650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Custom Work: Chop, Bob, Cafe and Flattracker - Streettracker > > Cafe Racer > > Cafe Racer project in Australia

Cafe Racer project in Australia
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
    Forum Index -> Cafe Racer
Razar

PostPosted: October 15, 2008, 3:13 am    Post subject: Re: Cafe Racer project in Australia

At the moment I'm working on the tank. So far I've shaped one side panel and am about halfway through the the other side.
There is still alot of work in finishing them to get a full polish. It's good fun though. I've been looking up site's on armoury. Some amazing work there, and some handy tips.

tank shaped not finished resize 1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  81.28 KB
 Viewed:  294 Time(s)

tank shaped not finished resize 1.jpg

tank shaped not finished resize 2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  91.91 KB
 Viewed:  304 Time(s)

tank shaped not finished resize 2.jpg

ABSINTHE

PostPosted: November 12, 2008, 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: Cafe Racer project in Australia

what top triple clamp are you using is it a standard one with the holes in the top or something else thanx a lot

PostPosted: November 30, 2008, 4:15 am    Post subject: Re: Cafe Racer project in Australia

Hi Absinthe, The top clamp is just the standard with all the bits off and polished.

I haven't done much on the project for a couple of weeks.
I've got a broken foot thanks to a wheel rim that came off the back of an oncoming truck. I was doing about 120 kph and I guess he was doing about 100kph. Suddenly this steel wheel rim bounced up from behind it, and came straight for me. I locked up the bike (SV650 Suzuki) , it got a little crossed up then wham the rim hit me in the right foot. It ripped open my boot, smashed my second toe (bits of bone sticking out) and broke a bone in my ankle. Fortunately I didn't come off. I had to ride about 25 KM to get to the local hospital. They've put a wire in the toe to hold it together while it heals.
I guess I'm lucky it didn't hit me in the chest or head.Oh and the bike didn't get a scratch. Can you believe it???
xsjohn

PostPosted: November 30, 2008, 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Cafe Racer project in Australia

Think my big toe just started to hurt again where I hit it with a hatchet when I was a kid................

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
xsleo

PostPosted: November 30, 2008, 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Cafe Racer project in Australia

on your brakes, can you make a bracket that bolts to the fork, then your calipers bolt to the bracket. i have seen this done on other bikes. when building the bracket you can build in whatever offset you need.

'75 XS650B with a 79 dual disc front end, rear disk brake, Chrysler reg, Radio Shack rect, LED tail/ brake and turn signals.
Photo Gallery
pumps
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

Location: Kansas City, Missouri, U.S.A.- 1977 XS650 "D" Standard

PostPosted: November 30, 2008, 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Cafe Racer project in Australia

Razar, go buy a lottery ticket eh? Sounds painful though....

My Bikes
Photo Gallery
scalejockey

PostPosted: December 7, 2008, 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Cafe Racer project in Australia

EEEESH! Man that was a close call!
Iv'e busted up feet at different times,IT REALLY HURTS!
Keep the updates coming when your back off the pain meds.

Razar

PostPosted: January 27, 2009, 1:34 am    Post subject: Re: Cafe Racer project in Australia

Hi guys, I'm back. I bought the lottery ticket (several actually) but it would apear that I have used up my allocation of luck for the time being. The foot, however, is back to being a useful addition to my leg. Ocasionally though, it has a mind not to do exactly as it's told

Xsleo, the way I'm doing the brakes is the way you suggest. The problem has been to get enough space between the disc and the spokes for the back of the caliper. You can fit a spacer to move the disc out but there is a limit before the discs hit the forks.

I've finally finished putting the tank together, though I'm yet to pressure test the welding, which could be an interesting exercise. This has been a steep learning curve, and some of the welding started out pretty ordinary. Also, as you can see I have not sanded or polished it yet.

I want to get on with the hold down strap and mounting. Once they're done and the steering stops altered to limit the turn of the forks a little, so that the forks don't contact the front of the tank, the frame will be off to get blasted and powder coated.

tank 005 resize.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  115.11 KB
 Viewed:  320 Time(s)

tank 005 resize.jpg

tank 006 resize.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  115.45 KB
 Viewed:  288 Time(s)

tank 006 resize.jpg

tank 008 resize.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  138.02 KB
 Viewed:  281 Time(s)

tank 008 resize.jpg

JeffM

PostPosted: January 27, 2009, 1:55 am    Post subject: Re: Cafe Racer project in Australia

Wow ... just beautiful!

