650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Custom Work: Chop, Bob, Cafe and Flattracker - Streettracker > > Cafe Racer > > To clip, or not to clip...

To clip, or not to clip...
    Forum Index -> Cafe Racer
TeeCat

PostPosted: May 9, 2008, 8:28 am    Post subject: To clip, or not to clip...

... that is the question.
Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer
The Slings and Arrows of factory sheet metal,
Or to take dremel against the glint of chrome,
And by opposing, end two troubles.

Razz

Hi, you lot! Smile

I'd like to request some opinions, once again, if I may. I have been struggling with what to do about the sheath of wires that exit the rear fender and feed my taillight. One way to solve the issue would be to clip the fenderand add two attachment holes to re-mount the taillight.

Questions: should I do it, and how would I? Would a dremel handle that? I cleaned up the leading edge of my previously clipped (by a prior owner) front fender with great success.

Thanks for your input! Smile

TC

Photo Gallery
lerch124

PostPosted: May 9, 2008, 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: To clip, or not to clip...

Personaly I think it would look sharp with a shorter fender. As for the dremal tool handeling it if you get the carbide cutting wheel I think it should handel it. but that's just one mans openion.
Photo Gallery
WayneMeuir

PostPosted: May 9, 2008, 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: To clip, or not to clip...

I think it would look better with the tail light up near the back of the seat and the lower part of the fender removed. But, it will probably rust where it is cut if it is not replated.

I like the seat a lot!

Wayne
Retiredgentleman
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 9, 2008, 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: To clip, or not to clip...

Run the wires under the fender with them coming up very close to the taillight. Leave fender as is.
TeeCat

PostPosted: May 9, 2008, 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: To clip, or not to clip...

Guys... I'm processing all your input. Smile

RetiredGentleman... that's one option I have considered. The only issue is that I have to put yet another hole in the fender, but I suppose it'd be small. There are already two - one where the wires currently exit and one where the brab bar was mounted - but I suppose I could fill them with plastic plugs, yeah?

TC
Photo Gallery
5twins

PostPosted: May 9, 2008, 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: To clip, or not to clip...

I would leave the fender and move the tail light up closer to where the wiring now comes out. I would lose that bulky looking coil wrap and just put a shrink wrap sleeve on the wires, at least the portion above the fender.

Make a backing plate the same size and shape as your license plate. Then you could attach that to the fender matched to existing holes and attach the light and license plate to it. In effect, your backing plate would be your tail light mount.
TeeCat

PostPosted: May 9, 2008, 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: To clip, or not to clip...

twins, that's one I had not considered at all! If I did that, it would have the aesthetic effect of elevating the tail light and plate, and making the fender appear shorter! And it would solve the spurious holes issue. Hmmmm... good thinkin'! Razz

TC
Photo Gallery
5twins

PostPosted: May 9, 2008, 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: To clip, or not to clip...

'70s BMWs have a backing plate mounted to the rear fender to hang your license plate off of. They mount it with counter sunk bevel headed machine screws, like the style that holds the butterfly plate to the throttle shaft in our carbs. That way, you're not mounting your plate over protruding bolt heads. Stove bolts would probably work as well, having a lower head profile.
TeeCat

PostPosted: May 9, 2008, 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: To clip, or not to clip...

I have very limited fab capability, though, so I may have to start with a pre-fabbed plate and mod it if I can.

TC
Photo Gallery
xsleo

PostPosted: May 10, 2008, 1:18 am    Post subject: Re: To clip, or not to clip...

your bike looks much cleaner without the grab rail and turn signal mount, with the mounts on there it looked like somthing was missing. now it's clean.

'75 XS650B with a 79 dual disc front end, rear disk brake, Chrysler reg, Radio Shack rect, LED tail/ brake and turn signals.
Photo Gallery
TeeCat

PostPosted: May 10, 2008, 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: To clip, or not to clip...

5twins wrote:
I would leave the fender and move the tail light up closer to where the wiring now comes out. I would lose that bulky looking coil wrap and just put a shrink wrap sleeve on the wires, at least the portion above the fender.

Make a backing plate the same size and shape as your license plate. Then you could attach that to the fender matched to existing holes and attach the light and license plate to it. In effect, your backing plate would be your tail light mount.

This will work great! Smile I have it mocked up now. Piccies as soon as I get it all finished. Smile

TC
Photo Gallery
TeeCat

PostPosted: May 15, 2008, 6:22 pm    Post subject: Piccies...

Guys...

Thanks to all for your responses and suggestions! As promised, here's the finished product. Still need to place a few pieces of electrical tape on the loom under the fender, and might run the two inches or so of visible loom into the hole instead of a rubber grommet.

No expense spared on this gal. Only suitable plate frame I could find cost me 40 clams. Sad And see the wrinkle finish on the back of the mounting plate? What the hell... *shrugs* Smile

TC

Photo Gallery
dpmphoto

PostPosted: May 15, 2008, 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: To clip, or not to clip...

looks nice,I was thinking about getting one of those mikes seats, how is it working out for you? also I agree that rear light wiring is not doing the bike justice, perhaps a piece of thin wall tubing pressed into an oval,cut at an angle to sit flush on the rear fender, little rubber for vibration then painted, chromed or powder coated would make a nice one of a kind housing for the light with the wires out of site and protected, just a thought on how I might approach it. Nice job on the bike

Forum Index -> Cafe Racer All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1