650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Custom Work: Chop, Bob, Cafe and Flattracker - Streettracker > > Did you say Bob? No I said Bobber! > > Aftermarket Spinger Forks

Aftermarket Spinger Forks
    Forum Index -> Did you say Bob? No I said Bobber!
seadog

PostPosted: December 27, 2007, 7:02 am    Post subject: Aftermarket Spinger Forks

I was browsing the site a couple of weeks ago looking for info on spinger forks for my bobber project, I saw a post that directed me to "Outlaw Choppers" on Ebay. The post said that they carried the forks and that the 2 under forks would fit. But now I can't find that post anywhere. I found the Ebay site and they have the forks for a great price-$329. But they are for Harleys with 1" neck bearings and 3/4" axle. How can I make this fit my '81? Are there any other places that carry Springers for an XS?
Toytrk85

PostPosted: December 27, 2007, 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket Spinger Forks

Just pick up a 2" under DNA springer for a harley. It will work on your xs with a little work. If you order it from Outlaw Cycles on ebay I'm pretty sure it comes with the 1" Harley bearings, if you get the springer elsewhere you will need to order a set (or pick up a set of 1" trailer bearings, they are the same but cheaper). You will also need to purchase a set of xs650 tapered bearings (mikesxs.net). And also 3 1"ID/1.5"OD machine bushings as a shim for the bottom of the neck since the lower bearing is recessed on the xs and otherwise the bearing will not sit properly in the lower race.

You will use the xs650 races and the 1" bearings only. You'll be amazed how they match up (A guy on another board realized this and I know I am very grateful). Once the bearings are in you will also need to modify the stem nut and the upper plate. the stem nut needs to be cut/milled in half (you only want to use the threaded end, you'll see what I mean when you receive it). The XS neck is longer than the harley neck and removing this 3/4 of an inch makes up the difference. The upper plate will also need to be widened a bit but I have heard of guys just cutting the dust shield on top so they dont have to mill the top plate.

Dont forget the issues with risers, front wheel, speedo drive unit and a front brake setup before you order. All things need to be considered. If you have any other questions let me know.

Nick
seadog

PostPosted: December 27, 2007, 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket Spinger Forks

Hey thanks for the info Nick- I'll probably have more questions on this as I am a complete rookie at this. My Brother, who a custom Hot Rod builder is helping learn the ropes on this. I'll have him go over this and then send any further questions your way. Ok to PM you?

Thanks again-clarified alot for me
Seadog

Toytrk85

PostPosted: December 28, 2007, 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket Spinger Forks

Yeah man, let me know and feel free to even e-mail me at Toytrk85 at aol dot com. I'm more than happy to pass on any info I have. I tried to post a pic but they were much to large. I have them on my myspace under the same name (you can prob search the email addy and find the page). Let me know

Nick
seadog

PostPosted: March 7, 2008, 3:05 am    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket Spinger Forks

Hey Nick,

I'm FINALLY getting started on this Bobber build- Many delays from weather, budget, work etc. I'll post some pics next week after I start tearing down.

I've been looking at the springers from Outlaw Cycles on ebay. The bearings/races they include aren't the loose bearings that came out of my '81. They are the tapered roller bearings like the ones Mike'sXS sells. Also they are too large to fit inside my neck. (according to the info from OutlawCycles). So here are my questions.

Does the Distance between the top and bottom plate on the springer fit the neck on my '81?

Could the stock shaft be used- (is it long enough?) by enlarging the hole in the bottom plate on the springer and using the tapered bearings from MikesXS?

Thanks for all your help and input.

seadog

calicruiser

PostPosted: March 9, 2008, 3:33 am    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket Spinger Forks

yo seadog, i did them same thing that toy advised you to do above. works like a charm. here is my xs with a 2" under DNA springer front end.

