650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Custom Work: Chop, Bob, Cafe and Flattracker - Streettracker > > Cafe Racer > > Tintin's Cafe Racer project - BIG PICS WARNING!

Tintin's Cafe Racer project - BIG PICS WARNING!
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
    Forum Index -> Cafe Racer
tintin

PostPosted: May 8, 2007, 7:19 pm    Post subject: Tintin's Cafe Racer project - BIG PICS WARNING!

Sunday May 7 2007

I recently picked up a 1972 XS1B with a '77 engine in it. Just took it completely apart (not the engine yet).

Plans are for a cafe racer conversion with an alloy tank I picked up a bit ago, and the front drum off a 1971 XS1 I bought just 3 days ago. Will move the electronics and battery, run Tarozzi rearsets, clipons, need a seat etc. etc.

Located in Toronto. I cut my teeth on early 70's Honda SOHC's, including a 500, a 550 and a 750. My daily ride is a 1975 BMW R75/6 survivor - unrestored original with 36K miles and original everything.

The stable Sunday morning:

Then 2 hours later Wink

And the alloy tank that will fit once the tank cups are off the frame and coils are moved - going to a single coil Boyer ignition most likely.

Last edited by tintin on July 17, 2007, 6:58 am; edited 4 times in total
tintin

PostPosted: May 8, 2007, 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: My Cafe Racer project thread

Monday May 8 2007

Took the frame and other greasy bits to the carwash to powerwash the snot off. Sat the tank on the bare frame and saw which bits had to be sacrificed in the name of all that's Alloy.

Doesn't quite fit...

So a wee bit of surgery...

The new lean and trim front end. Tank mounting cups removed by drilling out spot-welds and horn bracket ground off. Coil hanger can stay - nice fit and will hold the single boyer coil at some point.

akes for a perfect fit!

jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 8, 2007, 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Tintin's Cafe Racer project

could you down-size your pics? 800x600 pixel, 59kbit jpeg going to look good all alloy
tintin

PostPosted: May 8, 2007, 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Tintin's Cafe Racer project

Sorry - pics are links to my photobucket site. I'll try to make them a little more user-friendly.
tintin

PostPosted: June 3, 2007, 10:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Tintin's Cafe Racer project

My latest acquisition for the bike. DID alloy 19" rim laced to an XS650 front drum brake Very Happy With new brake shoes which run $40 from 650central.

cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotor...0117482398

Yes, I stayed up till 2:40AM to win the bloody thing. Not sure why a guy in Florida posts an auction at 3AM but I'm not arguing. That and listing it as an 'sx650' instead of xs650 likely won me the auction. I came close to getting it for $50 but one other bidder was watching it. I wanted it more than he did Very Happy

It has been drilled for a typical brake stay, which means I can likely use it with just about any forks I want Smile 35mm front end here I come!

tintin

PostPosted: June 3, 2007, 10:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Tintin's Cafe Racer project

Pics of the Radian swingarm bolted on using the XS650 pivot bolt.

tintin

PostPosted: June 3, 2007, 10:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Tintin's Cafe Racer project

Here are the pics of the frame grinding.

With a plate stretched across the frame at the back end of where the seat will be along with the small plate near the end of the tank, I'll suspend an aluminum plate using bolts and spacers about the same depth as the frame rails to hold electronics etc. so there will be a solid aluminum plate under the seat facing the top of the tire acting as my 'fender'.

Before:

After:

ttmaniac

PostPosted: June 3, 2007, 10:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Tintin's Cafe Racer project

What kind of tank is that. That mother is sweet. $$$?
Photo Gallery
tintin

PostPosted: June 11, 2007, 12:52 am    Post subject: Re: Tintin's Cafe Racer project

Hi - I scored the tank locally here in the Toronto area. Couldn't believe my luck. I got it for $350, but then had to buy the Monza cap ($80) and the tank strap and toggle kit ($100) so it's an expensive venture to be sure.

It's a one-off hand made alloy tank, made in the UK somewhere. Not the Tank Shop - they suggested it might have been made by someone else.

Tank Shop tanks run about 400 pounds, so about $800 plus shipping etc. so you're looking at a good $900+ once it gets here and taxes are paid.

It was a splurge - bought it before I even bought the bike!

If I ever sell the 650 it will go with a different tank - probably a GS450 which I'll pick up sometime soon. The tank will stay with me Smile
650Commuter

PostPosted: June 24, 2007, 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: Tintin's Cafe Racer project

Very nice tank! I had to keep to my $50 budget for a tank, so I went with an XS750. Yours was worth the price. It will look fantastic.

Keep up the pictures.
Glen.
tintin

PostPosted: June 28, 2007, 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: Tintin's Cafe Racer project

Well, the frame is with the welder, and I'm reconsidering my choice of Radian swingarm. The shock mounts don't line up - they need to be moved on the swingarm towards the centre to align with the mounts on the frame.

Whoever suggested the Radian swingarm was a 'bolt-on' with the exception of the 17 vs 20mm axle was wrong, unless there are variants on the Radian swingarm.

I'm likely going to start with my stock swingarm, and perhaps move to the Radian at some point in the future.
650Commuter

PostPosted: June 29, 2007, 1:13 am    Post subject: Re: Tintin's Cafe Racer project/Radian swing arm

Thanks for the heads-up. I was just about to email a guy about buying his Radian swingarm. What year did yours come off? What parts other than the swingarm itself does one need to do this mod?

