650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Custom Work: Chop, Bob, Cafe and Flattracker - Streettracker > > Cafe Racer > > Started Cafe'ing my '73

Started Cafe'ing my '73
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
    Forum Index -> Cafe Racer
MN_TX650

PostPosted: August 6, 2008, 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Started Cafe'ing my '73

just ordered a taillight for my new fender too. Got a 1950's Pontiac style taillight

MN_TX650

PostPosted: September 9, 2008, 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: Started Cafe'ing my '73

Had accouple minutes last night, so I set the tank and new seat pan on the bike to see if I was going to like the way it looked. I am digging it thus far!! Need to get the tank cleaned and sealed up, and the mounts modified. Hoping to get some of that done this weekend. The rear fender is coming off, and the fiberglass tail section will sit right on the frame...no gap, and nice and loooooooooooooow. Very Happy The tank will also be about 3" further forward once it is mounted. What do you all think?

drifter
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: September 9, 2008, 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Started Cafe'ing my '73

What kind of tank is that? You have a really nice looking cafe there! I am trying to get my 78 lights working, and then I will start caffeinating it again. Already have the clubmans mounted, and am going with a stock 78 roadster seat. I want to find a cheap tank with the shape similar to yours and the knee indents in it. I also want to replace the stock Special exhaust with a long style with slightly upswept mufflets. My only problem is money.

Dave

"Never mind the track. The track is for punks. We are Road People. We are Cafe Racers." Hunter S. Thompson
Photo Gallery
MN_TX650

PostPosted: September 10, 2008, 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: Started Cafe'ing my '73

The tank is off an XS750. If you search here, you will see how easy it is to mount this style of tank to the 650's. I had some doubt on switching the original (and retro/classic) style tank and seat out...but once I set the new components on, I was hooked. I started this project with the intent of building an all out cafe bike...changed my mind for the classic looks, and changed my mind back again. It just looks too sweet not to do!! Smile
NateDogg

PostPosted: September 12, 2008, 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Started Cafe'ing my '73

Looks good, what are you gonna do for upholstery on the seat?
TeeCat

PostPosted: September 15, 2008, 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: Started Cafe'ing my '73

It's coming along! Smile I'm just glad you're not cutting the frame on a clean '73 TX. Good that you don't have to do that, imho. When I bought my '73, the PO made me promise not to cut it up.
Photo Gallery
MN_TX650

PostPosted: September 15, 2008, 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: Started Cafe'ing my '73

Not sure what I am going to do to upholster the seat yet. That is turning into my winter project LOL. Running out of time to get much more work done before the snow flies up here in minnesooooota. Been riding my VTX every chance I get on the nice weather days.

Teecat...I may need to modify and adjust a few things sticking up on the frame, but for the most part it will remain unmolested. I am in search of the bottom front fender brace though...if you happen to see one somewheres. Or even a complete fender in good shape. My bottom brace is bent and makes the fender sit funny.
MN_TX650

PostPosted: February 11, 2009, 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Started Cafe'ing my '73

So I ended up switching directions a bit. the seat I ordered just didn't fit well with the older XS frame, but I found one that did and ordered it thru clubmanracing.com. It is the old Manx style of seat. Tim's XS/2 project gave me the idea for it. I like the looks and think it will look nice with the 750 tank. Hoping it is here friday. I have also been slowly accumilating parts to really start cranking on this again. We went thru a bitter cold snap here in MN and I haven't been able to work on it much. But that seems to be over finally!

Here's my new seat

www.clubmanracing.com/cafeseats.php

And a newer photo of the TX. 750 Tank is mounted. Will get the new seat mounted when it comes in, and hopefully get the rearsets mocked up before striping it all down and rebuilding. I've got new bearings, bushings, and other parts waiting to replace all the worn out pieces Very Happy

Loco

PostPosted: February 12, 2009, 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: Started Cafe'ing my '73

Hi i'm going down the same road but with a 77d frame
looking forward to see that seat and tank together
j
Photo Gallery
xs1961
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: February 12, 2009, 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: Started Cafe'ing my '73

Can anyone post a picture(s) of a 750 tank on a 650 taken from rear/above as from the riders perspective please ?
gradually losing intrest... God help me...
Photo Gallery
MN_TX650

PostPosted: February 12, 2009, 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: Started Cafe'ing my '73

xs1961 wrote:
Can anyone post a picture(s) of a 750 tank on a 650 taken from rear/above as from the riders perspective please ?

