650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Electrical > > Turn Signals do not work....

Turn Signals do not work....
    Forum Index -> Electrical
jerm

PostPosted: August 16, 2009, 11:22 am    Post subject: Turn Signals do not work....

Head, tail, and license plate lights work properly. Any ideas based on pictures below?

dsc_0001.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  33.5 KB
 Viewed:  283 Time(s)

dsc_0001.jpg

dsc_0002.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  30.72 KB
 Viewed:  275 Time(s)

dsc_0002.jpg

xsleo

PostPosted: August 16, 2009, 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: Turn Signals do not work....

Do they light up when you try them, and not flash? If so either the bulbs are wrong or the flasher is bad. With a stock flasher the bulbs have to be the stock 27 watt bulbs. The 21 watt bulbs won't draw the current to get the flasher to flash.
In your first pic, the wire unhooked I think is the wire for the brake light, the blue wire is the tail light, the brown wire and the grey wire? are the turn signals, black wires are ground.
In the second pic, that plug goes to the side stand switch. It is part of the safety system that keeps the bike from starting and running with the side stand down. It has been bypassed. Not a problem.

'75 XS650B with a 79 dual disc front end, rear disk brake, Chrysler reg, Radio Shack rect, LED tail/ brake and turn signals.
Photo Gallery
jerm

PostPosted: August 16, 2009, 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: Turn Signals do not work....

They do not light up at all.
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

Location: Kansas City, Missouri, U.S.A.- 1977 XS650 "D" Standard

PostPosted: August 16, 2009, 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Turn Signals do not work....

You don't list a model so I'll go by mine. The signal wires are green(right) and brown(left). Blacks are ground as mentioned.Under the seat you'll see them. If you check with a voltmeter and no power there I'd probably look in the headlight shell to see if the are connected and have a clean connection. Also under the tank is the flasher. Check to see if it is unplugged or has a poor connection. Here is what the old flasher and a new smaller one I installed look like.

The new type bought at Advance Auto maybe $10?.

In your picture it looks like the brown one is hooked in with the blue and should be with another brown. Do you have a manual?
www.knucklebusterinc.c.../XS650.pdf

Under the fender going to the back should be brown and green for signals along with two black grounds.. Yellow and blue for stop and tail and blacks for grounds.

My Bikes
Photo Gallery
xsleo

PostPosted: August 16, 2009, 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Turn Signals do not work....

The turn signals work by taking power from the brown wire. Power flows from the brown wire to the flasher. Out of the flasher on the brown/white wire to the switch. Out of the switch on the dark green and chocolate wires. DG is the right side, CH is the left.
I would start checking for blown bulbs, then power at the brown wire at the flasher.
If not there check the fuses. If there check the brown/white wire, if power is there, check for power at the switch.
The contacts in the switch can be dirty/burnt enough to prevent power from flowing. Clean the contacts, a dab of dielectric grease can help them stay clean.
If you have power to the switch, check for power after the switch. If you have power that far. Check for power at the sockets. If you have power to the sockets and good bulbs don't light check the grounds.
There are ground wires hooked under the signal mount nuts, these should be plugged in to the black wires in the first pic.
Cleaning and tightening the connections, a dab of dielectric grease here is a good thing too.

'75 XS650B with a 79 dual disc front end, rear disk brake, Chrysler reg, Radio Shack rect, LED tail/ brake and turn signals.
Photo Gallery
oldbikenut

PostPosted: August 16, 2009, 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Turn Signals do not work....

I had grounding issues with mine.

If the turn signals light up and don't blink, I would think it would be a grounding issue or flasher, if they don't light up at all make sure to check if you're getting power to them.

PostPosted: August 16, 2009, 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Turn Signals do not work....

Should both of the turn signal grounds be going into the same connector? Should they be going into the connector with one or two blacks coming out of the other end? The connector that currently has nothing plugged into it has two blacks coming out of the other end.
The loose black wire is actually the second turn signal ground. However, the lights still do not flash when it is connected. How much power should I have at the sockets? Thanks in advance.

650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: August 16, 2009, 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Turn Signals do not work....

As I recall three blacks go into a connector coming from front. 12 volts DC.
xsleo CH being chocolate?
Basic XS wiring.
650rider.com/index.php...at=0&pos=1

My Bikes
Photo Gallery
jerm

PostPosted: August 31, 2009, 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Turn Signals do not work....

In case anyone cares what the culprit was: 2 of the 3 wires had come un soldered inside of the switch. Thanks for the help.

PostPosted: August 31, 2009, 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Turn Signals do not work....

"In case anyone cares what the culprit was: 2 of the 3 wires had come un soldered inside of the switch. Thanks for the help. "

I had that problem on 2 of 2 Yamahas of this vintage. I have a feeling that will be the problem 9.9 out of 10 times. And the 0.1 time it isn't it will be soon... They weren't soldered properly at the factory.
Photo Gallery
pumps
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: August 31, 2009, 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Turn Signals do not work....

So it going again, Great!

My Bikes
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> Electrical All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1