650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Engine > > Tony Hall (late of Halco), talks about lubrication

Tony Hall (late of Halco), talks about lubrication
Go to page 1, 2  Next
    Forum Index -> Engine
650skull
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: March 25, 2009, 7:39 am    Post subject: Tony Hall (late of Halco), talks about lubrication

Here is an article i came across from the late Tony Hall on the lubrication system......... Some good info and tips
Photo Gallery
yamaman
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: March 25, 2009, 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: Tony Hall (late of Halco), talks about lubrication

Thanks Skull, I nominate that to go into the read only forum!
Cheers

jimmythetrucker

PostPosted: March 25, 2009, 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: Tony Hall (late of Halco), talks about lubrication

We got a couple of dudes here locally that drag-race big fours for fun. They say "NO!" to Slick 50 in wet-sump engines because it works too well. Use Slick 50, they say, and you end up with a slippery clutch.

I don't know personally, but they claim so, and they build a lot of motorcycle engines.
yamaman
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: March 25, 2009, 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: Tony Hall (late of Halco), talks about lubrication

"wet-sump"...........wet clutch I think you meant!

I've heard a lot about adatives, usualy saying NOOOO don't do it, so I've never done it.........Anybody???

650skull
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: March 25, 2009, 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: Tony Hall (late of Halco), talks about lubrication

On the slick 50, this has to be taken at face value unless it can be verified by some one who was at HALCO, as Tony is not alive today to be able to confirm what he had done.......... Tony was the XS guru and had the experience so why would he make this statement if he had not proved it to himself? ..........When you read the article, he does recommend slick50
Photo Gallery
yamaman
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: March 25, 2009, 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: Tony Hall (late of Halco), talks about lubrication

650skull wrote:
he does recommend slick50

Though he says he's not a fan also!
I was just wondering if any punters had tried slick 50 or similar?

jimmythetrucker

PostPosted: March 25, 2009, 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Tony Hall (late of Halco), talks about lubrication

Yeah, I meant wet-clutch engines. The drag-racers here claim Slick 50 will make your wet clutches slip. As I said, I don't know because I never tried it but it makes sense on its face, at least. I do know that Slick 50 is real highly thought of in the trucking industry. Only caution from that quarter is to break your heavy-duty diesel in before you load in Slick 50. If you run Slick 50 off the showroom floor, word is that the rings don't seat. But there again, I never tried it.
xs1961
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: March 25, 2009, 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Tony Hall (late of Halco), talks about lubrication

I use slick 50 , always have, never had clutch-slip even on my 840's..Theres two types, one for cars - another M/C's ..Highly reccomended !
gradually losing intrest... God help me...
Photo Gallery
yamaman
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: March 25, 2009, 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Tony Hall (late of Halco), talks about lubrication

Nice to hear XS1961, I've always heard that it's a great product. But always to many neighsayers!

Anyone know of, or used a product called Roil? I'd gladly pay the price for the Slick 50, but I've already got a gallon of Roil that I use in all my other engines!
Cheers.

jimmythetrucker

PostPosted: March 25, 2009, 11:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Tony Hall (late of Halco), talks about lubrication

XS1961 -- Do you have to add Slick 50 with every oil change or is one treatment enough to last for a while? And do you use it on a new engine from Day One or do you break that new engine in before you treat it?
pumps
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

Location: Kansas City, Missouri, U.S.A.- 1977 XS650 "D" Standard

PostPosted: March 25, 2009, 11:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Tony Hall (late of Halco), talks about lubrication

I have heard in automobiles to break them in first.

My Bikes
Photo Gallery
xs1961
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: March 26, 2009, 4:42 am    Post subject: Re: Tony Hall (late of Halco), talks about lubrication

I add half the bottle at every other oil change ..Its too expensive to add at every fresh oil change
ie. 0 miles- New oil + 1/2 bottle of slick50
1,000 -1,200 miles later - fresh oil only , at next 1000-12000 oil change add the other half..
Tony Hall got me on to this donkeys years ago, adding it helps smooth the gearbox up for starters ..
I was a bit wary at first due to clutch concerns but its never affected them(yet)

Photo Gallery
650skull
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: March 26, 2009, 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: Tony Hall (late of Halco), talks about lubrication

xs1961 it is good to hear it works

Last edited by 650skull on March 26, 2009, 9:18 am; edited 2 times in total
Photo Gallery
650skull
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: March 26, 2009, 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: Tony Hall (late of Halco), talks about lubrication

yamaman wrote:
650skull wrote:
he does recommend slick50

Though he says he's not a fan also!
?