There is a nice picture posted about half way down on this thread...

$100 Wonder Build

If anyone is interested, the black tank and fiberglass seat in my pics towards the top of this page will most likely be for sale. The tank for sure, the seat almost for sure. Should fit the 74+ standard frames much nicer than the older 71-73 frames. I will be picking up a 78 standard this week or next and could verify that the seat fits if someone is interested.
TeeCat

PostPosted: February 12, 2009, 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: Started Cafe'ing my '73

I like your seat direction. You doing it with blue trim?
Photo Gallery
MN_TX650

PostPosted: February 12, 2009, 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Started Cafe'ing my '73

only comes with red piping Sad The old Norton Manx seat all had it. I am thinking about having the tank coated to give it a brushed aluminum look also.
MN_TX650

PostPosted: February 16, 2009, 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Started Cafe'ing my '73

here it is:

xs1961
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: February 16, 2009, 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Started Cafe'ing my '73

Very nice ! Definitely digging out my old 750 tank this spring !
gradually losing intrest... God help me...
Photo Gallery
NorwegianXS

PostPosted: February 16, 2009, 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Started Cafe'ing my '73

The seatheight looks low. How will it be with rearsets?
Will it "kill" your knee.

MN_TX650

PostPosted: February 16, 2009, 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Started Cafe'ing my '73

Guess we'll find out LOL. I am a short guy though, so I think it will be OK. I am making my own mounts for the rear sets, so I can move them around to fit me. I tried my feet on the passenger pegs, and they were a hair too low.
wesleyonoel

PostPosted: February 16, 2009, 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Started Cafe'ing my '73

MN TX650
The past few photos you posted are without air filter side covers. I've been looking for a complete left side cover for my '73. Are you going to use yours or do something different?.....................Wes
MN_TX650

PostPosted: February 16, 2009, 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Started Cafe'ing my '73

I am not sure yet what I will be doing. I was kind of hoping to find a set that was buggered up so I could keep these ones original to sell. I may try and design something else to cover the battery box with so I can leave the filters open and install some of Mikes K&N style pods. If I end up not using the sidecovers, I will let you know.
wesleyonoel

PostPosted: February 16, 2009, 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Started Cafe'ing my '73

MN TX 650
Thank you! I appreciate the consideration. Might even be interested in the stock gas tank if it's in good condition. Mine has been bumped around a bit. My goal is to get my '73 back to as close to original as possible so am interested in good stock pieces.......Wes
MN_TX650

PostPosted: February 16, 2009, 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Started Cafe'ing my '73

The stock tank looks alright from a distance. The only big problem spot, is that the tank had a leak when I first got it back on the road...which I did not notice right away. Long story short, the gas ate the paint off the tank under the seat. Sad I patched the hole with gastank repair puddy, and it holds just fine now...but the damage has been done. The inside of the tank was coated by the previous owner. I installed brand new MikesXS petcocks on it too.
wesleyonoel

PostPosted: February 16, 2009, 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Started Cafe'ing my '73

MN TX650
Had a leak in the same spot but had a friend weld it. Needless to say the paint suffered. Not a big deal. I guess that was a problem in the early years, or so I'm told. Mine has been dented pretty much all over. All can be fixed but would just as soon start with a straight tank..................Wes
MN_TX650

PostPosted: February 16, 2009, 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Started Cafe'ing my '73

Well, I will let you know. this one was welded too, but the weld seeped.
JeffM

PostPosted: February 16, 2009, 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Started Cafe'ing my '73

That is bike is coming together really nicely!! That seat is a huge improvement over the previous version, nice and trim at the back, completely changes the lines of the bike. The upholstery makes it look finished and integrated with the bike... so many caf seats look like an afterthought. An alloy (looking) tank would complete the look for sure.
I wondered about the passenger pegs for rearsetsl as they look to be in the right place with that seat. You just need a pair of Lewis leather boots with nice thick soles to make up the height difference!

Do you know what those mufflers are on your bike?

Forum Index -> Cafe Racer All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6