650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Custom Work: Chop, Bob, Cafe and Flattracker - Streettracker > > Cafe Racer > > Cafe Seat Mounting

Cafe Seat Mounting
    Forum Index -> Cafe Racer
cswanson

PostPosted: October 21, 2007, 3:01 am    Post subject: Cafe Seat Mounting

Anyone have any bring ideas on mounting a cafe seat to a frame. I could probably figure it out but I want to see all your creative ideas and decide which route I want to go with. Thanks!

PostPosted: October 21, 2007, 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Cafe Seat Mounting

I'm debating velcro.
5twins

PostPosted: October 21, 2007, 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: Cafe Seat Mounting

One of the best set-ups I've seen is how this guy did it. He cut down an old stock seat pan so the new seat would fit over it. It still flips up, locks down, does everything just like a stocker .....

xs650temp.proboards29....684&page=3
KYLEPRESTON
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: October 22, 2007, 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: Cafe Seat Mounting

NOW THAT WAS A GOOD IDEA. I JUST WELDED NUTS TO MY FRAME AND I BOLT THE SEAT ON. I NEVER REALLY NEED TO GET UNDER IT.

CHEERS
Photo Gallery
cswanson

PostPosted: October 22, 2007, 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Cafe Seat Mounting

I actually don't have a xs650 anymore. I traded my bobber project for a running cb400f. I'm in the process of making it a really cool cafe racer. My problem is that the stock seat is in too good of shape to destroy for the seat pan. Guess I could find one though, then just bolt the cafe seat onto the pan. I'll take pictures and let everyone know what I did. This is kind of a hard topic to find info on.
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: October 22, 2007, 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Cafe Seat Mounting

if you can find another stock seat pan with good foam. Alll you need is an electric carving knife and a block sander with course paper 60 grit. you can form the foam to what ever shape you like then just have it recovered. I know there are people that sell gel pads. If you get to slim with the profile you can always add a gel pad before you recover it. love the exhust on those cb4oof
Photo Gallery
xs650joe

PostPosted: January 23, 2008, 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Cafe Seat Mounting

This is how I mounted a cafe seat on my rd350. This worked so well I think I'm going to put one on my xs650. When I finish the seat for my 650 I'll post pics of it too.
I used the original RD350 seat hardware to mount it. I started by using a flat piece of aluminum for the seatpan. I used an old street sign. The ones they use in Ohio are made out of 1/16in aluminum or something and are awesome for making stuff out of. ** Disclaimer - don't go out and start stealing these though...it's illegal. **
I then made a frame out of aluminum U-channel using the stock seat brackets and latch. I don't weld (unfortunately) so I drilled and bolted everything together. I've been riding it for a few months with this set-up and it seems to work great. Using the stock mounts make it real easy to access the battery and the oil tank too. Here are a few pics of how it turned out.

If anyone is interested in better/more pictures let me know.

This system works out great because if you need to you can stick the stock seat back on in minutes.

Until next time,
vroooom
Joe
SBRacing

groups.google.com/grou...-ohvinmoto
Photo Gallery
KYLEPRESTON
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: January 24, 2008, 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: Cafe Seat Mounting

WHERE ARE THE PICS?
Photo Gallery