He said he was "not a fan of additives" but recommends slick 50.
Photo Gallery
TeeCat

PostPosted: March 26, 2009, 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Tony Hall (late of Halco), talks about lubrication

I might have to consider adding a little Slick50 to my 20/50 dino oil, though of late my clutch seems quite smiley after some fussing with cable lubing, actuator replacement, and adjusting.

y biggest concern, though, is that after reading this, I really need to replace my sump filter. I have not checked it yet, and need to now that the bike is tagged and running more. I have a replacement, but need to decide if I need to reinforce it, where and how to do that, and whether I'll need a new gasket.

TC
Photo Gallery
yamaman
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: March 26, 2009, 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: Tony Hall (late of Halco), talks about lubrication

My interpretation was that he was not a fan of additives, however if you must use an additive, then Slick 50 was the one to use.

Slick 50 is an additive.

yamaman
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: March 26, 2009, 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Tony Hall (late of Halco), talks about lubrication

Hi TC, welcome back! Would be good to have a gasket at the ready I'd think!

There's a few good mods for the filter here somewhere, would be good to do it to a new filter. Have a bit of a look around, I'm sure you'll find it!
Cheers

TeeCat

PostPosted: March 26, 2009, 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: Tony Hall (late of Halco), talks about lubrication

Hi, yami...

I think I might actually have that mod thread bookmarked at home.

I have been around... just crazy busy!

TC
Photo Gallery
oldskoolcool

PostPosted: March 26, 2009, 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: Tony Hall (late of Halco), talks about lubrication

thats a good thing to remember, the tach drive is run off of the oil pump. Good way to know your pump is pumping. I shoud really fix my tear in my filter. Next oil change i guess thats the project.
yamaman
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: March 26, 2009, 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Tony Hall (late of Halco), talks about lubrication

This is part of a letter from Halco I lifted from this site:

www.excess650.co.uk/index.htm

It's mostly about fuel, but was interesting to read his thoughts on valve clearances.

Jake68
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: April 7, 2009, 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Tony Hall (late of Halco), talks about lubrication

The Don.

R.I.P Tony.

What a geezer. I totally pushed him with questions in the past and he just patiently answered them.

Literally the UK is a lesser place without him.
Photo Gallery
xs1961
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: April 7, 2009, 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Tony Hall (late of Halco), talks about lubrication

Yep...Could go down there for a cuppa & yak for yonks about the XS & always come away with something you didnt think you wanted/neeeded to buy.. Crying or Very sad
He told me shortly before his death he was worried about the trade that he was losing to the likes of MikesXS & was finding it hard to source stuff cheap enough to compete..Poor bugger..

Photo Gallery
Mikesxs

PostPosted: April 7, 2009, 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Tony Hall (late of Halco), talks about lubrication

"The likes of Mikes XS" !!! Tony was a distributor of my products and we had a good relationship as I was able to supply him with many unavailable parts at a low price. Tony placed a large order with us 2 days before his death ( a Thursday, I spoke to him on the next day( a Friday ) about how he wanted it shipped and he was gone the next day. Tony's secretary called me on the Monday to inform me of his death ( I was one of the very first to be notified and few people know the real story).Tony had quietly been suffering from a severe case of MS for years.

Get your story staight instead of making things up !

Mike @ Mikes XS
xs1961
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: April 7, 2009, 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Tony Hall (late of Halco), talks about lubrication

Whoa..off yer horse..When I said 'the likes of MikesXS' I was refering to the fact that he was finding that he was no longer the only source of XS parts for UK buyers and that we could buy cheaper abroad in some cases!
yours was the only retailer name I could think of in my post.. I did not say he had referred your buisness to me or anyone at all in that respect..
I do not make things up, how many times did you go to his premises & pass the time of day ?

Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> Engine All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2