650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Parts Needed > > Performance Parts > > mikuni round slides vs flat slides

mikuni round slides vs flat slides
    Forum Index -> Performance Parts
BiffTirkle

PostPosted: December 21, 2007, 4:15 pm    Post subject: mikuni round slides vs flat slides

i just read the post ttmaniac posted, and its sparked up again my carb problem/choice.

as i have stated in previous posts i am building a bike. wife just gave birth to our first, so i dont have much time to get the bike together. i will post pics when i can, at the moment its in pieces.

i had decided to get a set of stock carbs, i got a set of '78 on ebay and a couple of kits to rebuild them.

now my debate is do i just keep those for my stock bike of the same year. or do i use them for my bobber. OR do i just go for the gold and upgrade fuel and ignition. ive got time to wait/save and get a nice set. right now im working on rebuilding wheels powder coating rims hubs and everything else. then its time to work on the engine.

so here is my question.

there is essentially a 200 dollar difference in the flat slides and the round slides. and ive already got a set of stock '78 carbs

performance and tuning is what im needing to know. i dont need to "hot rod" the bike, its a bobber/chopper with a suicide shift setup. i just need to get my fuel right with as little headache as possible. i will be using a set of custom pipes too.

any advice or suggestions, or personal experiences would be helpful.

update, heres a really rough pic of the bike. the frame was made by las vegas kurt (who now lives in oregon) as soon as i got the frame i built a workbench and put it together as much as i had at the time. i now have handlebars and well its in pieces waiting for powder coating, i get my oven tomorrow so i can finally start that process.

the top pic is a photo las vegas kurt took and sent me after he was done with the frame. the bottom is when i received the frame and started to assemble it to make sure everything fit the right way.

i should have posted these on the bobber forum..

frames 023.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  135.35 KB
 Viewed:  273 Time(s)

frames 023.jpg

photo_102707_001.jpg
 Description:
rough mock up.
 Filesize:  576.36 KB
 Viewed:  294 Time(s)

photo_102707_001.jpg

Last edited by BiffTirkle on December 21, 2007, 5:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
ttmaniac

PostPosted: December 21, 2007, 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: mikuni round slides vs flat slides

Hey Biff......

Is your stocker a points bike? If so I would leave it alone unless you are no good with points.

As for the carb upgrade.....if you've got working stock carbs you should be fine. If you want to get tech-y and go for bolt on performance get a set of round or flatslide. The price is almost the same for either carb with the flatslide being a couple bucks more. 105-150 bucks each rounds....150-175 each for flats.

Also, I think your bike will be killer when it's done. That frame looks right already. Are you gonna run spokes or mags?
Photo Gallery
BiffTirkle

PostPosted: December 21, 2007, 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: mikuni round slides vs flat slides

yes my stock is a points bike. it runs strong, so i really dont need to upgrade points on that. i am just trying to decide to upgrade from points to the boyer with my bobber, i will be building the harness myself as well. so its all from scratch.

i guess the carbs i rebuilt work. heh, i havent had anything or any time to test them out with. i could take and swap them with my stock bike just to tune them.

this is my debacle bolt on performance is nice, and less work. but i already have a stock set i could just tune up and roll! aaah!!!

and as for the wheels, i had originally wanted mags, las vegas kurt at the last changed the rear brake setup from disc to drum ( i like it better drum now, its much simpler) so then i had to go get a set of spokes, much more appropriate for the style of the bike anyway. as i was taking the wheels apart to respoke them i decided to powder coat the rims and the hubs matte black, and leave the chrome spokes. as much of the bike as i can will be powder coated matte black.

by the way, just as a note for anyone interested, las vegas kurt did a great job for a great price on my frame. i have no welding skills, so he and i spent quite a bit of time on the phone and sending emails and pictures of what i wanted. if anyone is interested pm me and ill give you his email and phone.
BiffTirkle

PostPosted: December 22, 2007, 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: mikuni round slides vs flat slides

well, i think ive decided to get a set of round slides. the bolt on performance sounds fine to me. i dont want to mess much with the carbs. i have too much on my hands as it is.

PostPosted: February 2, 2008, 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: mikuni round slides vs flat slides

Pardon my ignorance, but what does the acronym VM stand for?

I get local help from a longtime mechanic who tells me the stock CV carburetors are best for the street and the carbs on the late 650 may work better that the early 38’s. I get this information based on my street riding and occasional back road blasting.

I’m collecting parts for a future build and I have some old 38 CV carbs. I think I understand how the work, at least basically. I also understand the roundslides function by the throttle cables pulling directly on the buckets. After that, I’m not able to follow.

All this talk about CV’s, roundslides, flatsides, pumpers, and VM’s has me confused, or at least not able to follow the threads. I’d really like to know what is best on a street bike, and why. I’m not going racing on the street and I have an XS1100 that I don’t expect my 650 to be.

As a postscript, my project will be café style and not a chopper.

Peace
arty (in Georgia)

Forum Index -> Performance Parts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1