Thanks a bunch, Glen.
tintin

PostPosted: July 1, 2007, 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Tintin's Cafe Racer project

Well, I don't know what year mine was from, but I'm pretty sure they're all the same.

ake sure you get the chain tensioners (the bits to hold the axle in place and adjust it's position), the axle (17mm vs the stock 20mm), make sure the needle bearings are in place with the dust caps, try to get the pivot bolt and the brake drum arm that holds the drum in place.

I got all those bits for mine, except one part of the chain tensioner (a rectangular plate that fits in the back of the swingarm). I was going to make my own out of polished alloy.
tintin

PostPosted: July 11, 2007, 12:40 am    Post subject: Re: Tintin's Cafe Racer project

Got the frame back - had the Radian arm fixed to work.

Lots of new bracing and the right bits for my tank strap. Just enough room for my arse too, and the Radian arm now fits properly (shock mounts). Nice welds, and they cleaned up a lot of mess so it's ready to be blasted and coated.

tintin

PostPosted: July 11, 2007, 12:41 am    Post subject: Re: Tintin's Cafe Racer project

More pics.

ttmaniac

PostPosted: July 11, 2007, 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Tintin's Cafe Racer project

Those are some beautiful welds...looks to be excellent reinforcement. I can't wait to see the finished bike.
Photo Gallery
tintin

PostPosted: July 11, 2007, 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Tintin's Cafe Racer project

Me too! I just need to pull the bearings out of the swingarm, and drill a few holes/shape the front tank strap mounting tab and then it can go to the powdercoaters.

Also need some new bearings for the rear wheel to match the 17mm Radian axle, some spacers for it.

Once I have those bits, it can begin to go together into a rolling chassis.

The engine just needs the rocker cover dropped on and things torqued down. Then the ignition needs to go in (Boyer). Bit more cleaning is needed on the underside of the engine too. Then it can go into the frame.

Then it's front brakes, carbs, wiring, a seat, exhaust etc. and it'll be done.

I'm hoping to have it running by September. I'm losing a couple of weeks in July/Aug to vacation, but hope to have the powdercoating done while I'm gone.

Triple tree will be polished alloy up top and a matching powder or ceramic coat on the lower steel tree. Might have the 520 conversion sprockets ceramic coated too in black for fun. I have a 520 x-ring black/chrome chain coming for it.

I've already got the Tommaselli adjustable clipons, petcocks, new cables, grips, steering head bearings etc. sitting in a box ready to go on during assembly. Not much left to buy.
tintin

PostPosted: July 13, 2007, 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Tintin's Cafe Racer project

So today I snagged a set of VM36 Mikuni's and manifolds previously owned and tuned by Paul Whittaker, a sidecar racer. Should make things a bit more interesting once I get things together.
cscarroll

PostPosted: July 13, 2007, 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Tintin's Cafe Racer project

tintin,

I'd like to move my battery and electrics as well. Could really use some pics of your method when you get there.

Do you plan to stash the bits in the rear fender or elsewhere?

Photo Gallery
tintin

PostPosted: July 14, 2007, 12:33 am    Post subject: Re: Tintin's Cafe Racer project

I'm planning on making up an alloy tray that will sit below the seating area, in the same shape as the frame in that area (tapered towards the tank).

It will be a flat alloy plate with 1 inch or so sidewalls around. With bolts and 1 inch spacers it will hang from the metal plates I have welded in my seating area on top of the frame tubes. About 1/2 inch or so of the alloy tray will extend below the frame tubes.

In this area will be the electronic bits like the regulator/rectifier (will likely buy the combined unit from Mikesxs). I'm hoping to find one or two small sealed batteries to fit in this area, or will sort it out in the hump of the Manx style seat I'm either making or buying.

The wiring will run from the headlight under the top tube of the frame and then into this alloy tray. Shouldn't see any wiring exposed back of the headlight with the exception of the wiring from the stator.
tintin

PostPosted: July 14, 2007, 12:33 am    Post subject: Re: Tintin's Cafe Racer project

Lucky Friday the 13th for me Smile

Waited around in the morning for a meeting I had to have (phone call) and FedEx to arrive with my Bikebandit box full of goodies Smile Then I headed out to Guelph to pick up the Mikuni carbs from Gord Very Happy

Took some pics of the goodies I've been keeping in a box as I've collected the bits and pieces.

Are these not the finest looking fuel filters you've laid eyes on? Chrome and glass - no plastic.

That's an EK 520MVXZ x-ring chrome chain to go on the 520 conversion sprockets. Emgo chrome crankcase breathers, etc. etc.

tintin

PostPosted: July 14, 2007, 12:37 am    Post subject: Re: Tintin's Cafe Racer project

I'm looking into having the sprockets ceramic coated in black. Will look nice with the chrome chain and shiny new nuts and washers holding the sprocket onto the wheel. We'll see.
Xumi

PostPosted: July 16, 2007, 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Tintin's Cafe Racer project

Holy huge pictures batman - it took 3 minutes to load this page.
'95 VN1500A
Photo Gallery
tintin

PostPosted: July 20, 2007, 11:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Tintin's Cafe Racer project - BIG PICS WARNING!

When the heck does this forum create a new page of posts?

Forum Index -> Cafe Racer All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3