650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Custom Work: Chop, Bob, Cafe and Flattracker - Streettracker > > Cafe Racer > > cafe seat

cafe seat
    Forum Index -> Cafe Racer
snapcasezx3

PostPosted: June 17, 2008, 9:38 pm    Post subject: cafe seat

My local metric shop/store has several glass cafe seat pans. I know nothing about glass, so how hard would it be to mount this to my bike, keeping to the stock hardware? Would I have to buy another seat to glean the mounting hardware from?
Cooltouch

PostPosted: June 18, 2008, 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: cafe seat

Before you go to the trouble, you might want to check out the new cafe seat that MikesXS has.

ost folks who adapt a fiberglass seat end up welding a flat crossbrace across the top of the frame, and bolt the seat down there. I bought a glass seat for my cafe project, and that's likely what I'll do.

Best,

ichael

'81SH, '80SG, '78E, '77D
snapcasezx3

PostPosted: June 18, 2008, 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: cafe seat

that seat is not for an 80 special
Cooltouch

PostPosted: June 20, 2008, 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: cafe seat

Dunno why he isn't offering them for the Specials, too. While it may be true that the standards lend themselves easier to the cafe "look," there are quite a few nice cafes I've seen that began their lives as Specials.

Best,

ichael

'81SH, '80SG, '78E, '77D
dpmphoto

PostPosted: June 20, 2008, 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: cafe seat

How much difference is there really between the special and standard, I have a 78 special and its almost identical to my 77 standard,did they change the special frame after 78???? no need to worry anyway thats what the word modify is for
Joseph

PostPosted: June 20, 2008, 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: cafe seat

dont think it is so much special to roadster that is diferent more of pre 80 to 80. In 80 mounting the seat differs, difernt latch does anyone know is the frame difernt from 79-80 or is it just the mounting hardware. 80 seats come totaly off (no hnge)
Photo Gallery
Cooltouch

PostPosted: June 20, 2008, 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: cafe seat

There are differences between Special and standard frames. There are differences between early standard frames and 74 and later standard frames (the 74+ frames are more robust, giving better handling, but heavier). There are differences between early Special frames and later Special frames. All Specials have rear shock mounts located farther forward than standards, giving the shocks more of a slant and lowering the rear ride height. Earlier Specials (I believe both 78 and 79, but not 80) have seat and side cover mounts that are the same as the standards. 80 and later Specials have the push-on sidecovers and the lift-off seats.

Best,

ichael

'81SH, '80SG, '78E, '77D

Forum Index -> Cafe Racer All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1