and the 1979 XS650....with "potential"
illie the 1980 airhead BMW
Photo Gallery
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: July 29, 2008, 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Going on first out of state ride...what to bring?

hi barb, did you get your battery situation figured out?
cscarroll

PostPosted: July 29, 2008, 10:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Going on first out of state ride...what to bring?

A gerber or similar multitool is also a must have.

For what it's worth, I've done 3,000+ mile trips on other bikes and usually found I had more than I needed....

Photo Gallery
Barbara

PostPosted: July 30, 2008, 1:16 am    Post subject: Re: Going on first out of state ride...what to bring?

Hi Jayel,

(Sorry for the mini-hijack) I put in a regular bike battery, on the bike instead of the chair, and found a loose connection in the process. I think it's solved, since I just got back from that little trip to Oregon.

Oh, the other thing to take on a trip---"Snow-Sealed" boots, just in case it rains.....

Here's hoping it's all good.....

Gemini the BSA
Baby B. the BSA
Big John the BSA
The unnamed Triumph T-140
and the 1979 XS650....with "potential"
illie the 1980 airhead BMW
Photo Gallery
hal0tw0
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: July 30, 2008, 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: Going on first out of state ride...what to bring?

Thanks for all the tips. I think all the bases are covered. Ill let you know Sun how it went. Smile
jetmechmarty

PostPosted: July 30, 2008, 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: Going on first out of state ride...what to bring?

I asked this same question six years ago when I was planning a two thousand mile trip on my XS650. Somebody suggested I take a spare charging rotor. I didn't take the advice. I changed my brushes on the road and the main fuse twice. I did make it to my destination and back. The next time I tried to ride the bike, my rotor was shorted and the battery dead. I guess I have the luck of the Irish.

arty (in Georgia)
XS650SK
XS1100SG

hal0tw0
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: July 30, 2008, 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Going on first out of state ride...what to bring?

Marty or anyone else
from my project 72 is the charging rotor a plug and play for the 79? thanks

jetmechmarty

PostPosted: July 30, 2008, 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Going on first out of state ride...what to bring?

I think it is. The '80 and newer models have pickup for the electronic iggy.
penn71911

PostPosted: July 30, 2008, 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Going on first out of state ride...what to bring?

It's plug and play *IF* both bikes have points. The electronic ignition rotors will work in the points bikes but the points rotor will NOT work for the electronic ignition.

'82 XS650 - Daily rider
'77 Honda CB750 - Recently adopted
'70 Yamaha CS3 - Saved from the junk pile...
Photo Gallery
hal0tw0
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: July 30, 2008, 10:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Going on first out of state ride...what to bring?

thanks, yep both bikes points. BUT I just got my MikesXS package today with my new 1 piece clutch rod and seals , single points conversion, correct spark plugs, and bigfoot shift lever. I also got a dual coil off ebay that will tie it all together. Hopefully a bigfat spark will waken the beast up. Twisted Evil I leave Sat morning, I got some work to do....
pumps
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

Location: Kansas City, Missouri, U.S.A.- 1977 XS650 "D" Standard

PostPosted: July 30, 2008, 11:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Going on first out of state ride...what to bring?

Wisdom from the Iron Butt Riders....

29 Tips & Techniques from IBR veterans

www.ironbutt.com/tech/aow.cfm

My Bikes
Photo Gallery
hal0tw0
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: July 31, 2008, 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: Going on first out of state ride...what to bring?

Thanks for the link!

If it can be avoided, don't use a trip as a test bed for a new exciting accessory. This is particularly true for electrical system farkles. It's asking for trouble to install new auxiliary lights or perform other mission-critical electrical modifications right before a rally. This leaves no time to thoroughly exercise the system for proper behavior before having to depend on them during a long night ride.

I thought about this when I got all the stuff in the mail, the bike is running good, so I thought it would run even better with the new coil and stuff. I would hate to find out it was a dud 100 miles later! What do you guys think.

jetmechmarty

PostPosted: July 31, 2008, 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: Going on first out of state ride...what to bring?

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

If it were me, I'd do all that stuff later.

arty (in Georgia)

Tomterrific

PostPosted: July 31, 2008, 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: Going on first out of state ride...what to bring?

The wire is the most important thing on your list. I broke down coming back from Mid-Ohio with my Triumph (I love it, really) and used a wire to jump the battery to the coils. I just rode it home with it jumpered like it was supposed to be that way. You can eliminate all the existing wiring with a jumper because whatever happens, all you need is the engine running to make it home.

A can of flat proof. Yes it's dirty and yes it is a half a$$ed fix, but when you really need to get the bike to move it may be the only alternative you have.

Water to drink. The beer gets old fast.

Lube the chain before you go, the night before if possible. Chain lube contains a solvent so it penetrates. The solvent evaporates and a thick grease is left in the chain. Give the solvent time to go away. One good lube should last the ride.

To lube a chain:
Bike on center stand and idling.
Cardboard under chain to catch drips.
Snap bike into first.
Use the little red tube to spray lube at teh junction of the sprocket and the chain as the chain rolls past. Centrifugal force spins the lube evenly into the chain rollers. You need only do one side as capilary action will pull the lube through the rollers.
Let the lube set and thicken.

As you lube the chain note the condition of the chain and sprocket. A new chain is cheap insurance and new sprockets should be used. Cheap guy tip: Flip the sprockets over so the unworn side runs on the new chain.

And the very best thing to bring is a good map that shows back roads. Most book stores have books of county maps and my personal favorite the DeLorme Atlas for your state. You would not ride the freeway, would you? Boring!

Tom Graham
hal0tw0
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: August 2, 2008, 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Going on first out of state ride...what to bring?

Got back from my "ironbutt" to Wilson NC. More on that later.
Well the trip went great. We met up with a few guys here and there and finally left at 10am. One of the Docs asked my if this old thing was going to make it..... Rolling Eyes This after he plops his ass onto his fullon Harley dresser with everything and the kitchen sink.
About 20 miles into it the tach cable craps out on me. So I really didnt know my revs. But I do know the vibrations nearly shook my upper body apart! Well Im exagerating abit. But damn, I would like to drop them down about 500rpms or so. We were mostly crusing the upper side of 70+ down 301 and 95.
Ohh, and my ass is full on monkeybutt. that seat I started to make looked OK I guess, but s***, I needed like 2 more inches of padding to make a difference. Those bratstyle seats are just for barhopping, not touring. Live and learn. I dont think Im ever going to do 2up so I may just get one of those Mikesxs cafe seats. They look comfy. I dunno....
So yeah, no mechanical problems but.......On our very last pitstop in Hopewell we all were rolling out and my Ipod fell out of my shirt pocket. So I put down the kickstand, walked over and picked up the still working Ipod and low and behold the bike ate s*** and fell over Evil or Very Mad DOHHH
So after assesing the damage, the clutch lever ball tore off, my new bigfoot shiftlever bent all to hell and the bike wouldnt start due to flooded carbs I guess. A few minutes later it started......Not to bad for what I had prepared for.

Now were all going to Savanah in 2 weeks! I need to pad that damn seat and get some better gearing!

Thanks for all your input folks Smile

Forum Index -> I'm just saying... you know All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1