650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Custom Work: Chop, Bob, Cafe and Flattracker - Streettracker > > Cafe Racer > > XS750 Tank onto 650

XS750 Tank onto 650
    Forum Index -> Cafe Racer
xs1961
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 22, 2007, 9:50 am    Post subject: XS750 Tank onto 650

Can someone post or direct me to a previous post that shows in detail ,without the rider obtructing the view,an XS750 tank on a 650 please?
Considering fitting one if 'everything- lines -up-n-looks right' Rolling Eyes
Photo Gallery
jasonrmorrow

PostPosted: May 22, 2007, 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: XS750 Tank onto 650

Heres mine, i had to weld two studs onto the frame, after i drilled the spot welds off the "stock cups".

Then i put the750 tank rubbers onto the studs and had to grind them a little bit narrower.

As for the tail piece, i grabbed it with a big crescent wrench and bent it flatter and closer to the tank. It used to point down at an angle, now it points slightly down, and then just before the mounting hole it bends flat.

I'm going tonight to work on getting the seat mounted solidly, i'll take some more pictures of the mounting for you.

INXS650
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 22, 2007, 10:00 pm    Post subject: Re: XS750 Tank onto 650

Bike is starting to come together. Isn't it odd that most of the other bikes out there use studs on the frame, and cups for the tank, but the XS650 is just the oppisite?
Photo Gallery
jasonrmorrow

PostPosted: May 23, 2007, 12:58 am    Post subject: Re: XS750 Tank onto 650

Ok heres a few more pictures...i took a picture of the bare studs from the top, but they looked really really crooked, so i deleted it hahaha, they don't need to be perfect is my point.

In order to level the tank without the tunnel hitting the frame...the discs are mounted quite a bit higher than the stock location...

then once the front studs and discs are done, just tweak the back until the tank follows the frame. Or sits level, or both.

Tonight i eliminated the stock hinges and latch....it just wont work well, i put 4 of the stock rubber bumpers on. You can see the front two in the tank/seat picture.

The front two contact the the frame itself, the rear two contact the stock crossmember behind the battery, or what was the battery.

For the tail bracing i plan on bracing off of the taillight mounting studs, with some heavy non flexing plate, move up off the studs and then run forwards to the stock frame hoop.

I dont want any bolts showing or holes on the tail at all.

The front bolts that hold the seat down are two bolts and 4 nuts. Drill a hole through the seat, through the welded in bracket. Then remove the seat, pass the bolt through the hole in the seat and secure the bolt to the seat with 1 nut.

Now you have two "studs" that you can hide with the upholstry, slip them down through the crossmember holes and run the other nuts up to cinch it down. I plan on using wing nuts and drilling the studs for a cotter pin to prevent them backing all the way off.

Since mounting this way it has become 10x more solid and is much straighter than i could ever get it with the stock single hinge and latch.

Therefore....i can cut off the hinge mounts and latch mount on the frame and narrow the seat a total of almost 1.5" which will make it much more comfortable. I'm going to have the upholstry place stick the seat on with velcro (as suggested here) or studs just like my design. I want to be able to access the seat base.

The way the caferace tail is made to fit the stock hinge and latch it is WAY too wide, it is very uncomfortable to rest your feet on the ground. I had to rest one foot and lean the bike over or the seat would dig into my inner thigh.

So if you are planning on buying the caferace inc seat off ebay as a "bolt on"...its not. I happen to think its one of the best looking tails so i'm still happy with it.

I didn't have a lot of time tonight so i didn't take too many pictures, but once the bike comes together and i'm actually riding it...i'll snap some more pics some day when i'm cleaning it.

xs1961
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 23, 2007, 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: XS750 Tank onto 650

Excellent..Thanks mate...Im definitely going to get myself one...
Photo Gallery
funranger
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: January 2, 2008, 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: XS750 Tank onto 650

Hello the pix on your post are not working can you send them to me
I an doing what sounds like what you have done and think the pix will
be a great help.
Thanks
Email- thepifers @ futuresouth.com

650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter