650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Custom Work: Chop, Bob, Cafe and Flattracker - Streettracker > > Cafe Racer > > Thinking of going cafe...need some advice

Thinking of going cafe...need some advice
    Forum Index -> Cafe Racer
nickmo

PostPosted: October 23, 2009, 4:23 pm    Post subject: Thinking of going cafe...need some advice

Hey everyone,
I got my hands on a 79 special a little while back and have had a custom build planned for it since I got it. Recently though, I have been considering going cafe with it. I got an 18" rear wheel off of a 74 or 75 standard for my other project, but I don't know if I can just replace my 16" with it-thats one of my questions.

I was also wondering if there's anything else about the special that makes it a bad platform for a cafe build. I know the specials and standards are a little different, but I don't know how much.

I have just started considering this as a serious option, so if anyone has any links to cafe parts and such so I can do some more research I would really appreciate it. I am aware of Omars and have just tripped across a few others but have been generally not impressed (not with Omars, I did find some good stuff there).

Thanks

Cafe_Shop
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: October 23, 2009, 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Thinking of going cafe...need some advice

The special has a lower tail section. By at least an inch. Still works. Put longer shocks on and it will have quicker handling then a standard.

All XS wheels are interchangeable. I have an 18" standard rear and an 18" xs350 front wheel on my cafe.

Here are my favorite links:

www.guzzino.com/norapa.html

www.mikesxs.net

www.airtech-streamlini...ntage.html

www.650central.com/

www.clubmanracing.com/cafeseats.php

The ultimate US cafe racer parts site:

www.benjiescaferacer.com/
Photo Gallery
2WheelsGood

PostPosted: October 23, 2009, 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Thinking of going cafe...need some advice

I am curious about what people have used for rearsets and what stock mounts can be removed from the frame.
nickmo

PostPosted: October 23, 2009, 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Thinking of going cafe...need some advice

Thanks CS.

I think I would probably keep it low, maybe lower the front a little too. I am concerned with the angle of the backbone though. Maybe it's an optical illusion, but it appears as if the standards have almost zero rise in the backbone & specials have several degrees of rise. It's probably the way the tanks are designed, but it's worth asking, I want to be able to achieve that straight, flat look.

dpmphoto

PostPosted: November 10, 2009, 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Thinking of going cafe...need some advice

built cafe's out of both,not a problem with the special at all;however most prefer the rear shock angle of the standard for cafe.I think the most important part of making a good looking cafe out of the xs is to have the right tank and seat which will probably be your most expensive purchases.Alot of guys have used the xs 750 tank which is ok but in my opinion doesnt really do a cafe bike justice.Check out this website for tanks and seats www.airtech-streamlining.com.
dpmphoto

PostPosted: November 10, 2009, 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Thinking of going cafe...need some advice

built cafe's out of both,not a problem with the special at all;however most prefer the rear shock angle of the standard for cafe.I think the most important part of making a good looking cafe out of the xs is to have the right tank and seat which will probably be your most expensive purchases.Alot of guys have used the xs 750 tank which is ok but in my opinion doesnt really do a cafe bike justice.Check out this website for tanks and seats www.airtech-streamlining.com.
dwyatt

PostPosted: November 11, 2009, 2:48 am    Post subject: Re: Thinking of going cafe...need some advice

I used a 1983 Special, works great. Like the others said, raising her ass with longer shocks will make it handle better. Lots of little tricks on here, just troll the posts and ask questions.
1978 Maico 440 Magnum
1956 Blonde TX Gal
Photo Gallery
jetmechmarty

PostPosted: November 11, 2009, 5:16 am    Post subject: Re: Thinking of going cafe...need some advice

Other than the shock angle, the frames for Specials and standards are the same. There are only minor differences like fittings for seats and bodywork. The passenger peg mounts are different. As far as the basis for a custom, there is no difference that matters.
nickmo

PostPosted: November 14, 2009, 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Thinking of going cafe...need some advice

Hey fellas, thanks for the info, I feel better about the whole project now.

dpmphoto, I don't plan to use the stock tank. I had a cb200 tank in mind to use. It's slim from the top and has nice flat sides, I think it'll look pretty good.

I have some new floor to lay that'll probably take up my next few weekends, but I'll start a thread in the cafe forum when I get it started.

Thanks again

klink

PostPosted: November 14, 2009, 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Thinking of going cafe...need some advice

I too was thinking about going the cafe route and checking on availability of tanks and seats. While Airtech has some good looking stuff they don't feature anything specific for the XS650. In fact XS650 isn't even listed in their Yamaha section.

Forum Index -> Cafe Racer All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1