Nice lines and good work. Filler neck has a nice molded in look.

Jeff
Razar

PostPosted: February 15, 2009, 10:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Cafe Racer project in Australia

SHIiiiiiiTT!!!!

(can I say that here?)

Just about finished assembling the bottom end of the motor. Looking nice, all bead blasted clean, gaskets gooed, copper washers and stainless nuts and bolts shiney and new. Gear selector stuff all in place and adjusted. I'm just about to assemble all the gears in the right casing. Following the book.
I lay out the gears etc on the bench. Hang on? What's this shaft? There's no shaft in the book. Ahh the joys of assembling things that have sat in boxes for a year. It's the shaft and gears that come from the starter motor. Unfortunately the gear that engages the starter has to be fitted from the inside. s***!! I'm sitting having a quiet cup of tea then I will go and pull it down. s***!!

Oh yes, Thanks Jeff.
Finksies

PostPosted: February 15, 2009, 10:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Cafe Racer project in Australia

Wow just found this thread. Really nice work. What kinda welder are u using? Did u build ur english wheel frame and just buy the dies? Very cool.
ABSINTHE

PostPosted: February 19, 2009, 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Cafe Racer project in Australia

looking good hope your foot will be ok i havet been on iv been on holidays
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: February 19, 2009, 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Cafe Racer project in Australia

Razar;
I really like the craftmanship you are putting into your project. The seat looks great, and that tank will be a thing of beauty. The finished bike will be a real eye catcher.
Photo Gallery
Razar

PostPosted: February 19, 2009, 10:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Cafe Racer project in Australia

Thanks for the feedback.

y welder is an Allmax 200P AC/DA Tig and stick. A better quality cheap Chinese inverter number. Bought off Ebay.

I've been doing the engine assembly 3 step. 2 steps forward 1 step back etc. I fixed my problem from the previous post. Put the pistons on and the barrel to discover that the cam chain didn't go through the tensioner like it should. I should add here that I joined the chain prior to assembly as I read somewhere that you can slip the cam into it then put on the cam bearings making the whole thing of joining the chain easier. Well I forgot to break open the tensioner mount a feed the chain through it. More profanity followed. So off with the barrels and tensioner etc do the job , back together. The barrels move, oops forgot a dowel at the base. Fortunately I just had to raise the barrels up and unscrew the stud and slip it into place. Easy fix.

I'm presently porting the head.

From here on in in this post It will mostly be assembly as most of the bits and pieces are done. I'll list the mods etc as I go along, and post fairly detailed pics.

Pic 1

Frame. Powder coated satin black. All unnecessary stuff has been cut off. Footpeg mounts, center stand batterybox and air cleaner tabs etc, Tank rubber locators.
roller bearings in steering head. Bronze bushes in swingarm and new spindle and sleeve. Cheap shocks (which will be replaced with good ones when bike is finished)

pc frame 002 resize.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  238.23 KB
 Viewed:  316 Time(s)

pc frame 002 resize.jpg

Barbara

PostPosted: February 19, 2009, 11:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Cafe Racer project in Australia

Everything is really impressive, but that tank....that big old tank sitting above the engine, with those Dunstall-patterned pipes looks SO MUCH like a production-racing Norton 650SS that I just drool!

Love that tank!

Gemini the BSA
Baby B. the BSA
Big John the BSA
The unnamed Triumph T-140
and the 1979 XS650....with "potential"
illie the 1980 airhead BMW
Photo Gallery
Razar

PostPosted: February 21, 2009, 12:18 am    Post subject: Re: Cafe Racer project in Australia

Hi,
I see that I have been censored for using an old english word. For those who feel the need to be squeemish about such things, I'll refrain from using that particular discriptive. If any other words that I use are deemed to be offensive please let me know, I'd hate to ruffle the sensitivities of such refined people. Wink

Okay. The rear wheel is on. I've replaced the bearings and seals, new brake shoes. Rechromed the brake lever and adjusters and polished the adjuster blocks and used SS fittings where possible. I've converted to 520 sprockets and chain to save weight (alot).

