650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Custom Work: Chop, Bob, Cafe and Flattracker - Streettracker > > Cafe Racer > > cafe seat mounting

cafe seat mounting
    Forum Index -> Cafe Racer
Jeffery

PostPosted: February 23, 2008, 9:47 pm    Post subject: cafe seat mounting

I'm getting ready to mount a cafe seat on my frame. I was thinking of cutting out the crossbrace that is just behind where the stock battery is mounted. I would then weld in a flatter crossbrace that would allow for easier mounting of the seat. Anyone ever done this before? What gauge metal did you use?
Jeffery
xs1961
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: February 24, 2008, 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: cafe seat mounting

I did the same thing with my tracker seat , I used 2" x 3/16" flat above th battery & 1" x 3/16" just rear of the shocks (rear-loop removed)
Photo Gallery
Jeffery

PostPosted: March 1, 2008, 12:10 am    Post subject: Re: cafe seat mounting

I've decided to mount a hotwings (roadrace) seat on my bike. You know, what makes mounting this seat a pain is that it is too darn narrow at the rear and it would have made things look and fit a little easier if this seat would have been a little wider at the rear. You either have to cut the loop off real close to the rear shock mounts or have a seat that sets rather high exposing the frame. I personally would rather not see the top frame rails. The frame rails rear of the shock mounts angle slightly upward which don't help getting the seat down low either. I bought the seat thinking it would be wide enough to clear the frame rails and I liked the fact that it had a seat pad and snap-on cover that looks ok. I am cutting the center crossmember out and welding in a piece of 3/16 plate. I am also mounting a small battery up inside the rear bump, leaving the original battery area open.
Todd
Cooltouch

PostPosted: March 1, 2008, 12:45 am    Post subject: Re: cafe seat mounting

Jeffrey,

I've been considering the hotwings bumstop seat for my cafe project, so it's nice to read about the fitment issues you've been having.

y bike's a 78E (standard, not a special), and the previous owner, who was interested in doing a tracker, had already cut the loop off the frame before he lost interest.

I want to be able to fit the seat so the top of the frame is hidden from view. I'm curious, though, why the stock crossbrace is not good for mounting the seat. Too thin? Did you decide to weld in the 3/16" piece for structural reasons, since you're having to cut off the loop, I'm assuming?

Best,

ichael

'81SH, '80SG, '78E, '77D
Jeffery

PostPosted: March 1, 2008, 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: cafe seat mounting

Type in "yamaha choppers and cafe racers" and then go to number 8 in the picture gallery. You can see some really close up pictures of the seat mounting on the bike I stole the idea from. These pictures have helped me greatly. That bike is awesome as most of his work is. I am going to weld in 2 crossbraces. One at front and one at rear on which I will bolt two lengths of 1 inch square tubing front to back of bike to which I will bolt the seat down to. At the rear and on top of the 1 inch tubing at the bump I will fashion a battery box for the small 4x3x3 inch battery I bought. The stock crossbrace is irregular shaped and has a ridge in it and I needed a good flat surface to bolt to and that is why I removed it. I also want to bolt my reg/rec to the crossbrace out of sight. If that seat was just a little wider it would so much easier to mount. I don't believe it was designed to just fit an XS 650. Most of these type seat are designed to fit a number of different makes and models so they don't fit real good. Todd
Cooltouch

PostPosted: March 1, 2008, 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: cafe seat mounting

Todd,

I tried, but I couldn't find it. Not sure where I should type in "yamaha choppers and cafe racers". If I type that into the search panel at the forums, I get a few message threads, including this one. If I type it in at the members photos section, I get some hits. The 8th one is a photo of a hardtail frame, and if I go to the folder it's in, there are just more photos of a hardtail frame. I even went to the member's photos section and looked at every folder for a cafe-looking bike. Didn't find what you describe.

So, how about a member name? I should be able to find it that way.

Best,

ichael

'81SH, '80SG, '78E, '77D
Jeffery

PostPosted: March 1, 2008, 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: cafe seat mounting

Sorry about that Michael. I realize I didn't make myself very clear. Go to google and type that phrase in. (yamaha choppers and cafe racers). I believe he calls himself softaildoc. I don't know if he runs a business but some of his bikes have Doc's Chops written on them. Also, the pictures of the bike I am talking about are in both gallery 8 and 9. The silver bike there has a seat that dosen't hide the frame either and its the only thing about the bike that dosen't appeal to me. Let me know if that works. I have just about decided this morning that I am going to be selling this hotwings seat. Another half an inch wider and I believe it would have fit the bill but it aint going to grow. I got my eye on a couple of others on ebay that might work better at least they will be wide enough to clear the frame. It just a personal thing but I feel the frame should be out of view. Todd
Cooltouch

PostPosted: March 1, 2008, 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: cafe seat mounting

Todd

I've been to his site before. And like you, I've spent a while admiring that silver bike. It's a looker.

rides.webshots.com/alb...n?start=84

I feel the same way you do as well -- I just don't like the look of the exposed frame. The hotwing seat is only 8.75" wide at its widest part, and it has no contour. There's another guy on eBay, whose seats I've just recently noticed, that look as if they will fit the XS650 much better. His eBay ID is cyclesurvival1. Here's a link to one of his road race/cafe seat auctions:

cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotor...enameZWDVW

You'll note the dimensions he lists. They sound much better, eh?

Best,

ichael

'81SH, '80SG, '78E, '77D
Jeffery

PostPosted: March 2, 2008, 2:04 am    Post subject: Re: cafe seat mounting

Yes, I way eyeballing cyclesurvivals seat myself and will probably try one. I have this brand new seat from Hotwings that I won't be using. I didn't have any other issues with it except for frame clearance. I didn't want to hassle with finding someone who could make a seat pad as most other seat comes without one. I don't know if the hotwings seat would fit any better on a special or not. I now have my 3/16 in. flat plate welded in place but no seat to bolt it to.
Todd
Jeffery

PostPosted: March 2, 2008, 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: cafe seat mounting

Say Michael, I found another company last night that I am going to contact that makes these bump seats. The company is Glass From The Past. They sell both upholstered and unupholstered seats. I see 2 possibilities among there offerings that seem wide enough to fit with a lip on the side that should cover the frame. One universal seat part #unibtd dosen't have snaps and although not mentioned that it will fit an XS, the dimentions look good. The other seat #tribtb is advertised as fitting the XS and does have snaps. Seems we will need at least 7 in wide at front and 9.5 in. at rear.
Todd
NateDogg

PostPosted: March 10, 2008, 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: cafe seat mounting

Hey guys, couldn't help but jump in on this as I have struggled with seat choice on my bike. Another cool thread to check out that's cafe specific is www.dotheton.com

There's a lot of cool inspiration there

Also, www.benjiescaferacer.com....he's working on some xs specific cafe parts now...

Forum Index -> Cafe Racer All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1