650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Drive > > Hard clutch, thrust washer... Part 12.

Hard clutch, thrust washer... Part 12.
    Forum Index -> Drive
jetflyr

PostPosted: August 31, 2007, 10:25 am    Post subject: Hard clutch, thrust washer... Part 12.

Ok! Good news and a revelation... Messed with my clutch and spacing and she shifts great, even when hot. You can even get the bike into neutral at a stop. So, yesterday, I lube up the cables adjust the clutch and the girlfriend take it out for a ride. About an hour later the clutch lever is back to being really stiff. We stop for dinner and to let the xs cool and afterward it is still stiff. Ride about 20 min home and as soon as I pull in the driveway I relube the cable. Things work perfectly... So everything is narrowed down to the cable. My questions: What is everybody using for lube? My spray can stuff is obviously too affected by the engine heat and "boils" out. AND Does anyone have a good diagram for the clutch cable routing? I know mine is close but I don't know. I'm ordering another new cable because I think this one has been damaged with the previous clutch debacle. Almost there!!!
Thanks all...
grizld1

PostPosted: August 31, 2007, 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: Hard clutch, thrust washer... Part 12.

The commercial cable lube is pretty thin stuff. Try a pressure luber and pump Dupont Teflon and White Lithium Grease into the cable. Lube the perch, pivot and cable end with waterproof marine gease and use the same in the worm gear. A lot of sticktion comes from the position of the perch itself; rotate it until you find the sweet spot. I've drilled the lever and installed a bronze bushing. My cable is routed through the upper fork clamp, then along the right side of the steering head, then under the the tank below the mounting rubber retainers, then along the backbone of the frame, dropping to a point just below the curve of the backbone, then behind the backbone and to the cover.

PostPosted: August 31, 2007, 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: Hard clutch, thrust washer... Part 12.

I've got the grease and the pressure luber. Just have to combine them. Thanks. I'm pretty sure I don't have any binding at the perch. I already did the sweet spot thing and it definitely improved things.

Forum Index -> Drive All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1