650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Welcome > > Introduce yourself to the community here > > Ohio n00b.

Ohio n00b.
    Forum Index -> Introduce yourself to the community here
GaugedFreak

PostPosted: June 27, 2008, 12:40 pm    Post subject: Ohio n00b.

Hey everyone, I'm new to 650rider.com. I've been lurking for a week or so. I'm about to pickup my project XS650 this weekend. It's a 1978 XS650 basket case. Then I'll be picking up a titled '82 frame for it in a couple of weeks, from a member here by the name of nj1639. Very Happy

I'm really anxious to start this project. I'll post pics as soon as I pickup the '78 Sunday. I'm sure I'll be asking a lot of questions along the way. This is my first XS. Very Happy
GaugedFreak

PostPosted: June 28, 2008, 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: Ohio n00b.

Wow, friendly bunch. Welcome to me. lol
xsjohn

PostPosted: June 28, 2008, 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: Ohio n00b.

Now that you have been welcomed I will double welcome you......sounds like a good project......did you get all the good wheels and disk brakes from the 82.......and did you get wet there in Ohio....?

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
GaugedFreak

PostPosted: June 28, 2008, 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Ohio n00b.

The '82 will just be the frame and swing arm. As soon as I figure out what I want to do about the wheels I' may look into aquiring different brakes. The '78 is a basket case with rolling chassis. I'll know more about it tomorrow when I pick it up.

Whats the difference of the breaks on the '82 compared to the '78? I thought the '82 had wire wheels with a rear drum and the '78 had mags with rear disk? I do like the wire wheels better, but what makes the brakes better?

I'm trying to learn about these xs650s.

It's always raining in Ohio. I chance it and ride most of the days anyway though. My daily rider is a VStrom 650. It's a great commuter.
drifter
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: June 28, 2008, 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Ohio n00b.

Disk brakes are always better than drum, since brake fade is reduced so much, but with a disk front like both 78 and 82 a drum rear would be no real problem. Both have 16 inch rear wheels, so it becomes a question of tastes. Do you like wire better, and do you think the disk looks better than the drum.

Dave

"Never mind the track. The track is for punks. We are Road People. We are Cafe Racers." Hunter S. Thompson
Photo Gallery
drifter
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: June 28, 2008, 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Ohio n00b.

Disk brakes are always better than drum, since brake fade is reduced so much, but with a disk front like both 78 and 82 a drum rear would be no real problem. Both have 16 inch rear wheels, so it becomes a question of tastes. Do you like wire better, and do you think the disk looks better than the drum.

Dave

"Never mind the track. The track is for punks. We are Road People. We are Cafe Racers." Hunter S. Thompson
Photo Gallery
GaugedFreak

PostPosted: June 28, 2008, 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Ohio n00b.

Ah, thanks drifter. I didn't think there were any brake differences other then the rear drum/disk thing, but I wasn't sure if they upgraded the front calipers after '78.

y first task will be to get the XS running. I'd like to build a brat style bike. I'll probably pick up some Rebel 250 shocks to lower the rear end, and some drag style or flipped CR style bars.
Cooltouch

PostPosted: June 28, 2008, 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Ohio n00b.

Hey GaugedFreak,

Welcome to the forum!

You'll be picking this stuff up as you learn more about XS650s, but just so's you know, there are basically two styles of these bikes: the one commonly referred to as the "standard," or sometimes the "roadster," and the Special. Sounds like you have a '78SE, aka a Special, since you mention cast wheels and a rear disk. Yamaha also made a 78 standard, which had the spoke wheels and the rear drum. 1980 was the last year of the rear disk. 1981 was the only year with cast wheels and a rear drum. Subsequent years had spoked wheels and rear drums.

Given that you have an '82 frame and swingarm only, almost everything will interchange. There are slight differences between the early and later Specials. The differences that I can think of offhand are the sidecovers and the seat. The early and late frames have different attachment points for the sidecovers and the seats. The 78 Special's seat is hinged, same as the standards, whereas the 82's lifts off. The 78 Special's side covers attach the same as the standards, which is a different method from the later Specials, like the '82. You'll see this when you have them side by side.

So, given that you're using the 82 frame, if you want to run a stock seat, you'll need one from '80 (I think) or later. Ditto the sidecovers.

Good luck on your project!

Best,

ichael

'81SH, '80SG, '78E, '77D
GaugedFreak

PostPosted: June 28, 2008, 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Ohio n00b.

Thanks for the info Michael. I'm not sure which model the '78, I didn't realize there were different models. I'm getting the '78 for $100 so at this point, I haven't asked a lot of questions about it either or have seen pictures for that matter. He just said it appears that all of the parts are there, the motor turns over when you kick it, and it has good compression. So I figured for the price, it doesn't matter to me much. Worse case, I could probably make my money back or more selling parts if need be and look for another XS in better shape. Tomorrow, I will know for sure.

Thanks for more informative info, I do appreciate it.
Cooltouch

PostPosted: June 28, 2008, 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Ohio n00b.

Hey GaugedFreak,

If that bike's a standard, consider yourself fortunate. The late-model standards ('77 thru '79) are probably the most desirable XS650s next to the very earliest models, which have become quite collectible. The late standards are considered by many to be the best handling and performing of all the XS650s. Because of all this, I would implore you to resist chopping (or otherwise permanently altering) the bike. It's worth more stock than chopped.

If it's a Special, it's still a darned good bike, and a great candidate for restoration as well as a host of other sorts of mods. A Special would be a natural for the brat bike look you're after, since it already has a fatter rear tire and lowered rear end compared to the standards.

Let us know what you get. Pics would be nice.

Best,

ichael

'81SH, '80SG, '78E, '77D
drifter
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: June 28, 2008, 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Ohio n00b.

