650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Custom Work: Chop, Bob, Cafe and Flattracker - Streettracker > > Did you say Bob? No I said Bobber! > > The Things Ive Learned

The Things Ive Learned
    Forum Index -> Did you say Bob? No I said Bobber!
electronicx

PostPosted: May 14, 2008, 9:22 pm    Post subject: The Things Ive Learned

For those of you like me, Newbies, heres the things I have learned in in doing my project.

- You can build it in your garage.
- Its fun! And your friends will be jealous.
- You don't need many special tools until you start ripping apart the motor.
- A basic welder will work for the little things.
(mine was free - flux core type)
- A good welder is REQUIRED for frame work (Thanks Dad!)
- An XS650 frame will fit in the back of a Volkswagen Golf.
(only way I had to get it to my dads house)
- Harbor Freight's tools work great and will save you money.
- Spraying primer is easy.
- Spraying the paint is a little harder. Quite a bit thiner and runs easy!
- Runs can be fixed (it was my first time spraying paint)
- Aluminum polishes nicely.
- The XS650 is a great bike for any project!
(Thanks to the people who keep it alive)

So if you are like me and want something you can be really proud to say you built it yourself....... DO IT!
Photo Gallery
Retiredgentleman
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 14, 2008, 10:36 pm    Post subject: Re: The Things Ive Learned

For anyone that enjoys mechanical and electrical devices, especially younger people, these bikes are a real opportunity to learn new skills. Anybody can buy a new bike and drive it but they won't go through the frustrations of trouble-shooting an old XS650. In the end you come out with a running bike and lots of satisfaction.
royfisk

PostPosted: May 14, 2008, 10:53 pm    Post subject: Re: The Things Ive Learned

electronicx
welcome to the way motorcycling use to be. Back in the pre 1975 era a biker had to be somewhat a mechanic in order to stay riding. these particular bikes were among the easier to maintain. Now a days most riders dont touch there rides mechanically. Cosmetically yes, mechanically no and here is the credit card. Old school bikers is what the credit card crowd call us. We build what we ride, they throw out the plastic.

electronicx

PostPosted: May 15, 2008, 12:01 am    Post subject: Re: The Things Ive Learned

royfisk wrote:
electronicx
welcome to the way motorcycling use to be. Back in the pre 1975 era a biker had to be somewhat a mechanic in order to stay riding. these particular bikes were among the easier to maintain. Now a days most riders dont touch there rides mechanically. Cosmetically yes, mechanically no and here is the credit card. Old school bikers is what the credit card crowd call us. We build what we ride, they throw out the plastic.

I agree. And just because you can bolt on new mirrors and factory made shiny parts doesn't make your bike that different. Although I also have a Road Star Warrior. But I do all the work myself, Its payed for, and the custom graphics I airbrushed. Had a friend do the base and clear though. And in my defense, I started out when I was 10 on mopeds... I mean ... motorcycles with pedals Wink If you let the mopeds we had sit for a week you would have to fix it before you could ride them again. then after you rode it for a while you would have to fix it again. The carbs always needed adjusting and parts were always falling off from riding on 4 wheeler trails. My first road bike was a Honda Ascot VT500 which I also had to fix before I could ride. It sat in the shed for too many years and was a theft recovery. That bike still runs but needs a new tank due to major internal rust. But like you say, you learn how to stay riding and save money when your bike is a bit less new. And the best part is when you go places and people look at it and say "Where can I get a bike like that?" But like you said "The way it used to be." In my opinion American Chopper does not make choppers. And anyone can try to ride a bike they just bought. It doesn't make you a biker. A real biker is a different breed. Just go to a show, a race, or anywhere bikers hang out. We all know our kind. In a few short weeks my chopper should be done and Ill post up some more pictures of another XS saved from the scrap yard.
Photo Gallery
pumps
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

Location: Kansas City, Missouri, U.S.A.- 1977 XS650 "D" Standard

PostPosted: May 15, 2008, 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: The Things Ive Learned

Personally I like a bike that is mostly stock although I do see a lot of kick ass customs and have a great respect for the sweat guys put into them. My favorite part is when someone asks what year it is and you tell them and they say A 1977? REALLY? WOW! Or you get the thumbs up at an intersection and guys come up to you and say how they used to have one many years ago.

My Bikes
Photo Gallery
KYLEPRESTON
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 15, 2008, 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: The Things Ive Learned

I have had my fair share of issues and lord knows I have made mistakes and asked million and one questions in the making but. I would do it again in a second. I also love the fact the my 73 is an antique that makes me and old crusty bastard.
Photo Gallery
Retiredgentleman
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 15, 2008, 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: The Things Ive Learned

Kyle, you've got the best looking picture on the side of your posts. If thats your wife/girlfriend you're a lucky man Smile

Forum Index -> Did you say Bob? No I said Bobber! All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1