650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Drive > > Tubeless Question...

Tubeless Question...
    Forum Index -> Drive
azuqui

PostPosted: March 30, 2008, 4:12 pm    Post subject: Tubeless Question...

Hey floks, I got a 81 650H with spokes, I'm in the process of swapping them out for the cast wheels. I found a rear (drum brake) in great shape. I had a buddy of mine who owns a shop, give a 77 front mag, also in decent shape. The old tire on it said tubeless, when I removed the tire, it had a tube in it. Then I read here that the mag itself will have it stamped on it. My rear one does, my freebie front doesn't. Here's my question, although the lips on the rims look the same, can I run a tubeless on that front rim, or do you guys think it won't work?... any info would help. Thanking You in Advance, Carlos from Miami.
xsjohn

PostPosted: March 30, 2008, 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Tubeless Question...

My 80 doesn't have tubless stamped on the mags but the 80 Yamaha manual says tubless...never had a tube on either end....I ain't dead.......guess thats the real test......especially on the front.......if in doubt run a tube.....hard to get un-dead......

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
azuqui

PostPosted: March 30, 2008, 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Tubeless Question...

Hey John, thanks for the quick reply. I've looked at the Yamaha part numbers on the different rims, they're almost identical. They look the same. The more I think about it, the more I'm leaning to running a tubeless. Thanks John.
xsjohn

PostPosted: March 30, 2008, 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Tubeless Question...

Guess the only way to tell if it was designed for a tubless woud be to measure the one that you know is for tubless and yours......think the tubless one would be slightly tighter where the tire fits........if you aren't sure run a tube....I had one front blow out yeas ago on a different bike and let me tell ya it ain't fun....and it could happen when you have the most load on it like a hard turn or full breaking......or even worse high speed...could get real dark if you are wrong......what's a tube 10 bucks maybe.....anyway this is a scary subject and guessing may not be a good idea.......did 77's come with mags......?????

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: March 30, 2008, 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Tubeless Question...

Tire rims
In the past the development of tire and rim technology has led to various rim constructions. Over the years with the application of both theory and experience two basic rim systems have been developed, one for tubeless tires and the other for tubetype tires.

For tires which use an inner-tube, that is tubetype tyres, the WM rim is used (fig 1).

Next, the MT rim (without illustration) was developed for tubeless tires then the humped MT H2 rim (fig 2). The hump prevents the tire from slipping down to the well due to air loss. ------check the sidewall of the rim look for the use MT type tire on it

fig1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  10.38 KB
 Viewed:  198 Time(s)

fig1.jpg

xsleo

PostPosted: March 30, 2008, 11:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Tubeless Question...

so if the mag wheel i have says 16 x mt 3.00 i can run tubeless ? correct?

'75 XS650B with a 79 dual disc front end, rear disk brake, Chrysler reg, Radio Shack rect, LED tail/ brake and turn signals.
Photo Gallery
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: March 31, 2008, 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: Tubeless Question...

yes if it says MT type rim it's a tubeless, look for a slight bump inside the rim edge channel
pumps
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

Location: Kansas City, Missouri, U.S.A.- 1977 XS650 "D" Standard

PostPosted: March 31, 2008, 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: Tubeless Question...

jayel very informative. Whats "MT" stand for?

My Bikes
Photo Gallery
royfisk

PostPosted: March 31, 2008, 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: Tubeless Question...

Quick tip
If your unsure run a tube. tubeless tires and rims will accept a tube. tube type need to have them. road rash is very painfull and life is to short to try to save the 20 bucks.

jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: March 31, 2008, 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Tubeless Question...

"Whats "MT" stand for?" heck if I know
royfisk

PostPosted: March 31, 2008, 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Tubeless Question...

mutha trucker
azuqui

PostPosted: March 31, 2008, 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Tubeless Question...

Thanks for all the info, including the illustrations (awesome!). I just ordered the tires and a front tube. When in doubt, whip it out!
It's like you guys say, better to be safe than sorry. besides at my age (45) I don't heal as fast as I used to.......LOL Thanks Again, Carlos
Retiredgentleman
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: March 31, 2008, 10:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Tubeless Question...

Its always safer to use a rubber Laughing
xsjohn

PostPosted: March 31, 2008, 10:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Tubeless Question...

If you really think you need the extra protection then you might be heading into the wrong curves.......

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
jetmechmarty

PostPosted: April 1, 2008, 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: Tubeless Question...

In the case of these XS cast rims, they are stamped "suitable for tubeless" if they are so. Do not run without a tube if you can't find the stamp.

A tubeless front wheel should be easy to procure. I believe the tubeless rims started showing up in '79. Any XS front wheel will swap directly to your 650. XS650, XS750, XS850, and XS1100 all ride on the same front wheel. The XS750 and XS850 use smaller brake rotors, so you will need to swab with the one on your front wheel. The XS1100 has the same rotors (the later ones are slotted) as the XS650, but it has two. Just remove the one you aren't using or modify the front brake system to a dual system.

arty (in Georgia)

Forum Index -> Drive All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1