76xs

PostPosted: March 15, 2008, 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket Spinger Forks

Thats a sharp looking bike! Cool How much did you pay for the springer and where can i purchase one. Thanks
calicruiser

PostPosted: March 16, 2008, 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket Spinger Forks

I bought it off ebay. Just search for a 2" under DNA springer front end. THere is some millwork that needs to be done to make it fit. lemme know if you need any more info!

josh
www.freewebs.com/glchoppers
seadog

PostPosted: March 16, 2008, 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket Spinger Forks

Josh, Beautiful bike! Thanks for the info, but can you post a pic of the neck showing the millwork that was done? That would give me clearer picture (sorry no pun intended) of what I'm trying to achieve.

Thanks, Seadog

evol777

PostPosted: March 16, 2008, 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket Spinger Forks

i just purchased a DNA springer... which is the dust shield/cap? - thanks
Photo Gallery
bulldog1980
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: March 16, 2008, 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket Spinger Forks

calicrusier, I love the look of that bike .. I haven't decided if I want to go that route.

PostPosted: March 17, 2008, 2:17 am    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket Spinger Forks

Josh, love the bike! Here's how mine's comin along, gotta finish the front brake, forward controls, and the rear brake/sprocket/spacers, then rewire her.

Nick
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: March 17, 2008, 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket Spinger Forks

I luv XS & (japanese choppers) you can park a small SUV in the space between the back of the motor and the rear wheel, saves garage space lol---- best place to park a chopper? in front of a D-9 Cat
76xs

PostPosted: March 19, 2008, 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket Spinger Forks

Thats a nice bike also Nick. I think i like the black springer better.
calicruiser

PostPosted: March 23, 2008, 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket Spinger Forks

thanks for the comps on the bike. she should be done within the next month. The dust cap is a chrome cap that comes with the springer. I think it is the only thing that looks like a cap. I cut the dust cap so it let the top tree sit down on the neck. I also had to cut down the locking nut in about half to let the top tree sit down properly. that is about it. pretty easy if you have the tools.

yo jayel, you havent seen the old tiumph chops and bobs then cause the same space you are talking about is there;) I am putting a battery in there to fill up that space.
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: March 23, 2008, 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket Spinger Forks

yeah I should have added them also as you might guess I'm not a chopper fan and it's even funnier why people will put a built motor into something that won't handle in the first place a stock motor will give you all you want with that setup but the bike does look well crafted, what ever trips your trigger I guess
LDO107

PostPosted: July 29, 2009, 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket Spinger Forks

calicruiser wrote:
yo seadog, i did them same thing that toy advised you to do above. works like a charm. here is my xs with a 2" under DNA springer front end.

That looks sweet Josh!
Photo Gallery
royfisk

PostPosted: July 29, 2009, 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket Spinger Forks

Gee jayel a d9 cat? what you got against homemade handcrafted motorcycles that you would put it in front of a bull dozer??? There are people out there who dont like big bulky baggers but there not doing that to them.. Me I never met a motorcycle I couldnt find something I like about it. These are nice bikes and I have recently thought about a springer bike too, only not chopper nor bobber style, more like vintage style.
gordonscott

PostPosted: July 30, 2009, 6:25 am    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket Spinger Forks

I,m with you Roy, I can appreciate the hard work people put into these rides even if it’s not my style. Bikes pictured here are coming out great and it does take a LOT of work! Some people don't understand chopper building, for most the reward is in the doing of it, not the finished bike Wink My chopper is on ebay now and some are shocked I'm selling it! It's been sooooooo much fun to own but it's finished, nothing more to do? So I start again..... p.s. looks like I'll be changing my little picture
(avitar?)

blackwidow

PostPosted: August 1, 2009, 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket Spinger Forks

gordonscott wrote:
I,m with you Roy, I can appreciate the hard work people put into these rides even if it’s not my style. Bikes pictured here are coming out great and it does take a LOT of work! Some people don't understand chopper building, for most the reward is in the doing of it, not the finished bike Wink My chopper is on ebay now and some are shocked I'm selling it! It's been sooooooo much fun to own but it's finished, nothing more to do? So I start again..... p.s. looks like I'll be changing my little picture
(avitar?)
I had alot of fun building my bike but I also have more fun riding it the joy of riding down the street in something I wrenched on and around my town people don't know too much and their jaw dropped when they seen me Smile

Forum Index -> Did you say Bob? No I said Bobber! All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1