650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > General Conversation > > I'm just saying... you know > > What boots do you wear for riding?

What boots do you wear for riding?
Go to page 1, 2  Next
    Forum Index -> I'm just saying... you know
sschering

PostPosted: October 6, 2008, 11:52 am    Post subject: What boots do you wear for riding?

Just wondering what boots/shoes everyone wears for riding.

I just got a pair of Lacrosse Firetech Gauge 8" zipper side insulated steel toe boots..
Not a motorcycle specific boot but they feel better than any of the HD branded boots.

Down side if they lack some of the ankle armor a riding boot would have..

William's Law ...

Last edited by sschering on October 6, 2008, 2:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
yamaman
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: October 6, 2008, 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: What boots do yuo wear for riding?

Love my 12 year old Rossi's , old, soft and fairly worn but very comfortable still fairly weatherproof. they go well under my jeans so you can wear them anywhere.
I've got a pair of Sidi's for racing, to uncomfortable to walk in so I dont wear them unless I have to or on the track.

5twins

PostPosted: October 6, 2008, 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: What boots do yuo wear for riding?

I started out as a kid with cowboy boots of course. I eventually started acquiring real motorcycle specific boots. Pretty nice but expensive. My favorites now are East German Army surplus boots. Several years ago, these were available for as little as $20 a pair. I stocked up Smile You can still find them on eBay but of course the price is higher and the size selection is not as good. The officer's version is double leather and taller. The enlisted man's is just a single layer and shorter but cooler in really hot weather. The soles are a nice slip resistant rubber or PVC.

cgi.ebay.com/East-Germ...286.c0.m14
drifter
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: October 6, 2008, 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: What boots do you wear for riding?

Tony Lama cowboy boots.

Dave

"Never mind the track. The track is for punks. We are Road People. We are Cafe Racers." Hunter S. Thompson
Photo Gallery
Cafe_Shop
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: October 6, 2008, 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: What boots do you wear for riding?

Knee-high Converse boots

I like to be able to feel the pegs & controls. Thick soled boots leave me operating blind.
Photo Gallery
killer

PostPosted: October 7, 2008, 9:37 pm    Post subject: Re: What boots do you wear for riding?

I've been supporting my local boot manufacturer. Double H is good quality and American made. I've been wearing this style Harness Boot for years. A few years ago you could pick these up at the Womelsdorf factory outlet as seconds for around $60 (provided you could find your size).

www.doublehboots.com

1979 XS650 2F0
pumps
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

Location: Kansas City, Missouri, U.S.A.- 1977 XS650 "D" Standard

PostPosted: October 12, 2008, 10:30 pm    Post subject: Re: What boots do you wear for riding?

I wear some not too high EMS leather duty boots that my employer provides as a reward for being a good boy. Sometimes I also wear my leather structural firefighting boots.

My Bikes
Photo Gallery
sschering

PostPosted: October 13, 2008, 1:22 am    Post subject: Re: What boots do you wear for riding?

Interesting.. The boots I got were made for EMS duity.

William's Law ...
delirious

PostPosted: October 13, 2008, 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: What boots do you wear for riding?

sorry guys, but i wear harley boots, though all the damn HD logos have been taken off, or ground smooth...lol
Photo Gallery
delirious

PostPosted: October 13, 2008, 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: What boots do you wear for riding?

sorry guys, but i wear harley boots, though all the damn HD logos have been taken off, or ground smooth...lol
Photo Gallery
xsjohn

PostPosted: October 13, 2008, 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: What boots do you wear for riding?

Flip Flops.................xsjohn
Photo Gallery
mlcarter815

PostPosted: October 13, 2008, 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: What boots do you wear for riding?

Nike running shoes.
TeeCat

PostPosted: October 13, 2008, 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: What boots do you wear for riding?

Sidi B2s for my Ninja 250R and the TX, though I'm looking for a more classic boot for the TX.
Photo Gallery
sschering

PostPosted: October 13, 2008, 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: What boots do you wear for riding?

RedWings are always a good choice.
I might get these for my next pair.. The toe on my LaCrosse boot is already showing wear from the shifter.

www.redwingshoes.com/p...rodid=1065

William's Law ...
xs1961
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: October 13, 2008, 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: What boots do you wear for riding?

Only Dr.Martens (10 eylet) since 1972 ...
gradually losing intrest... God help me...
Photo Gallery
nuklearzelph

PostPosted: November 8, 2008, 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: What boots do you wear for riding?

i am very particular about my footwear, so all i wear anywhere is a sturdy set of heavy leather boots with vibrom soles and full leather. they need steel tow and waterproofing too :0
JAKE76XS650

PostPosted: November 8, 2008, 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: What boots do you wear for riding?

I currently use my old basic training boots that are a little too worn to keep polished but still great boots. waterproof, slip-resistant soles and prettly damn good quality. problem is they cost about $180 plus if you buy them at cost. might check out an army surplus store for a better deal.
Jake
gordo
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: November 8, 2008, 10:59 pm    Post subject: Re: What boots do you wear for riding?

I just purchased a pair of exelement harness style boot's from leather up .com for 49.95 plus shipping. Look like a good set of boot's,& the review's sounded genuine,so, for $50 clams, I'll give those a shot.
pumps
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

Location: Kansas City, Missouri, U.S.A.- 1977 XS650 "D" Standard

PostPosted: November 9, 2008, 1:20 am    Post subject: Re: What boots do you wear for riding?

Part of my loot for not calling in sick for a year..

danner striker ii gtx quarter boots.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  35.58 KB
 Viewed:  225 Time(s)

danner striker ii gtx  quarter boots.jpg

My Bikes
Photo Gallery
xsleo

PostPosted: November 9, 2008, 9:34 pm    Post subject: Re: What boots do you wear for riding?

what ever wallyworld has a good price for. currently herman surviours . a copy of the army jungle boot.

'75 XS650B with a 79 dual disc front end, rear disk brake, Chrysler reg, Radio Shack rect, LED tail/ brake and turn signals.
Photo Gallery
Gmaan
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: November 15, 2008, 3:59 am    Post subject: Re: What boots do you wear for riding?

Oktar boots. They have armor, and saved my shins several times from rocks. I commute 65 miles each way every day, I have been hit by many things on the super slabs. Cigarette butts, rocks, soda from McDonald's, and ran over some PVC pipe once(had to change my shorts when I got home) I like the boots they look like Mad Max boots! They keep my feet's warm in the winter, work great in bar room fights, and I will fit into Obama's army perfect, while goose stepping down the road!!!

Hey XSjohn, flip flops? LOL

Wink

1974 Kawasaki H1 500 triple (MY BABY)
1975 Yamaha TX 650 (just need paint)
jimmythetrucker

PostPosted: November 15, 2008, 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: What boots do you wear for riding?

I wear harness boots as tall as I can find. I like to be covered below the knees. Gmaan is right about the rocks: I've seen fist-sized leg-breakers hop off the back of a dump truck moving 60 mph before. Get hit in the shins by one of them and you'll be glad you got the tall boots. Another thing is the kickstarter. If I ain't got my shins armored, I always bark my right shin on the footpeg when I use the kickstarter. I never use the electric, except for maintenance.

When I started, harness boots were as cheap as dirt. They were made of rough-out pigskin that wore like iron and looked like hell. They were cowboy work boots, made for riding and roping and wading in s***, and nobody who was the least bit fashion conscious wanted a pair of those. The first pair I bought cost me $38. With occasional resoles, they lasted fourteen years.

These days, you pay as much as $400 for a quality harness boot. Even a 'cheap' pair runs $100. But most harness shops do resole jobs for $30-to-$50, so you can make 'em last for years. We used to have a harness shop here locally that, if you told him you're a biker, he put a sole on those boots about 3/4 of an inch thick. They wore like iron and, with my old boots on top of them, they were real comfortable. There must be other guys in harness shops who'll do the same.
weekendrider
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: November 15, 2008, 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: What boots do you wear for riding?

jimmythetrucker wrote:
Harness shops
Do you mean a cobbler or shoe/boot repair shop? The circles I travel in a harness shop would be a tack shop or saddlery.

I wear Red Wings, blunt toe, both steel toe and plain.
www.redwingshoes.com/p...rodid=1099

PostPosted: November 20, 2008, 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: What boots do you wear for riding?

Dr. Martins for me too, unless its chucking it down then I wear water proof bike boots

Forum Index -> I'm just saying... you know All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2