rear wheel resize 1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  228.44 KB
 Viewed:  288 Time(s)

rear wheel resize 1.jpg

adjusters resize.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  89.86 KB
 Viewed:  271 Time(s)

adjusters resize.jpg

rear wheel old resize 1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  226.56 KB
 Viewed:  282 Time(s)

rear wheel old resize 1.jpg

Razar

PostPosted: February 21, 2009, 12:23 am    Post subject: Re: Cafe Racer project in Australia

And one more.

rear wheel resize 3.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  196.7 KB
 Viewed:  316 Time(s)

rear wheel resize 3.jpg

Razar

PostPosted: February 22, 2009, 4:01 am    Post subject: Re: Cafe Racer project in Australia

RIPPIN INTO IT!!

Lapped the valves and fitted them.Placed the head on the barrels.

I'm also stripping down the front end for another polish and final assembly.

The photo's are ; clipons from a FZR 250 headlight mounts stainless steel I made.

Front guard polished aluminium also made by me.

The engine so far

clipons and hl mounts resize.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  144.86 KB
 Viewed:  295 Time(s)

clipons and hl mounts resize.jpg

front guard resize.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  68.18 KB
 Viewed:  269 Time(s)

front guard resize.jpg

engine resize 1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  101.82 KB
 Viewed:  272 Time(s)

engine resize 1.jpg

Last edited by Razar on March 2, 2009, 10:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
yamaman
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: February 22, 2009, 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: Cafe Racer project in Australia

Thats going to be a fine motorcycle one day very soon!
Hope your foots getting better & you got the # of that truck!
Cheers

cretin75xs650

PostPosted: February 23, 2009, 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: Cafe Racer project in Australia

Nice build Razar, I've been watching your build on the Ton...Keep the pics coming.
Razar

PostPosted: February 26, 2009, 1:08 am    Post subject: Re: Cafe Racer project in Australia

Thanks guy's and the foot is almost back to normal.

I've been finishing off the motor, doing little things like polishing the dip stick cap etc. The front end is back on the frame to about the same stage as earlier pics. I have to clean up my master cylinder before I finish the brakes. Just about ready to put the engine back in the frame.

I thought that some of you maybe interested in these. My lower tripple has no lips for gaters so I made these up to clamp on the stancheons. I call them Gator Lips.

gator lips resize.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  162.77 KB
 Viewed:  291 Time(s)

gator lips resize.jpg

TeeCat

PostPosted: February 26, 2009, 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: Cafe Racer project in Australia

Man... WHERE did you get your skills??!! Are you just flying by the seat of your pants, or do you have a mechanical background?

VERY nice!

TC
Photo Gallery
Razar

PostPosted: February 26, 2009, 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Cafe Racer project in Australia

Thanks Tee Cat.
I'm self taught on all this. Most of these bits and pieces are my first attempt. It's the first bike I've worked on. Mind you, I'm 53 and I've been building and making stuff all my life, so I guess it all sort of adds up to a basic ability. I think the main thing though is that I'm not scared to have a go.

The photo above is garbage. Here's another one

gator lips 2 resize.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  108.68 KB
 Viewed:  284 Time(s)

gator lips 2 resize.jpg

Razar

PostPosted: February 28, 2009, 4:04 am    Post subject: Re: Cafe Racer project in Australia

Big day!!

Looks like the Aussies are getting their act together in the Cricket at last.
Hey you Americans, you want real football? Check out AFL if you can get it. It starts again soon, watch a Collingwood (My team,Brilliant but sadly flawed Crying or Very sad ) or Geelong (the best team) play. Not boring ping pong like soccer or a bunch of guys standing around scratching their butts then running into each other and falling down. Like Rugby and Gridiron. It's fast, takes skill, stamina and courage. There is enough scoring to make it interesting, but not too much to make it tedious like basket ball.

Now that I've probably alienated most you with my enthusiasm for the upcoming football season, I guess I'd better get back on program.

The ENGINE IS IN!!

engine in resize 2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  210.16 KB
 Viewed:  304 Time(s)

engine in resize 2.jpg

engine in resize 1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  155.6 KB
 Viewed:  284 Time(s)

engine in resize 1.jpg

Forum Index -> Cafe Racer All times are GMT - 5 Hours