650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Welcome > > Introduce yourself to the community here > > Update...its a 76 and i got it to run...

Update...its a 76 and i got it to run...
    Forum Index -> Introduce yourself to the community here
jasonrmorrow

PostPosted: April 28, 2007, 8:55 pm    Post subject: Update...its a 76 and i got it to run...

Ok so i went and got it...serial # is 447-20xxxx so its a 1976 for sure, thanks for the heads up about that. I can't find any # on the front of the engine other than the 654cc casting. Whereabouts is the engine # ?

We did a cold (dead cold sat outside for a week hasnt run in a few years) compression test.

Left cylinder was 155psi right cylinder was 150. I wasnt exactly sure how to do it with a kick start, on a car i let it crank 5-7 times and then take the highest reading. My cousin kicked the bike quickly about 5 times and thats how we got the #'s.

So then to get it running...i pulled the battery out and we threw a charger/booster right onto the cables, it sputtered once in 5 mins...that wasnt working, so off come the factory air boxes, thats when i find that the right side carb wasn't even clamped into the manifold. Pop that back in tighten it up and start kicking again (the starter wouldn't turn over, relays click but thats all).

After a few more tries figured it was flooded so pull the plugs to clear it out and they are bone dry...no fuel, air lock in the lines, bleed that out 2 kicks with the choke on and its fired up to about 5000 rpm !! Adjusted the idle screw down and it will sit at about 1500 nicely.

So then to ride it...battery is 100% dead so i don't want to stall it, or get too far from the charger and have to push it back. You have to ride the clutch like crazy and give it about 3000 rpm and slip it out to move. But i did run around with it in 1st gear on the farm..tried second and the tune of the carbs really became an issue it wouldnt go anywhere.

So i'm happy it looks like the engine is solid, i was planning on new carbs anyways...clutch well maybe think about a hydraulic conversion. Front brakes are metal to metal and may have worn the disc out. Rear tire is too big, almost rubs the little support strut that comes back to the axle.

Signals dont work, headlight and brake light do work though. Horn kinda works haha sad little meeeep. Gas tank is perfect other than some scratches so i'll hang onto it or maybe sell it for some project money. One fork seal is leaking. Swingarm has some play.

The handlebar bushings are really sloppy, does everyone still run these when upgrading or do you do away with them ?? I guess they are called vibration isolators ? Throttle hangs up and lots of slop...clutch feel terrible as i mentioned.

So its time to tear into it...whats the first thing a 21 year old hot rodder does once it runs ?? Pull the baffles...I LOVE IT.

Neighbors might not though, some sort of quick release baffle would be nice.

Anyways thats my update. First of many...plus many questions to come.
kingwj
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: April 29, 2007, 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: Update...its a 76 and i got it to run...

Engine number hides behind the front engine mount.

1979 XS650F
1979 XS750SF
1972 Triumph Tiger
Photo Gallery
qferret
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 3, 2007, 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: Update...its a 76 and i got it to run...

Almost behind the oil pickup.... usually caked to the point of barely being able to see it if you haven't scraped all of the old goo of the engine yet...
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> Introduce yourself to the community here All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1