Cooltouch, if the 78 he's looking into has the cast wheels, like he said, it is definatley a Special. And, for what its worth, I don't think the Specials handle worse than the Standards. Both handle well, and the Special might handle a bit diffenretly, but it doesn't handle badly at all. I can carve a corner with any Standard and with most of the sport guys in the area. The only real difference I can notice is a slightly lower ground clearance on the Special. I hear lots about the Specials not cornering well, but I ignore it and continue to believe in the bike for what it is. It handles better than a Maxim, Vulcan, any Harley, and as well as a Triumph Daytona and Trophy (mid 60s) that I owned.
So much is said about thee handling of the Special, and I think that it might tend to frighten potential buyers, especiallyy new riders.

Dave

Photo Gallery
Cooltouch

PostPosted: June 28, 2008, 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Ohio n00b.

Hey Dave,

I don't wish to speak for GaugedFreak, but is appears he doesn't yet know if it's a standard or a Special. Hence my comments.

I'm with you on the handling issue. The only XS I have running at the moment is my '81 Special, and I find it handles very well, even with a POS Kenda on the rear. Every time I come home after riding that thing, I have to wipe a silly smile off my face, cuz it's just plain fun to ride.

I own a couple of standards, one being my cafe project, but neither of which have run since I bought them. I have not yet had the pleasure of riding a standard -- but someday soon I will once my cafe is done.

Regarding handling differences between the two types, I was passing along information that I've read from a number of other sources in which owners had experience with both examples, and almost to a man (or woman), stated that the Standard's handling had the edge. It makes sense. It has a narrower rear tire and more upright rear shocks. A 110 or 120-18 will provide better handling in the turns than a 130-16, all else being equal, and the taller rear end provides better weight transfer to the front. A complaint I've read often about the Specials, and with which I can agree is that they have the COG located too far rearward.

I personally would like it better if my Special's COG wasn't located as far rearward as it is, cuz even though it handles well in the turns, it does feel as if it squats some when leaning it over. That big hump in my '81's seat is also functional, in that it keeps my butt from sliding off when accelerating, which it is wont to do. I've never encountered this on either of my Beemers, which have bench seats and accelerate at least as fast as my XS does, and I attribute this tendency to the XS's factory-lowered rear.

Best,

ichael

'81SH, '80SG, '78E, '77D
GaugedFreak

PostPosted: June 29, 2008, 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: Ohio n00b.

Well, it is a standard. The Vin starts with "2F0" so I guess thats the standard. Unfortunately I don't have many options on whether to chop it or not, since it's already been cut. It's going to take a little work, but it's not as bad as I was expecting for $100. Apparently the original owner was riding it back and forth to work, and one day the bike just wouldn't start. So the original owner just let it sit. The original owner gave it to his brother who started to bob it, then ran into money problems. The brother then sold it to the guy I bought it from for $200. He was going to fix it, but never got around to doing much with it either. He had 5 motorcycles in his garage and needed to make a little room, so opted to get rid of it.

img_1987.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  131.42 KB
 Viewed:  73 Time(s)

img_1987.jpg

img_1986.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  120.3 KB
 Viewed:  66 Time(s)

img_1986.jpg

img_1985.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  217.29 KB
 Viewed:  83 Time(s)

img_1985.jpg

pumps
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

Location: Kansas City, Missouri, U.S.A.- 1977 XS650 "D" Standard

PostPosted: June 29, 2008, 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Ohio n00b.

Hey looks like a project! Welcome to the forum.!

My Bikes
Photo Gallery
drifter
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: June 29, 2008, 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Ohio n00b.

If you decide to part with the exhaust on the 78 let me know! I'd really like a set of those long mufflers.

Dave

Photo Gallery
GaugedFreak

PostPosted: June 29, 2008, 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Ohio n00b.

Drifter, I'll definitely let you know if/when I do..

I was playing with some parts I had laying in the garage. Some flipped motocross bars, installed some homemade hardtail struts that came with the bike, and a schwinn mtn bike seat ( Laughing for effect.)

img_1992.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  116.77 KB

img_1992.jpg

img_1991.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  104.38 KB

img_1991.jpg

img_1990.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  100.14 KB
 Viewed:  67 Time(s)

img_1990.jpg

raftercliff
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: June 29, 2008, 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Ohio n00b.

It looks like you are set to have some fun! Welcome!

78 XS650SE
Photo Gallery
Cooltouch

PostPosted: June 30, 2008, 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Ohio n00b.

Wow, you got a set of hardbags with it! Got the mounts? Wanna sell them? Smile On second thought, they probably wouldn't fit my Special. Dang.

y 78E had exactly the same thing done to its frame. This is a common mod that street tracker builders do, I guess so the tracker-style seat will fit. Fortunately for me, I got the cut-off frame loop from the previous owner, and welded it back on. But he had hacked off all the attachments for the seat, so I was not able to consider going back with a stock seat or -- what I really wanted -- MikesXS's cafe seat.

If the PO included the cutoff frame loop, I'd consider welding it back on, or at least keeping it in case you ever want to put it back to stock configuration.

Best,

ichael

'81SH, '80SG, '78E, '77D
GaugedFreak

PostPosted: June 30, 2008, 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Ohio n00b.

I would definitely sell the bags, although they need some work too. I don't have the keys and I think one of the latches is broken on them.

When I get the other frame I'll probably end up welding a Hardtail section on the new frame. I may already have a Sportster tank coming for it as well. Once I figure out what parts I'll be keeping and getting rid of I'll make a post of what's for sale. If you see something you like let me know. Chances are if it's on the bike in the last pic, it's staying on the bike with the exception of the fuel tank, if I can get a new one.. The schwinn seat and head light brackets are coming off also. lol

Forum Index -> Introduce yourself to the community here All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1