650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Engine > > Solidify your camshaft

Solidify your camshaft
    Forum Index -> Engine
landy

PostPosted: April 13, 2007, 8:41 am    Post subject: Solidify your camshaft

Hello everyone,

I wanna thanks Roy to provide me a inner valve spring, as showed on photos, on the right side inner spring has a wrong coil direction.

I believe a solidified camshaft would be help for reduce top end noisy, let me see how it perform.(photo 2)

well, a polished tappet and cam surface may be help a little I think.
kingwj
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: April 13, 2007, 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: Solidify your camshaft

Can you set your camera to lower resolution? The pictures are huge.

1979 XS650F
1979 XS750SF
1972 Triumph Tiger
Photo Gallery
landy

PostPosted: April 13, 2007, 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: Solidify your camshaft

Sorry! I will keep this in mind next time.
5twins

PostPosted: April 13, 2007, 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: Solidify your camshaft

deleted

Last edited by 5twins on September 16, 2009, 8:32 am; edited 1 time in total
landy

PostPosted: April 13, 2007, 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: Solidify your camshaft

Yes, thanks a lot, you guy just kindly enough!
I just noticed that after dismantle all valves off, it is lucky to find the weird inner spring, otherwise I may re-assembled without heed there are differences on both end.
5twins

PostPosted: April 13, 2007, 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Solidify your camshaft

Arrow

Last edited by 5twins on September 16, 2009, 8:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Jack

PostPosted: April 14, 2007, 12:02 am    Post subject: Re: Solidify your camshaft

Adding rotating mass to the inner camshaft won't suppress valve ticking or bearing noises.Your better off using the elephant foot adjusters...........Jack
landy

PostPosted: April 14, 2007, 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: Solidify your camshaft

Thanks for the suggestions, I read your article about elephant foot, that's a good idea, also attracted me too.

but for now, I have a very poor engine condition, scored cylinders(just rebored), oil leaking, countless of problems, I am not expect too much on the solid camshaft but did something while waiting for spare parts arrival. but I did find a little bit difference before and after when you knock it by a wrench. those the clearance exist, the knock occur, is'nt it?

Elephant foot is a good stuff, maximize the contact surface, maybe I will try that later,(but it looks like to be installed inside out of tappet?.....)
xsjohn

PostPosted: April 14, 2007, 10:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Solidify your camshaft

I have been considering cutting louvers in front of one side of the camshaft steel covers and the back side of the other on the opposite side to force air through the camshaft to help take some heat off the top end. I wouldn't think that dirt or grit would go in the cam bearing around the seal since it is pressurized from within. This may pull a few degrees off the top end and especially the camshaft. Haven’t don't it yet but I may.

John Underwood
Photo Gallery
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: April 14, 2007, 11:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Solidify your camshaft

water cooling would be far more effective you could build little water jackets for them and run a oil cooler as a radiator using a 12v pump to flow the water
xsjohn

PostPosted: April 15, 2007, 12:00 am    Post subject: Re: Solidify your camshaft

I have an old ice maker that may work as soon as I can get the 110 working properly and figure out how to make round icecubes.

ost top end noise is caused by heat and viscosity break down from overheated oil. Mine makes no noise. Setting the exhaust a .005 and the intake at a snug .004 makes the lobes strike more evenly when the engine is hot. This cuts a bunch of noise and chattering.

John Underwood
Photo Gallery
landy

PostPosted: April 15, 2007, 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: Solidify your camshaft

Good idea! and I believe the best benefit would be the cam seals, as I took the seals off, they were as hard as stone lead to oil leaking down to plug. maybe drill some vent holes on the cam cover does help.

As for liquid cooling run through camshaft, the firt thing we have to conquer is the rotating joint, but no dust adhere problems I think.
xsjohn

PostPosted: April 15, 2007, 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: Solidify your camshaft

There is no single remedy for top end noises. It's a combination of things that reduce the noise. Valve settings, cooler oil, carburetion, type of oil and viscosity. And cam chain tension.

John Underwood
Photo Gallery
landy

PostPosted: April 15, 2007, 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: Solidify your camshaft

You are right, normally I think of valave clearance or cam chain when engine rattling, but in this bike, when I adjust them both found no changes in noise pattern, after dismantled the engine, found out the cam bearings are culprits, the cam grumbling when rotated by hand(all accessories took apart, put cam in cylinder head sockets) after replaced new bearings, it come out complete silence! then I believe that's it!

How do you guys set your camshaft in the right position? there is no niche or somthing to lock its position, it can be easy to move aside, or just by looking the sprocket align with camchain?
xsjohn

PostPosted: April 15, 2007, 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: Solidify your camshaft

Center the cam chain wheel so the chain runs exactly true with the front chain guide. Since you can't really see the front guide center it the best you can in the notch between the cylinders.. If not the chain can ride on the edge of the guide and this can't be good considering front guide problems anyway.

I did check my cam bearings and they were smooth. Something to look at when it is apart thats for sure.

John Underwood
Photo Gallery
landy

PostPosted: April 15, 2007, 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: Solidify your camshaft

Thanks John.
xsjohn

PostPosted: April 15, 2007, 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: Solidify your camshaft

Those little bearings are expensive aren't they. Once you set them where you want tap the cam downward to be sure the bearings are centerd in the races. Once the top cap is place the bearings are stuck where they are set.

John
Photo Gallery
landy

PostPosted: April 15, 2007, 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Solidify your camshaft

The KOYO bearing which I bought is $3.7/ea. and thanks for the tip, I believe apply the cam a tap will make sure the tightness of camchain wo'nt change after top cap tighten up.

Forum Index -> Engine All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1