650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Electrical > > bobber wiring clarification.

bobber wiring clarification.
    Forum Index -> Electrical
xsbrian

PostPosted: May 11, 2009, 11:36 pm    Post subject: bobber wiring clarification.

So I've been reading a lot on here about wiring alterations but things just aren't totally clear to me. I have a 74 motor and an 81 regulator/rectifier. Ive read that the TCI reg/rec will work if wired up correctly. I've also read that the fundamental difference between the point and tci charging system is all in how the brushes were wired for points motors vs tci motors.

This is the opportunity to clarify the wiring to me and anyone else who finds all these different wiring threads a bit confusing. Here is my sketch of what I understand to be "correct." According to my current schematic, I believe the green wire should supply both brushes with a positive charge. The only thing I'm not totally sure of is my brown wire. Do I cap it off or what?

I'm hoping for a very straight forward white to white, green to green, red from battery w/ 10amp inline fuse to red reg/rec kind thing. Once I get this figured out I'm going to put together a quick youtube video with an actual hands-on video of the wiring setup. Any additional info would be greatly appreciated.
Retiredgentleman
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 12, 2009, 1:16 am    Post subject: Re: bobber wiring clarification.

xsbrian;
On your 74 the brush on the right side is grounded by the metal screws and the black wire. To use the 80 to 83 Rec/Reg that brush must be removed from ground and a wire with battery voltage run to it.
Read this post by Pamcopete, as he explains it very well.

xs650temp.proboards.co...hread=9336
Photo Gallery
xsbrian

PostPosted: May 12, 2009, 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: bobber wiring clarification.

Much thanks retiredgentleman -

I was hoping you would reply as I've noted your comments in the past to be pretty spot on. The link was very helpful as it is pretty much exactly what I'm asking. Now I think I understand the assembly. I need to un-ground the points assembly by replacing the metal screw with a nylon screw. I also need to supply + voltage to both the green and brown wires. Correct? I've updated my schematic accordingly and assuming the brown wire from the reg/rec SUPPLIES positive voltage. Please let me know if I'm still missing anything.

best

xsbrian

PostPosted: May 12, 2009, 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: bobber wiring clarification.

Much thanks retiredgentleman -

I was hoping you would reply as I've noted your comments in the past to be pretty spot on. The link was very helpful as it is pretty much exactly what I'm asking. Now I think I understand the assembly. I need to un-ground the points assembly by replacing the metal screw with a nylon screw. I also need to supply + voltage to both the green and brown wires. Correct? I've updated my schematic accordingly and assuming the brown wire from the reg/rec SUPPLIES positive voltage. Please let me know if I'm still missing anything.

best

Retiredgentleman
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 12, 2009, 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: bobber wiring clarification.

Have a look at this diagram. The brown wire is the same 12+_ supply to the rec/reg and to the right brush. The green wire is the control wire and runs from the rec/reg to the left brush, only.

tci basic jpeg.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  52.72 KB
 Viewed:  2893 Time(s)

tci basic jpeg.jpg

Photo Gallery
pamcopete
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 12, 2009, 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: bobber wiring clarification.

xsbrian

Here's your diagram with the addition of the ignition switch:

It's the inner brush that has to be isolated. It has THREE screws that have to be replaced with nylon (not plastic) screws. The brown wire is then connected to the now isolated brush. Not shown in the diagram is a reccomended 10 Amp inline fuse on the brown wire between the ignition switch and the reg/rect and brush.

PostPosted: May 14, 2009, 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: bobber wiring clarification.

This is all going very well. I went out last night and did some nylon screw purchasing and some rewiring. Attached is a picture of the brush assembly.
I'm assuming I am un-grounding the arrowed screws. Am I correct?

Also - Upon further review, my rotor/stator wiring is a little different than what others have been mentioning. I have 3 whites, 1 green, 1 black, 1 blue (neutral), and 1 sort of whiteish wire (could be yellow but seriously looks like a dirty white).

I think the whites are obvious and so are the green and blue wires. But I'm am only assuming the black is my other brush which needs power? Attached is a photo.

Thanks.
Retiredgentleman
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 14, 2009, 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: bobber wiring clarification.

Yes, the 3 circled screws need to be nylon. The black wire that is on there now should be removed and replaced with a brown wire that supplies battery (13 volts), preferably via a 10 amp fuse.

