650Rider, xs650 hosted by XS650.com

What Happened to 650rider.com?

650 Rider went offline for about a month at the beginning of 2010. In order to save the technical information that was here, XS650.com acquired the site and brought it back online as a read-only archive. If you were a member of 650 Rider, you will need to re-register at XS650.com

Search 650Rider.com and XS650.com using Google!

650Rider Menu
 Community  Information

xs650 > > Motorcycle Systems > > Engine > > First ride of the year....horrible

First ride of the year....horrible
    Forum Index -> Engine
Irish

PostPosted: March 14, 2008, 3:35 pm    Post subject: First ride of the year....horrible

Well I got out the old girl for a little zip around the block, ran terrible, seems the right and left cylinder took turns not running. On start up the right did not fire, after a min or two running on the left the right started running. As I rode the left and right took turns not running. With a angry twist of throttle they would both seem to come to life. Looks like another full carb tear down, boy it's really getting old. A new trouble free bike sure sounds good.
Photo Gallery
weekendrider
Support Staff
Support Staff

PostPosted: March 14, 2008, 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: First ride of the year....horrible

Hope you get it worked out quick. Maybe replacing the gas with newer and a longer run would be a fix? Do you have manual or vacuum petcocks?
I'd like to shut mine off and run the carbs dry if it will sit for a week or so.
Hard to do with the vacuum petcocks.
Cooltouch

PostPosted: March 14, 2008, 10:02 pm    Post subject: Re: First ride of the year....horrible

Not trying to be a smartass, really, but don't you guys who have to put up your bikes for the winter either completely drain your tank and carbs or use a fuel stabilizer?

Even down here in Houston, I've found that if I let my XS sit for more than a couple of months, I have to pull off the carbs and clean them. Gasoline nowadays -- at least around here -- is pure crapola.

Best,

ichael

'81SH, '80SG, '78E, '77D
jayel
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: March 14, 2008, 10:39 pm    Post subject: Re: First ride of the year....horrible

full tank with stablizer, a dry tank will rust, drain the carbs, battery on low current battery tender charger, started on second kick yesterday, I also kick it over about once a week during storage to keep cylinders oiled and rust off valve seats, after first start the electric start worked fine just like to start it the first time with the pedal------- as to the poor running I agree probably bad gas try new fuel and add some SeaFoam fuel conditioner to the gas it will clean out gum and varnish might not have to tear them down for cleaning, any good auto supply should have SeaFoam
bulldog1980
650Rider Supporter
650Rider Supporter

PostPosted: March 15, 2008, 1:39 am    Post subject: Re: First ride of the year....horrible

Amen to seafoam... I never heard of the stuff till bout three years ago when my father in-law told me to try it on a vehicle of mine and it did wonders...

PostPosted: March 15, 2008, 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: First ride of the year....horrible

put seafoam in it before it was parked for the winter
Photo Gallery

Forum Index -> Engine All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1