650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Engine > > Cam Chain Guide - How far should I go?

Cam Chain Guide - How far should I go?
    Forum Index -> Engine
cfinn1

PostPosted: September 5, 2007, 8:32 am    Post subject: Cam Chain Guide - How far should I go?

I was in the process of replacing a small spring that had broken on the shifter that was causing the bike to jump out of gear and I notice lots of black debris in the oil filter Sad so.. it looks like I have a cam chain guide replacement in the near future.

Million dollar question is how far should I go while I'm in the process? The bike is an 1981 with 20K miles on it. Bike runs great so I wasn't planning on tearing into it but I guess I'm now forced to.

Just change the chain and the guides?? Rings, valves etc... ???
Photo Gallery
xsjohn

PostPosted: September 5, 2007, 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: Cam Chain Guide - How far should I go?

If it were mine with 20 thou....I would replace the chain and guide and run it.....

Could check endgap on the rings and skirt clearance......would suspect the way you say it runs that I wouldn't even hone it..........Valve seals might be worth the time....they are cheap........hand lap the valves while you are there........

With no noises or other wierd soundsthats the way I would go unsess you see something strange.....

John
Photo Gallery
cfinn1

PostPosted: September 5, 2007, 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: Cam Chain Guide - How far should I go?

Thanks!! This will be new territory for me so it will be an educational experience. Always interesting
Photo Gallery
Joseph

PostPosted: September 5, 2007, 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Cam Chain Guide - How far should I go?

What is valve laping?
Photo Gallery
xsjohn

PostPosted: September 5, 2007, 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Cam Chain Guide - How far should I go?

Hand lapping involves applying lapping compound (an abrasive paste) to the valve face or seat, and then using a suction cup on the end of a short stick to rotate the valve back and forth while slight pressure is applied. This smoothes off any imperfections on both surfaces and results in a near perfect seal.

John
Photo Gallery
5twins

PostPosted: September 5, 2007, 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Cam Chain Guide - How far should I go?

Test the valves first for leaks before you tear them out and lap them. If not leaking, then you don't need to lap them. Turn the head upside down and with some old plugs installed, fill the combustion chambers with some sort of solvent (I use kerosene). Now some guys just peer into the int. and ex. ports and look for any liquid leaking by the valves. This isn't good enough. It will show a really bad leak that way, but not minor ones. You must blow compressed air in the int. and ex. port and watch the edges of the valves for bubbling.

I just did my top end this spring. This compressed air test showed both ex. leaking but both intakes good. No liquid leaked by them just sitting there. I cleaned the ports up so all the valves were coming out anyway. They all had pitting on the seats so they all got lapped. The ex. were pretty bad and I thought I might have to take the head somewhere and have them cut. About 3 lappings cleaned them up, though. Testing afterwards showed all the valves sealing tight as a drum.
xsjohn

PostPosted: September 5, 2007, 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Cam Chain Guide - How far should I go?

Still need to release the springs to change the 25 year old basted seals if you feel the need....might as well just lap them while you are there.....doesn't hurt anything....just an hour or two of your time.....does require valve spring remover....fashioned mind from a long c-clamp.......almost a two man job to get the keepers back in..........with some cussing......well at least then the head is right.......valve seat erosion can hurt things later... especially after finding lean epa settings and unbalanced mixtures that work bad things on the valves and everything else..........been there and done that.......

John
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> Engine All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1