650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Custom Work: Chop, Bob, Cafe and Flattracker - Streettracker > > Cafe Racer > > Started Cafe'ing my '73

Started Cafe'ing my '73
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
    Forum Index -> Cafe Racer
MN_TX650

PostPosted: February 16, 2009, 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Started Cafe'ing my '73

Probably going to powder coat the tank to look aluminum. Far as the pipes go, not sure what they are. They were on the bike when I bought it. They kind of look like dunstall replicas widemouth pipes....

www.denniskirk.com/jsp...302&mmyId=
JeffM

PostPosted: February 16, 2009, 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Started Cafe'ing my '73

Thx MN... looks like they are cheap too!

They reminded me of the pipes on the late model BSA A65, which are fairly similar in style to the early xs1/xs2. Look like a good alternative to the stockers.

a65.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  42.85 KB
 Viewed:  349 Time(s)

a65.jpg

a65.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  42.85 KB
 Viewed:  331 Time(s)

a65.jpg

JeffM

PostPosted: February 16, 2009, 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Started Cafe'ing my '73

Sorry for the double photo!! First time attaching one (or two). Tis a pretty bike though, love that gray frame.
cretin75xs650

PostPosted: February 17, 2009, 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: Started Cafe'ing my '73

MN, I like the seat. I have a 81 XS650 and am having a difficult time find a seat that fits without modifing the frame. I don't want to cut the frame to have a cafe style seat fit. I see that the tail of your frame curves up, my 81 does the same, do you think that that style of seat would fit my 81? That tank and seat really looks great.

jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: February 17, 2009, 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: Started Cafe'ing my '73

could always make your own

www.hondatwins.net/for...?f=6&t=325

MN_TX650

PostPosted: February 17, 2009, 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: Started Cafe'ing my '73

Which seat are you thinking? I think the fiberglass one would fit your frame nicely, as it tapers in towards the tank....where my older frame does not. The Manx seat should also fit. But with either one, you would either need to lose the rear fender or pound a dimple into it. I will most likely be selling my fiberglass seat at some point...after I verify that I truly like the way the manx seat mounts...
lauramonster

PostPosted: February 19, 2009, 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Started Cafe'ing my '73

the manx seat is hot!! especially the red piping.

Great Find!! thanks for sharing!

PostPosted: February 19, 2009, 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Started Cafe'ing my '73

Smile no prob.
MN_TX650

PostPosted: March 13, 2009, 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: Started Cafe'ing my '73

Well, the 750 tank is out for powder coat. Decided to go with a chrome powder that the guy recomended. Says it will look like polished aluminum when it is done. He's going to do all the prep work on the tank also...which is nice. Found out my fork tubes were bent like gonzo's nose when I went to polish the lowers. Ordered up new tubes from Mikes that arrived yesterday. Planning to completely rebuild the front end this weekend. New tubes, seals, and oil in the forks and tapered bearings in the triple tree. My swingarm pivot shaft has become one with the bike and will not budge after a week of penetrating fluid and a BFH. Ordered a new shaft and inner bushing and will cut the old one out this weekend also and reinstall with the new brass bushings and pivot shaft from mikes. My avon RoadRiders are here also, and hopefully I will be installing them next week. Slowly starting to take shape! Looking at having a friend cut some decals for the tank when it is done also

MN_TX650

PostPosted: March 17, 2009, 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: Started Cafe'ing my '73

My decals have been cut! Talked to my powdercoater last night, and he is working on the tank already too. Might even have it back by the weekend! Sweet.

MN_TX650

PostPosted: March 25, 2009, 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Started Cafe'ing my '73

Still waiting on my tank, but got my new Avons mounted up and spent some time cleaning up the fork lowers. Shined em up by hand last night and will hit em with the buffing wheel tonight

y son getting in the picture this morning LOL

This is what the forks look like with just Wizards Metal Polish run on them. Not bad. Still going to hit them with the buffing wheels before putting them back on. You can see how they started out looking near the axle holes. Didn't work real hard on the lower areas. Will let the buffing wheel do that LOL

MN_TX650

PostPosted: March 26, 2009, 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: Started Cafe'ing my '73

My powder coater just sent me a picture. Said he found a small ding he wants to fix and relay the powder, but I think it is looking AWESOME. Alloy looking tank....MUCH less cost Very Happy

Ken99

PostPosted: March 26, 2009, 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: Started Cafe'ing my '73

Wow! Looks great!
MN_TX650

PostPosted: March 27, 2009, 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: Started Cafe'ing my '73

I am anxious to see a good picture with the clear coat on it.
yamaman
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: March 27, 2009, 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: Started Cafe'ing my '73

We all are MN, never heard of chrome powdercoat! Looks awesome!!!
MN_TX650

PostPosted: March 27, 2009, 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: Started Cafe'ing my '73

Check out the latest pictures he sent Surprised

Buddy78SX650

PostPosted: March 27, 2009, 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: Started Cafe'ing my '73

Man that looks sooooo clean!!!

PostPosted: March 27, 2009, 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: Started Cafe'ing my '73

He has done amazing work so far. I have no doubt it is going to look phenominal when it is done. I don't know that I will be putting those decals on after all! LOL
TeeCat

PostPosted: March 27, 2009, 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Started Cafe'ing my '73

Man, that looks t*ts!! Looks for all the world like polished aluminum!
Photo Gallery
MN_TX650

PostPosted: March 27, 2009, 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Started Cafe'ing my '73

Yeah, I never would've thought it would turn out this nice. But he has put a lot of time into it. There were some bad spots that had to be fixed with quick-steel then sanded smooth. Then he primered it and found accouple more spots he wanted fixed, so he stripped it back down to do that. Now after laying a coat of chrome, he found a small spot he wanted to sand out. The guy is thorough. Hey TeeCat....what you thinking of them pipes? Mikes is sold out, but I think I found the same ones on ebay. Just trying to decide between them and the cocktail shakers. are yours 1.5" ID so no spacers are needed?
TeeCat

PostPosted: March 27, 2009, 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Started Cafe'ing my '73

You really found an artisan, judging by those pics!

I love those muffs so far! They're Part #07-0014. I used three spacers and have a nice snug fit, and the chrome clamps complement the installation up really nice. I made custom-bent aluminum straps for the rear mount.

What's really wild is that - don't ask me how - the bike, on stock jetting, now sounds a bit like a small-block V8 with a cam! Razz Not overly loud, but DEEP... bit intimidating, really.
Photo Gallery
MN_TX650

PostPosted: March 27, 2009, 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Started Cafe'ing my '73

I talked to John about the stock jetting on the TX's, and he said they ran fairly rich. I have a set of XS Performace Pods to go on once I decide on pipes. He was fairly confident the jetting would be alright for the pipes and filters. Probably going to pick up a set of his needles for the bike also...just running out of money. Still need pipes and some sort of front brake. Are you running the Stock filters or pods? I bought new stock filters last year, and would make you a good deal on them if you need a spare set LOL
yamaman
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: March 27, 2009, 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Started Cafe'ing my '73

MN_TX650 wrote:
Probably going to pick up a set of his needles

Have you got 34mm carbs? should be 38mm shouldn't they?

Pretty sure Johns needles are for 34's only! Cheers

MN_TX650

PostPosted: March 27, 2009, 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Started Cafe'ing my '73

He told me he made needles for the early model carbs...

Forum Index -> Cafe Racer All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6