650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Custom Work: Chop, Bob, Cafe and Flattracker - Streettracker > > Cafe Racer > > Custom Mono-shock XS650

Custom Mono-shock XS650
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
    Forum Index -> Cafe Racer
gordonscott

PostPosted: August 6, 2009, 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: Custom Mono-shock XS650

Creative and personal build, FANTASTIC!!! This to me personaly is what it's all about "you can't buy cool you have to build it" and your looking pretty Cool
whitexk

PostPosted: August 6, 2009, 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: Custom Mono-shock XS650

thank you guys.

TeeCat wrote:
xsleo wrote:
Very well done. I might not have used a 73 to start with, I would have used a more available later frame. Kept the 73 stock, worth more than a later model.

Echo. With deference to the stunning workmanship and concept, using a rare '73 as a platform is not the route I'd have taken, but to each his own. Beautiful work, though.

aren't these things a dime a dozen, and i picked up the bike for 100 so i couldn't see it being worth much. so i went custom
Teebs

PostPosted: August 6, 2009, 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Custom Mono-shock XS650

Some of these guys would bitch no matter what year it was... they just bitch louder the older the bike gets. Because your frame is older and harder to come by it's no longer your property to do with as you please, but a communal property to be given for nothing to someone who will restore it to its proper, original obsolescence.

I'm looking at this thread and thinking that here is a guy that is turning an old, obsolete production bike into something totally cool and completely original, a one-off that nobody else has. There are plenty of stock '73s out there... only one of these.
TeeCat

PostPosted: August 6, 2009, 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Custom Mono-shock XS650

whitexk wrote:
thank you guys.

TeeCat wrote:
xsleo wrote:
Very well done. I might not have used a 73 to start with, I would have used a more available later frame. Kept the 73 stock, worth more than a later model.

Echo. With deference to the stunning workmanship and concept, using a rare '73 as a platform is not the route I'd have taken, but to each his own. Beautiful work, though.

aren't these things a dime a dozen, and i picked up the bike for 100 so i couldn't see it being worth much. so i went custom

Yes and no. XSs in the aggregate are plentiful. But TXs, produced for only two years and therefore rendered a subset, if only by their nomenclature, are increasingly uncommon. TXs in relatively unmolested condition are becoming more frequently sought out, and consequently the value is coming up. The most likely scenario is that the prior owner was not aware of the bike's caste in the XS lineage.

You were fortunate to get that bike. I paid fifteen times that for a cosmetically "reasonably clean" '73 that was not running, on the condition that I not cut it up and that I be gentle with my mods.

Again, it's a matter of personal preference, really. Your end result is stellar, but knowing what I know now, and had I your skill set, I'd start with a less uncommon platform. Just my take, though. Beautiful bike!

TC
Photo Gallery
Jack

PostPosted: August 6, 2009, 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Custom Mono-shock XS650

Keep chopping it Wink ,you would of spent more trying to restore it and probably recouped little in return. In the end if you ever decide to sell this fine machine,there will always be someone willing to pay you top dollar due to common interest and visions.
bbjsw10

PostPosted: August 6, 2009, 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Custom Mono-shock XS650

Jack, +1

Keep doing what you are doing, not everyone likes restored to stock. I like custom, if I wanted restored to stock I would get a 40's Indian or something to restore.

To each their own. It is yours make it that way.
xs1961
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: August 7, 2009, 2:44 am    Post subject: Re: Custom Mono-shock XS650

Chop it, bob it, hack it to bits, make it yours so it stands out in a row of clones ! Twisted Evil Stock bikes are boring exept to collecters whos minds are on their 'investment' rather than individuality !
gradually losing intrest... God help me...
Photo Gallery
jimxsrider

PostPosted: August 12, 2009, 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: Custom Mono-shock XS650

Props to you, I'm also hacking up an early xs, a '72 Haven't gotten any whiners yet though. Very nice work my friend.

jim
SHADOWSHADY

PostPosted: August 15, 2009, 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Custom Mono-shock XS650

This bike is incredible, lots of inspiration here. As for chopping a 73 being a sin, I guess I am a 3 time offender. My buddy and I are chopping three 73's right now.

Seriously though, nice work.

PostPosted: August 16, 2009, 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: Custom Mono-shock XS650

ive got some updates on my boot if you would like to call it that.

the second boot is going to double as a license plate holder.
bbjsw10

PostPosted: August 24, 2009, 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Custom Mono-shock XS650

Looking good, keep it up. I was actually going to give ya crap for no updates but low and behold there it is.
newelly

PostPosted: August 25, 2009, 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: Custom Mono-shock XS650

great bike... I really like the way its turning out...and again thanks for the detailed pics
Photo Gallery
oldkarkid

PostPosted: August 26, 2009, 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Custom Mono-shock XS650

Hey buddy, my ChopRocket is a 73 as well, and to boot I took a 70 bottom case and made it fit my motor.....you haters should be really pissed about that!!!!!!! In my eyes, your build rocks. Keep doin what no one else is doin. Its yours! I didnt get any offers to help pay for my 73 to get totally restored to original, and I doubt you did either! Until that happens and a pig drops out of the sky to deliver the check, keep doin what you're doin and let their panties try to get untied. I love it man.
whitexk

PostPosted: September 16, 2009, 10:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Custom Mono-shock XS650

TeeCat

PostPosted: September 17, 2009, 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: Custom Mono-shock XS650

Is that kind of a "Buell-esque" exhaust configuration? I like that! Smile
Photo Gallery
Teebs

PostPosted: September 17, 2009, 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: Custom Mono-shock XS650

This is really looking great. I'm always looking forward to updates on your build.
pumps
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

Location: Kansas City, Missouri, U.S.A.- 1977 XS650 "D" Standard

PostPosted: September 17, 2009, 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: Custom Mono-shock XS650

I'm one of those stock guys but that's for ME! You do whatever you want with your own. This build is looking pretty damn cool. I admire your ingenuity.

My Bikes
Photo Gallery
klink

PostPosted: September 20, 2009, 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Custom Mono-shock XS650

I'm a newby to the 650 cult and I just want to say I am really impressed with this project. Now that I've found it I'll check everyday for updates. Thanks for the write up and the pics.
whitexk

PostPosted: September 20, 2009, 10:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Custom Mono-shock XS650

klink wrote:
I'm a newby to the 650 cult and I just want to say I am really impressed with this project. Now that I've found it I'll check everyday for updates. Thanks for the write up and the pics.

thanks and thanks for the other comments guys, i wouldn't check everyday maybe every week. i just ordered my hydrolic lines but im going out of town to cali, a full time student and work full time and i have two other triumphs. im building so im thinking it should be close to be done late november.
whitexk

PostPosted: November 22, 2009, 10:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Custom Mono-shock XS650

getting ready for the powder coater and paint Smile

whitexk

PostPosted: November 26, 2009, 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Custom Mono-shock XS650

a little teaser

yamaman
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: November 26, 2009, 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Custom Mono-shock XS650

Awesome! Looking fantastic, cheers for the update.
despecial

PostPosted: November 26, 2009, 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Custom Mono-shock XS650

- very nice
- are you concerned about your rec-reg overheating hidden there under the seat?

PostPosted: November 26, 2009, 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Custom Mono-shock XS650

yes actually im going to mount it in the exact same place just on the out side

Forum Index -> Cafe Racer All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4