650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Custom Work: Chop, Bob, Cafe and Flattracker - Streettracker > > Cafe Racer > > 78 E Cafe Project

78 E Cafe Project
    Forum Index -> Cafe Racer
Cooltouch

PostPosted: March 10, 2008, 2:30 pm    Post subject: 78 E Cafe Project

Well, since I've finally gotten busy with ths project, I decided to share a bit of what I've done so far.

The bike is a 1978 E Standard. I bought it and about half of an early 1970 XS1 from a guy here in Houston for $500. It hadn't been running in a while, but the compression was good, and it was almost all there. Plus the seller threw in some extra stuff -- a pair of wheels from a Special and an extra set of forks and triple trees.

Now, I realize that $500 is a lot to pay for a non-running XS, even if it is a late Standard, but there was a method to my madness. I had no plans to keep the XS1 -- what there was left of it, at any rate. The bike was a motor in a frame with front forks, front wheel, and fenders. So, from the beginning, I put the word out that the XS1's parts were for sale. Ended up getting $425 for the frame, motor, and front wheel, so now I'm only into the 78 for $75, plus I still have the XS1's forks and fenders left, as well as the pair of Special wheels and the extra fork set. Sounds better now, don't it?

The guy I bought the bike from had it stored in his carpentry shop for quite a while. It was covered in sawdust and light surface rust. He had plans to make a tracker, and had cut off the rear frame loop, the seat hinges, seat latch, and other bits. So it wasn't a good candidate for restoration. A great candidate for a cafe bike, though.

Here it is after washing off the sawdust. It came with a tank, but I won't be using it. I've already picked up a tank from an XS750. Those ghastly ape hangers will be going in the trash.

A shot of things after I'd pulled off the pegs and pedals, carbs, header pipes, and most of the electrics:

Up on the lift so's I can take loose the rear wheel. I needed to do that to remove the chain and to get the battery box out.

Ready to pull the motor out, but before I did so, I set the XS750 tank atop the bike and hung a side cover. Yeah, it's got "the look."

More later.

Best,

Michael

'81SH, '80SG, '78E, '77D
NateDogg

PostPosted: March 10, 2008, 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 78 E Cafe Project

Hey, I have some clubmans I'll trade ya for those apes.....
beys

PostPosted: March 10, 2008, 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 78 E Cafe Project

will be a couple of work though, I'm looking forward to it... Laughing

MZ TS 250/1 with sidecar '77
XS 650 Euro 447 Standard '80,
XT 500 '81
XS 650 US 5V4 Heritage '82
cscarroll

PostPosted: March 10, 2008, 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 78 E Cafe Project

Always nice to have another cafe guy around. Good luck!
Photo Gallery
Cooltouch

PostPosted: March 10, 2008, 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 78 E Cafe Project

Nate, I don't think you would want those apes unless you're planning on getting them rechromed. They're not heavily rusted, just very very dull. But if you're really that interested, yeah, I'll trade ya.

Best,

Michael

'81SH, '80SG, '78E, '77D
NateDogg

PostPosted: March 10, 2008, 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 78 E Cafe Project

yeah, you're probably right....what about those lowering brackets out back....still trade for the clubmans....I've got some other odds and ends too....I have the same tank on my cafe....gonna look cool
cscarroll

PostPosted: March 10, 2008, 11:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 78 E Cafe Project

p.s. it's always nice to see a boxer make it's way into the pictures...
Photo Gallery
Cooltouch

PostPosted: March 11, 2008, 12:00 am    Post subject: Re: 78 E Cafe Project

cscarroll wrote:
p.s. it's always nice to see a boxer make it's way into the pictures...

Yeah, that ol Beemer just has to sneak its way into a photo now and again.

Best,

Michael

'81SH, '80SG, '78E, '77D
Cooltouch

PostPosted: March 15, 2008, 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 78 E Cafe Project

Welp, something happened to my website. My /motorcycles subdirectory disappeared with all the photos and html with it. I've sent an email to my hosting service, hopeful that they may have backups.

I still have all the photos that are gone now on my machine at home, so if there's no joy from my hosting service, I'll just start over.

Anyway. That isn't the reason for this post. I tried the electrolysis method shown here for removing the rust from a tank and had good results with it. I chose to immerse the entire tank rather than fabricate blind-off pieces for the petcocks and come up with a cap for the tank. I had an old 20-gallon aquarium that turns out was just the right size for this XS750 tank. Here it is after it had been "cooking" for about a day:

A look at the cathode:

I could tell when most of the electrolysis work was done because progressively less and less rust was being deposited on the cathode.