If one wire appears to be a dirty white, that is actually yellow that brings an AC voltage from the alternator centre to the Safety Relay.
Photo Gallery
xsbrian

PostPosted: May 15, 2009, 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: bobber wiring clarification.

Rock and Roll -

I replaced the screws w/ nylon screws. I followed pamcopete's diagram. I figured the black wire was clearly running to the opposing brush and needed to be ungrounded and juiced. My rotor ohms out a little weak so I'm probably going to pick up a replacement in a week or so and finally figure out if all my wiring efforts have worked out.

At idle, the bike appears to maintain a 11.8 -12v charge. I'm thinking that with the engine idle increased, my voltage would be greater but again, I think the next best step for me would be to replace the old weak rotor.

I will assemble a video and post a link here in the next week or so showing my wiring arrangement, rotor swap, nylon screw replacement, etc for all to have a look at the next time someone comes around with a similar question.
xsbrian

PostPosted: May 25, 2009, 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: bobber wiring clarification.

100% success! Everything has been wired and after a simple upgrade from a 10 amp fuse to a 30 amp fuse I'm up and running for the summer at 14.6 volts! I'm putting together a video today and will upload to youtube and here within a day or so for anyone to reference in the future. Special thanks to 650rider members "Retiredgentleman" and "pamcopete".

I'm also uploading a very quick visual example of how exactly to test a rotor. With the xs650 being one of the most popular "experiment" bikes, I'm betting a lot of newer guys may not actually know how.

Please check back in on this thread in a day or two.

best-

xsbrian
pamcopete
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 25, 2009, 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: bobber wiring clarification.

xsbrian,

Well, great! However, I think that you should reconsider the 30 Amp fuse. If you get a short some day, it will probably fry the wiring before it blows a 30 Amp fuse. If you are blowing the 30 Amp fuse now, then you have a problem.

PostPosted: May 25, 2009, 10:42 pm    Post subject: Re: bobber wiring clarification.

The reason I upgraded to the 30 amp was because the 10 amp fuse was blowing every now and then. I went through two in two days and after going with the 30 amp, all appears to be awesome. Do you suggest switching to a 15 or 20 amp fuse for a trial period or are you saying it should be 10 amps or it's a problem?
jimmythetrucker

PostPosted: May 25, 2009, 11:05 pm    Post subject: Re: bobber wiring clarification.

That 10-amp fuse may not blow any more now that you've got everything wired up correctly. Give it a try. See what happens. What's it gonna cost if it blows?
Retiredgentleman
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: May 26, 2009, 1:38 am    Post subject: Re: bobber wiring clarification.

The main fuse that comes from the battery positive should be a 20 amp fuse. However, its not good to run your bike with only one fuse. Yes, some riders only use one fuse, but using a few 10 amp fuses is cheap insurance that you don't burn up some expensive components.

Recommended:
10 amp in the line that feeds Rec/Reg and brushes.
10 amp in the line that feeds the Ignition coil(s)

Last edited by Retiredgentleman on May 28, 2009, 1:51 am; edited 1 time in total
Photo Gallery
xsbrian

PostPosted: May 28, 2009, 12:32 am    Post subject: Re: bobber wiring clarification.

So here's the link to my video!
www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8mnmH59Azc

Also, I'm not sure if it will work but I'm also going to try to embed it below.
Note that I also have an intro video that is maybe a minute and a half which explains my bike and parts set up.

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/i8mnmH59Azc&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/i8mnmH59Azc&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>
harleysmakegooddonorparts

PostPosted: November 8, 2009, 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: bobber wiring clarification.

Retiredgentleman wrote:
Yes, the 3 circled screws need to be nylon. The black wire that is on there now should be removed and replaced with a brown wire that supplies battery (13 volts), preferably via a 10 amp fuse.

If one wire appears to be a dirty white, that is actually yellow that brings an AC voltage from the alternator centre to the Safety Relay.

Do these 3 screws need to be replaced with nylon screws if i am using a separate regulator and rectifier?
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: November 8, 2009, 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: bobber wiring clarification.

no only if you are changing from a separate reg/rec (79 and earlier wiring) to a combined reg/rec

wiring.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  30.17 KB
 Viewed:  1669 Time(s)

wiring.jpg

pumps
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

Location: Kansas City, Missouri, U.S.A.- 1977 XS650 "D" Standard

PostPosted: November 8, 2009, 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: bobber wiring clarification.

xsbrian- excellent video. Like the documentary one too. Hank SR. kicks ass.

My Bikes
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> Electrical All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1