650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Electrical > > Electric starter wont work...

Electric starter wont work...
    Forum Index -> Electrical
jetflyr

PostPosted: July 20, 2007, 4:44 pm    Post subject: Electric starter wont work...

Ok, normally the tail light indicator illuminates when the bike is ready to start but it does not any more and when you hi the start button nothing happens. I've got a new starter relay in but am not convinced that this is the problem. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks.
jimmer
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: July 20, 2007, 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric starter wont work...

Check fuses first ... gotta confirm that. Did it EVER start since installing the new relay? I'm an electrical n00b ... but just think someone could help you with those questions answered.
jetflyr

PostPosted: July 20, 2007, 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric starter wont work...

Yeah, the fuses are all ok and all of the other lights illuminate.
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: July 20, 2007, 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric starter wont work...

Check your kill switch, or relay. Never had a tail light light come on, just my neutral light. Start checking wires for shorts. Could be your starter button itself.
Photo Gallery
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: July 20, 2007, 10:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric starter wont work...

what year is it?
jetflyr

PostPosted: July 22, 2007, 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric starter wont work...

79. I replaced the start button recently but it definitely could be the kill...

PostPosted: July 22, 2007, 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric starter wont work...

ok, new insight... What would be an indication of a battery that is being drained while the bike is off? I just went out and realized that the new battery is dead. It was working fine for a few weeks and now it's suddenly dead. My take is either the battery is getting an intermittent charge or that something is just drawing from it when parked. I dragged this thing out of a barn about a month ago and am limping through an impressive list of problems to make her reliable again. Thanks for all of the input...
-Jack
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: July 22, 2007, 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric starter wont work...

a new battery that isn't properly charged when placed in service will fail quickly, if it was just filled with acid and sent out the door with out being brought up to a full charge that could be the problem, however the main suspect on a otherwise good battery just going down is the rectifier / regulator since yours is a 79 with the separte units the recitifer is what you need to check, the heavy + red wire from the battery goes to the starter relay and dead ends there until the starter button engages the solenoid but the smaller red goes to the rectifier and main switch, since the switch was off no contact there, disconnect your ground cable and put a good volt or amp meter from - battery to ground and see what it reads then disconnect the rectifier (under the battery box) 3 wire plug red/black/green and see what the reading is a few micro volts is nothing to worry about but if it's drawing any current (amps) you've found the problem
jetflyr

PostPosted: July 23, 2007, 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: Electric starter wont work...

Thank you so much for the help. I charged it overnight and she was still dead. I called the place where I got the battery and though I was told that they charged it full when i picked it up I found out that they just top it with acid. I'm still going to check the rectifier and regulator as you suggested to see that they are within specs but you've saved me a lot of time. Thanks again.
-Jack

Forum Index -> Electrical All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1