Because the tank was submerged, it came out of the aquarium with a film of rusty sodium carbonate slime all over it. I gave it a few half-hearted wipes cuz I wanted to take another picture. My cafe seat came in today, and I had to take a shot of the roller with tank and seat on it. Still looks ratty, but it's getting there:

This is the seat that cyclesurvival1 sells on eBay. It is pretty good sized, easily fitting over the XS650 frame rails with room to spare. There's more than enough room in the rear where the hoop does not need to be cut. The fiberglass is quite thick -- at least 0.100" maybe even 1/8" -- so it is very sturdy.

I noticed immediately when I sat on the seat that it is too wide for me. It's fine when I have my feet in riding position, but putting my feet on the ground, the seat digs into my legs. So, I think I'm gonna do a bit of modification to it. I'm figuring I can probably cut a slice out of the flat of the seat on each side -- narrow, pie-shaped pieces -- and then glue/glass the sides into the new, narrower position. Looks like I'll also have to notch the front of the seat so it'll fit over the rails.

Best,

Michael

'81SH, '80SG, '78E, '77D
dwyatt

PostPosted: March 16, 2008, 2:26 am    Post subject: Re: 78 E Cafe Project

Cooltouch,

I saw a couple of your early posts but didn't realize what you were building. I live in the Woodlands and and building a roadrace/track bike in my time off. We should chat and compare notes sometime, maybe have some ideas and left over parts to swap. BTW, I changed directions on my rear suspension and have a left over pair of Konis that need rebuilding if that is something on your wish list.

1978 Maico 440 Magnum
1956 Blonde TX Gal
Photo Gallery
dwyatt

PostPosted: March 16, 2008, 2:27 am    Post subject: Re: 78 E Cafe Project

Cooltouch,

I saw a couple of your early posts but didn't realize what you were building. I live in the Woodlands and and building a roadrace/track bike in my time off. We should chat and compare notes sometime, maybe have some ideas and left over parts to swap. BTW, I changed directions on my rear suspension and have a left over pair of Konis that need rebuilding if that is something on your wish list.

1978 Maico 440 Magnum
1956 Blonde TX Gal
Photo Gallery
dwyatt

PostPosted: March 16, 2008, 2:28 am    Post subject: Re: 78 E Cafe Project

Cooltouch,

1978 Maico 440 Magnum
1956 Blonde TX Gal
Photo Gallery
Cooltouch

PostPosted: March 16, 2008, 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: 78 E Cafe Project

I've never rebuilt shocks before, but I guess it isn't that hard. As long as they still look good, I'd be interested. Ping me offlist and let me know what you want for them.

Yeah, we should get together sometime. I'd be interested in seeing what you've got going on with your track bike, far as that goes.

Have you been picking Michael "Mercury" Morse's brain for roadracing info? He's still racing his, last I heard.

Best,

Michael

PS: I got an emal from my hosting service last night, letting me know they were able to restore my motorcycle directory, so the pics are back. Those guys are the best. Need a hosting service? $6 a month: topclasshost.com

'81SH, '80SG, '78E, '77D
5twins

PostPosted: March 16, 2008, 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 78 E Cafe Project

Rebuilding old Konis isn't hard at all once you fab up a pin wrench to get them apart. There's a thread on it here .....

xs650temp.proboards29....686&page=1
dwyatt

PostPosted: March 17, 2008, 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: 78 E Cafe Project

I found the article and just before I was to tear into them, I found a set of Fox Airshox on eBay. I'm moving the top mounts forward to cant the shocks, getting a little more wheel travel, but primarily to raise the rear for front wheel weighting. I'd just hate to see a pair of Konis sit on my shelf.
1978 Maico 440 Magnum
1956 Blonde TX Gal
Photo Gallery
dwyatt

PostPosted: March 17, 2008, 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: 78 E Cafe Project

I found the article and just before I was to tear into them, I found a set of Fox Airshox on eBay. I'm moving the top mounts forward to cant the shocks, getting a little more wheel travel, but primarily to raise the rear for front wheel weighting. I'd just hate to see a pair of Konis sit on my shelf.
1978 Maico 440 Magnum
1956 Blonde TX Gal
Photo Gallery
Cooltouch

PostPosted: July 3, 2008, 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 78 E Cafe Project

It's been a while since I've updated things here. I've been a little better about it at my blog. It's here if you want to have a look:

michaelmcbroom.com/blog/

Today's payday for me, so before too much of my funds gets blown on bills and other "necessities," I'm gonna order one of MikesXS's OD 5th gears. I have the motor torn down to the cases, but I've been waiting til I had the gear in hand before I opened it up.

After I get the gear and rephased crank installed, I should be able to put the motor back together with no more delays . . . I hope. Still need to reassemble the chassis, but I dunno if my budget will tolerate new tires, so I might have to wait some on it. I'm eBaying some stuff that, if it sells, will help fund this project a few more steps.

Know anybody who's looking for a performance clutch kit for a Volvo 740 turbo? Howabout four 35 lb/hr fuel injectors?

Best,

Michael

'81SH, '80SG, '78E, '77D

Forum Index -> Cafe Racer All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1