650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Custom Work: Chop, Bob, Cafe and Flattracker - Streettracker > > Cafe Racer > > Cafe' seat for a Special?

Cafe' seat for a Special?
    Forum Index -> Cafe Racer
scotts

PostPosted: August 23, 2007, 2:34 pm    Post subject: Cafe' seat for a Special?

Yes, another cafe' seat question from me...gotta get my post count up somehow! Wink
In my search for cafe' seats, some of the beststyles I've found are "not for Specials" and made to fit the '79 and earlier bikes.
I know you can MAKE anything work, but.....
I'm told that the frame on the earlier bikes is flat and it rakes upward on the Specials.
Who has a cafe' seat mounted on a Special? Please show/tell me how you did it.
I'm sure I could order something and get to hacking, but I'd much rather learn from someone elses mistakes if possible.
Thanks!
Photo Gallery
2wheelsmotorcycle

PostPosted: September 12, 2007, 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: Cafe' seat for a Special?

I have a 1980 special with the stock seat.I covered the rear(passenger area)with a piece of plastic,red in colour,same colour as the bike.The plastic cowling,we will call it,has black plastic moulding around it.It looks much like the style you would see on a crotch rocket.....looks professional and makes the seat look like a cafe' seat.I just glued the piece right on to the existing seat(hope I never have to take it off)
scotts

PostPosted: September 17, 2007, 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Cafe' seat for a Special?

I just placed an order today for one of Omars narrow cafe fenders/seat for my '83.
After emailing Phil and talking to him in person, it should be a "near" bolt on. His seat is much more expensive than most, but it's designed FOR the XS650 and utilizes some stock mounting points AND it comes with the seat pad; most do not, which adds cost to the "cheaper" seats.
I'll take some pics and let you know how it looks when I get it, but I don't plan on doing the full conversion until this Winter....wanna ride it while I can!
Photo Gallery
TonUpSoldier

PostPosted: September 17, 2007, 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Cafe' seat for a Special?

While its tougher to convert the Specials into the standard cafe horse type stance, it can be done. I've yet to do it myself but i have an 82 400 Special ill be attempting it on soon. The rake on those seems more to be to the front side of the frame and not so much on the seat hoop area. On top of that, generally you'd cut the seat hoop short anyway (usually just after the bolt tab area for the shocks) so the rise would be decreased anyway. Air-tech streamlining has an excellant assortment of cafe style seats, both in box (ala Kaw's H2 style) and bubble (the most common style that everyone seems familiar with) They are fiberglass and ready for paint and pads, if you chose to have a arse pad, but work great without and arent as uncomfortable as you think. Omars is good too, and they even have rearsets for just about any bike if you want to go to that extreme on your cafe. As for me, my biggest challenge now is to learn how to pound out those sweet knee indents into a tank....i'm scared...hahah anyone have suggestions??
Kablazzie

PostPosted: September 18, 2007, 12:09 am    Post subject: Re: Cafe' seat for a Special?

Baseball bat? Wood body hammers? Cut and weld? Too many options..

I'm trying to track down a nice scalloped alloy tank.
TonUpSoldier

PostPosted: September 18, 2007, 12:20 am    Post subject: Re: Cafe' seat for a Special?

The tank shop in scottland. All polished alloy tanks made to order....cost you about 900 bucks after shipping..but it will be exactly what you want.
scotts

PostPosted: September 23, 2007, 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Cafe' seat for a Special?

TonUpSoldier wrote:
As for me, my biggest challenge now is to learn how to pound out those sweet knee indents into a tank....i'm scared...hahah anyone have suggestions??

www.airtech-streamlini...etanks.htm
Photo Gallery
scotts

PostPosted: September 24, 2007, 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Cafe' seat for a Special?

The seat/fender from Omars showed up today. No pics yet, but it's a VERY nice piece....thick, stiff fiberglass, not flimsy at all....great gel-coat, VERY nice seat pad.
I've only skimmed over the directions so far and it will be a while before I attempt to mount it. I must say, there's a reason his parts cost a little more. Again, VERY nice piece.
Photo Gallery
scotts

PostPosted: September 29, 2007, 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: Cafe' seat for a Special?

Here are some pics of the Omars narrow cafe fender.
We did a little trial fit....looks like the "hoop" at the end of the gas tank where the seat pan attaches will have to be cut off and "possibly" the tabs at the rear of the frame that the seatpan latch goes into. I say possibly because there's no way to sit the fender all the way down right now without removing the grabrail/taillight assembly. I'm not ready to start disassembling the bike yet as we still have a few more weeks of riding weather here.
The mounting is pretty straight forward and only one small hole needs to be cut to access the battery. You could do without the hole, but it would be nice to have it there to access fuses and such without removing the fender.
Pics follow this post....
Photo Gallery
scotts

PostPosted: September 29, 2007, 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: Cafe' seat for a Special?

The fiberglass is thick and sturdy; no floppy seat here.

p9250096 (large).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  78.63 KB
 Viewed:  317 Time(s)

p9250096 (large).jpg

p9250094 (large).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  130.45 KB
 Viewed:  302 Time(s)

p9250094 (large).jpg

Photo Gallery
scotts

PostPosted: September 29, 2007, 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: Cafe' seat for a Special?

The seat pad is on it's own seperate fiberglass pan. The padding is very nice and firm. The quality of the stitching and material is top-notch.

p9250095 (large).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  93.7 KB
 Viewed:  330 Time(s)

p9250095 (large).jpg

p9250098 (large).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  73.82 KB
 Viewed:  292 Time(s)

p9250098 (large).jpg

p9250097 (large).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  94.07 KB
 Viewed:  308 Time(s)

p9250097 (large).jpg

Photo Gallery
cswanson

PostPosted: October 4, 2007, 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: Cafe' seat for a Special?

Could the seat fit onto the frame without the tail? I've been looking for a seat like that, but I dont want the tail.

Forum Index -> Cafe Racer All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1