650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Drive > > Mounted my new tires this weekend

Mounted my new tires this weekend
    Forum Index -> Drive
MN_TX650

PostPosted: March 24, 2009, 4:27 pm    Post subject: Mounted my new tires this weekend

A friend of mine has a No-Mar tire changer (http://www.nomartirechanger.com/), and helped me mount my new avon roadriders this weekend. My question is this...is the tire supposed to pop on the bead like solid cast rims? It does not appear that mine "popped" on like my experience with other tires has been. The tires to appear to be evenly spaced aroung the rim though...
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: March 24, 2009, 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Mounted my new tires this weekend

depends if they were well lubed might have went on easy, also some tire brands can be a slightly looser fit to the rims, if they are even all the way around they should be good to go
MN_TX650

PostPosted: March 24, 2009, 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Mounted my new tires this weekend

I will check them again before I install the wheels on the bike, but after we mounted them, they looked even all the way around. Spun them on his balancing stand, and they looked good too. Just wanted to see if the old XS rims maybe had a looser tolerance that would keep the beads from really popping on
jimmer
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: March 24, 2009, 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Mounted my new tires this weekend

There should be a 'small thin line' around the tires which you align to the rims to center them. Use wd40 to 'help' them seat centered. Also there is a (yellow) dot on the tire ... align it to the valve stem.
yamaman
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: March 24, 2009, 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Mounted my new tires this weekend

I dragged this out of an old post, might help some????
Definatley better if you have 3 tyre levers, 2 standard bike irons & 1 a bit longer comes in handy.
I use a spare car wheel as a bench, my bike wheels fit in there nice. And it keeps the discs ect off the ground.
A few points on tyre fitting:
1. Compessed air is dangerous, so be careful!
2. Make sure directional arrows are going the right way
3. Most tyres these days have a coloured dot on them. This indicates the lightest point of the tyre, the dot should go along side the valve.
4. To seat the bead properly you need to use soapy water or something slippery to make sure the bead settles correctly. Check the bead line is even all around on both sides, if it's not deflate and try again till it's right! 50 psi should be more than enough to seat the bead!
Cheers

blue900

PostPosted: March 24, 2009, 11:45 pm    Post subject: Getting new rubber also

I removed my old rear tire from the rim tonight. I may get the new tire on tomorrow night. If I remember right the last one did pop when the bead seated. I will post what it does. I have the cast wheels also.

Note: the Handyman jack works well to break the old tire bead off the rim for removal if you don't have a machine.
Photo Gallery
MN_TX650

PostPosted: March 25, 2009, 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: Mounted my new tires this weekend

It didn't take much to pop the old tire off the bead, and the thin line is even all the way around. We hit it with 50 psi before backing it off. What is the common concensus on proper PSI to run on the XS? I know with my VTX the Honda specs cause the tires to cup horribly. After trial and error, others have come up with the ideal amount to run, and I have not had any problems since upping it. The avons sure look sexy on the old rims. Should have some pictures up shortly...
MN_TX650

PostPosted: March 25, 2009, 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: Mounted my new tires this weekend

And my son sneaking in the picture this morning LOL

blue900

PostPosted: March 25, 2009, 10:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Mounted my new tires this weekend

No luck getting the tire on tonight and its snowing like crazy. The dunlop site says for a 650 30psi front 32psi rear when fully loaded (2up I think)

last summer I ran mine at 24 front 29 Rear seems good

yamaman
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: March 25, 2009, 10:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Mounted my new tires this weekend

Keep that tyre nice & warm before you fit it, bloody hard to fit frozen tyres!
moondog

PostPosted: March 27, 2009, 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Mounted my new tires this weekend

What size Avon's are these? They look pretty cool.

PostPosted: March 27, 2009, 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Mounted my new tires this weekend

The Weather is straitening up, I got the new Tire on today. This time I did it in the house, Last Time Outside the wind kept drying out the soapy water. Seemed to go smoother this time. Plus it was much warmer inside.

I aired it up to 45psi no pop for the bead seating. So I guess its a quiet Process.

I'm excited to go for a ride tomorrow.

I am trying some Dunlop Elite 3 Touring Tires, this time around. this will be my 3rd rear tire since I started riding the bike in 2006, I will be replacing the front also this time, I ordered it today from Elmers Imports in Blackfoot what an amazing Guy. If you live in the area its a good place to get regular stuff for Bikes.

The last rear was a dunlop 404 it was ok but seemed to wear fairly fast but was a better price, i think it was more of a sports tire. Each Time I Spend more on the tires trying for better ones.

Off to get it Balanced up,and maybe on the bike.
Photo Gallery
pumps
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

Location: Kansas City, Missouri, U.S.A.- 1977 XS650 "D" Standard

PostPosted: March 28, 2009, 12:21 am    Post subject: Re: Mounted my new tires this weekend

"24 front 29 Rear seems good"

Worked for me too. Right out of the manual.

My Bikes
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> Drive All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1