650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Frank-in-Bike, Non XS parts that are Interchangeable > > Front / Rear Ends and Shocks > > "HELP"-Taper Bearing Install- Front Forks

"HELP"-Taper Bearing Install- Front Forks
    Forum Index -> Front / Rear Ends and Shocks
mobsters1972

PostPosted: February 22, 2009, 5:03 pm    Post subject: "HELP"-Taper Bearing Install- Front Forks

Hello Everyone, Newbe here:

I am putting together a XS together and i bought the Taper Bearing replacments form Mike's. Instructions are very bad on the box and I am not sure if i should tap the lower taper bearing on the stem without a spacer. The spacer and rubber dust seal on the stem were in very bad shape, do they need to be reinstalled with the new tapered bearing?

Any help would great, detailed instructions would be nice if someone know were they are.

Thank you

LF
yamaman
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: February 22, 2009, 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: "HELP"-Taper Bearing Install- Front Forks

Yes, keep the dust seal & washer. This may help:

www.650rider.com/index...opic&t=218

mobsters1972

PostPosted: February 22, 2009, 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: "HELP"-Taper Bearing Install- Front Forks

i was hoping that was not the case, the washer i removed was cracked and the dust seal is pretty dry rotted. Anyone know were i can get new ones?

Thanks again.

LF
5twins

PostPosted: February 22, 2009, 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: "HELP"-Taper Bearing Install- Front Forks

I don't recall a spacer or washer on the lower part of my tree, just the all rubber seal and the lower ball bearing race. Remove and discard the lower race, keep the grease seal. It will help hold the grease in your new bearings. It's also a good idea and mod to install a grease nipple on the side of the steering neck while everything is apart. This will allow for easy re-greasing of the new bearings in the future without the need for a tear-down.

Also take a close look at the 2 slotted ring nuts that hold the tree into the neck and adjust your bearing pre-load. They have one side that is totally flat and the other is dished in slightly. Install them dished side-to-dished side. They lock together better and more progressively this way. It also presents a totally flat side down on the bottom ring to pre-load your bearings and a totally flat side up on the upper ring to support your upper triple tree.

grease nipple.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  46.46 KB
 Viewed:  3732 Time(s)

grease nipple.jpg

yamaman
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: February 22, 2009, 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: "HELP"-Taper Bearing Install- Front Forks

Onya 5twins, I do believe your right there! Not sure what I was thinking, been a while I suppose!
mobsters1972

PostPosted: February 22, 2009, 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: "HELP"-Taper Bearing Install- Front Forks

thanks everyone, do you know were i can get a new dust seal?
yamaman
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: February 22, 2009, 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: "HELP"-Taper Bearing Install- Front Forks

Pretty sure MikesXS doesn't have them, I didn't see them there anyway.......Try Yamaha? 650Central maybe?
DogBunny

PostPosted: August 26, 2009, 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: "HELP"-Taper Bearing Install- Front Forks

5twins wrote:
It's also a good idea and mod to install a grease nipple on the side of the steering neck while everything is apart. This will allow for easy re-greasing of the new bearings in the future without the need for a tear-down.

So how do you keep the grease from coming out of the steering lock mechanism after doing this mod?

650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: August 26, 2009, 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: "HELP"-Taper Bearing Install- Front Forks

when it starts coming out quit pumping it in
pumps
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

Location: Kansas City, Missouri, U.S.A.- 1977 XS650 "D" Standard

PostPosted: August 26, 2009, 10:11 pm    Post subject: Re: "HELP"-Taper Bearing Install- Front Forks

Mobsters1972- If you are speaking of the rubber seal on the lower tree under the lower bearings (Yamaha Part No: 164-23462-00) I actually got mine at the local Yamaha dealer. I think it is used on other bikes. I also got the dust cover? that goes on top of the upper bearings there. Less than $10 for both.

My Bikes
Photo Gallery
DogBunny

PostPosted: August 26, 2009, 10:38 pm    Post subject: Re: "HELP"-Taper Bearing Install- Front Forks

jayel wrote:
when it starts coming out quit pumping it in
Fair enough, thanks.
pumps wrote:
Mobsters1972- If you are speaking of the rubber seal on the lower tree under the lower bearings (Yamaha Part No: 164-23462-00) I actually got mine at the local Yamaha dealer. I think it is used on other bikes. I also got the dust cover? that goes on top of the upper bearings there. Less than $10 for both.
This brings me to my next question. How do you remove the bottom stem bearing without destroying the rubber seal, and without special tools?

EDIT: Never mind, I see that you can remove the rubber seal, and then pry/drive the race off. Thanks.

Forum Index -> Front / Rear Ends and Shocks All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1