650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Custom Work: Chop, Bob, Cafe and Flattracker - Streettracker > > Cafe Racer > > Gas Shock Absorbers...

Gas Shock Absorbers...
    Forum Index -> Cafe Racer
Jimio

PostPosted: January 16, 2008, 2:18 pm    Post subject: Gas Shock Absorbers...

I bought a set of gas charged shocks from Mike's XS, 12.6 " long. Part # 06-3721. These are STIFF! If I jump down on my rock hard Omar's seat, I can barely get them to compress. I weigh 180#. 1977 cafe conversion with really not all that much weight removed. My questions are: These have external reservoirs. Can I let gas out? Will that soften them up a little? Will they still dampen properly? The spring hits the chain-can I turn these over?

If I ride this the way it is and hit a good bump, I'll go over the bars....

Here's a picture:
5twins

PostPosted: January 16, 2008, 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas Shock Absorbers...

The springs on pretty much all the MikesXS shocks are reported to be very, very stiff. I guess those orientals think all us Americans are 300+ pounds. I wouldn't mess with the damping until I tried a spring change first. Not much you can do about the chain/spring interference except space the bottom mount of the shock out more. That spring does appear to mount very low. Sure, flip them over and try that. They look upside down now.
xsjohn

PostPosted: January 16, 2008, 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas Shock Absorbers...

Being 140 lbs there has never been a shock spring that was right for me.......years ago I started cutting a bit off the shock spring to reduce the pre load........not hard.......grind and cut off a ring or so and then heat about half way around and benda portion in and then grind flat so the spring stands up straight.......and repaint........put the altered portion down along the dampner.....no one will ever know.......and it won't kick you tail or pocketbook......good for lowering an inch also........

xsjohn
Photo Gallery
grizld1

PostPosted: January 18, 2008, 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas Shock Absorbers...

Jimio, if you want more than cafe cosmetics you need to use 13.25" or 13.5" shocks. Problems with overstiff damping as well as spring rate have been reported with the units you have. Letting off gas isn't a fix; you'd have to change valving, and those shocks aren't worth it. You can get good performance with Hagons or Progressive Series 14's--about $200 a pair with your choice of springs.

John, when you reduce spring length you actually increase working rate proportionally to the amount you cut off.

PostPosted: January 18, 2008, 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas Shock Absorbers...

Griz......you sure can reduce travel.....if the spring tension is set up for double they can have too much preload too....which I think most are....my Koni's were stiff enough for a truck and I wanted the back a tad lower anyway.... kinda try to keep the cornfed girls of the back anyway....years ago I ordered special spring rates and custom dampenig for my skinny ass on my RT1 and they were great but real expensive even for that time........and leaked....grrrrr

John
Photo Gallery
royfisk

PostPosted: January 18, 2008, 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas Shock Absorbers...

uh huh grizz is right all you do when cutting down a spring is increase the working lload of the spring especially on dual rate springs. buy springs for your application. john you would probably want 70 over 40 or there abouts riding solo. With my fat but 140 over 90 works goog
royfisk

PostPosted: January 18, 2008, 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas Shock Absorbers...

flip the shock
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: January 18, 2008, 11:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas Shock Absorbers...

check mikesxs it tell you the eye bolt size for top and bottom of those shocks
orangeguzzi

PostPosted: February 10, 2008, 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas Shock Absorbers...

i to bought these shocks. when i mounte them to my 80 special, the right gas cartridge hit the rear brake line when the shock compressed. to prevent any futher damage, i mounte the cartridge to the front.

also my shocks were stiff when new. after a few days of riding the sticktion seem to go away and offered a better ride.

i to would like to know if the gas pressure can be changed in the shock. i was told by a korean manufacturer that thes are the same shocks that are used on some of the china made 4 wheelers sold at the corner empty lot.
Photo Gallery
grizld1

PostPosted: February 10, 2008, 11:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas Shock Absorbers...

If there's a valve present pressure can be changed, but changing gas pressure in shocks ain't a DIY job and should be done by a shop that's set up for it. You're talking about a very small volume of gas; just the amount released by engaging and releasing a gauge is enough to change pressure significantly. But gas pressure is only one small part of the picture; the rest is valving and springs.

Forum Index -> Cafe Racer All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1