650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Engine > > popped testicle???

popped testicle???
    Forum Index -> Engine
delirious

PostPosted: June 22, 2008, 12:26 pm    Post subject: popped testicle???

ok ok...do i need steroids to take out the oil plugs on the bottom of my `80 Special? Holy f****, even with about 2 feet of ratchet they dont budge, even tried a long ride to get the cases hot hopefully expanding the hole they are in. NOPE NADDA!!! and not enough room under the bike for my air-impact n a socket. Any tips that can be shared>?
Photo Gallery
BigGeorge

PostPosted: June 22, 2008, 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: popped testicle???

I put a piece of 4' pipe over my 2' breaker bar and they finally broke loose. Better if you have someone sitting on the bike to keep from pulling it over on yourself.............

PostPosted: June 22, 2008, 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: popped testicle???

I just changed the oil on mine and yes, they were a pain in the rear to bust loose. I had a buddy hold the bike and used a breaker bar with a two foot cheater to get it done. They always seem to get tight as hell, i guess that's better than coming loose.
Photo Gallery
xsjohn

PostPosted: June 22, 2008, 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: popped testicle???

Wish that was only one of my testicles.......my supposed friends took my 18 year old son out and had him tattooed..........after numerous verbal threats and some time in jail I am out ..........welcome to the scum America as I see it.......now..........don't dick with me for a while.........and screw all low lifes....please.......xsjohn
Photo Gallery
delirious

PostPosted: June 22, 2008, 10:48 pm    Post subject: Re: popped testicle???

ahhh yes....the "buddy" system....another attempt tomorrow...thnx
Photo Gallery
delirious

PostPosted: June 23, 2008, 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: popped testicle???

whew, me sitting on the bike and two guys yoinking on a ratchet with a 2 foot cheater bar....HOLY F****!!!!!
Photo Gallery
jimmythetrucker

PostPosted: June 23, 2008, 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: popped testicle???

Those plugs are engineered to vibrate TIGHT over time rather than vibrating LOOSE. Cheater pipes, etc., become necessary because wrenchers (seeking to prevent a leak) over-tighten the plugs when, after draining the oil, they screw the plugs back in place. Wrist tight with a half-inch drive ratchet is plenty. More than that sends you looking for a cheater pipe 2,000 miles later.
5twins

PostPosted: June 23, 2008, 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: popped testicle???

Use new sealing washers. That's the main reason they are so tight on these old bikes when you get them. P.O.s (don't you just love them?) tighten the piss out of them with old bad seal washers (or none at all) to try and stop them from leaking. You can reuse a new sealing washer several times but once it gets all flattened out, it's time to replace it. I always tack a couple on my MikesXS order so I always have some on hand.
tacoswild

PostPosted: June 23, 2008, 9:37 pm    Post subject: Re: popped testicle???

sealing washer huh? gotta try that. I don't think I over tighten mine but I still always need the breaker + pipe combo to get it open.
tracker79

PostPosted: June 24, 2008, 4:27 am    Post subject: Re: popped testicle???

What size are those bolts anyway? My metric set only goes to 21, I've always used a 1 1/16- 6 point to get'em off, seems to fit good though.
Photo Gallery
jimmythetrucker

PostPosted: June 24, 2008, 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: popped testicle???

The drain plugs on my '81 model are 27mm.
delirious

PostPosted: June 24, 2008, 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: popped testicle???

mine had no copper washers, nor could i get any in the area @%&#@*&$% so it`ll be the breaker bar in the fall again...but will have the washers then. anyone have any luck with anti-sieze? or is it they`re just really effin tight?
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> Engine All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1